Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2023, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
From a materials/manufacturing standpoint, there is no substantial difference between a bicycle helmet and a styrofoam cooler that Walmart sells for about 5 USD. There is some money spent on getting the design to pass safety tests and liability insurance. I see almost no reason for the most expensive helmet in a company’s range to cost any more than the cheapest helmet at retail. They spend a fair amount in marketing to differentiate the models and justify the cost difference. They could just as easily manufacture their best helmet and sell it at essentially the same cost as their cheapest model, but the differentiation model calls for them to withhold features from the cheaper models to justify the difference.
This is just flat out not true
Old 01-29-2023, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
Howdy, everyone. When I was a teenager in the '90s, shopping for my first "real" bike, the guy at the store told me to just get the cheapest helmet that fit. His logic was basically that all helmets protect your head exactly the same - it would be super awful if people without a lot of money would be denied adequate protection! So, with that in mind, I've always worn pretty cheap helmets. I'm pretty sure I've never paid more than $70 for one.

After a few of years of faithful service, it's definitely time to replace my current helmet, and I have no idea where to start. I'm looking around, and there are apparently helmets selling for over $300??? What?

So my question is, what on earth is the benefit of these ultra-expensive helmets? Is it just weight, or is there some other benefit I'm missing? For those of us that aren't competition racers, can I safely ignore these boutique items, or are there real benefits I should be taking advantage of? Your experiences and feedback welcomed.
Giro sells helmets for $300 and for $70
As already said, the increased cost gets you better ventilation and lower weight, protection is the same.
Here's a comparison: https://www.giro.com/on/demandware.s...lmets&backUrl=

Me, I recently bought a Helios for $187
Old 01-29-2023, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
Howdy, everyone. When I was a teenager in the '90s, shopping for my first "real" bike, the guy at the store told me to just get the cheapest helmet that fit. His logic was basically that all helmets protect your head exactly the same - it would be super awful if people without a lot of money would be denied adequate protection! So, with that in mind, I've always worn pretty cheap helmets. I'm pretty sure I've never paid more than $70 for one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Every manufacturer I've spoken with has recommended replacing your helmet every three years, and not buying a helmet that's been sitting around on a shelf for more than a 2-3 years. Car seats for infants and toddlers also have a use-life of ~6 years. Is it a sales conspiracy? Are they being overly cautious? Maybe and maybe, but what they heck, I'll spend a couple of hundred bucks every few years for some fresh headgear.

I sell hundreds upon hundreds of helmets a year. I usually start with the Specialized Align II, which, as much a I'm pissed at Specialized, have to admit is the best sub $60 helmet on the market. Then I say, 'If you'd like something a little lighter, a little sleeker looking, and with better ventilation for longer rides try this.' And show options in the $100-$150 range.
Above that, the improvements *are* there, but, just like with bikes, the returns per dollar spent diminish significantly.
Seems like we had a similar upbringing in cycling, Turkle. I have never spent more than $100- I did however get employee purchasing on most of them.

Then those people came along. Honestly, I can't suffer another myth made up by Big Bike Marketing. I've said this on this forum before, and I'll say it again. Until there is substantial research that a helmet needs to be "tennis-ball vacuum sealed tube-fresh" to work, I am not buying that. They just sorta said it, and everyone jumped on board, because it means selling more helmets. It's wasteful, and I'm not letting the it get to me, and I refused to tell clients of the shop that story.

Here's the deal. If your helmet is in a crash, replace. Cracked-replace... If it's got piece of the plastic cover missing, or chunks of styrofoam missing, replace. Don't replace because it's 2 years old. https://helmets.org/up1505a.htm
https://www.consumerreports.org/bike...t-a5593905789/

I have nothing against spending more to get features. But it's not like if you spend under $60, you don't care about the safety of your head. That's preposterous- it really is. Get a helmet from a bike-specific company that's approved by regulatory agency, CPSC/Snell, and go ride your bike. No reason to complicate this one.

I have a Specialized Airnet, btw- really nice, comfortable and slightly aero, but not expensive. And they're on closeout on the website now.

Last edited by carlucci1106; 01-30-2023 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 06:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
my head's is pretty valuable to me, so spending a couple hundo on a helmet that fits nicely and looks good seems reasonable.

if you treat them right and don't crash, they can last a long time.

over the years, I've spent WAY more on tires than helmets. compared to groupsets, wheels, etc the cost of a lid is just in the noise...
BUT, if the helmet you try on fits really well, looks good but is only $100..would you pass? This idea that a helmet needs to be expensive to look good and fit well is not accurate. Particularly the 'look good' part, which is subjective. POC as an example.
I wear a Mavic helmet, $90..fits great, cool, not expensive.

And uber light helmets, even tho they pass the CPSC guide lines for crash worthiness, may protect your head not as well as a 'heavier' helmet.

For right below.....Kinds like unscented toilet paper..costs more.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-30-2023 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 06:57 AM

Helmets are made by making the basic head shaped item. The manufacturers found that if they make this protective dome thinner, and then also cut more or larger holes in it, they can charge more.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:26 AM

https://helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

2 best helmet is $100 from Specialized.

Interestingly, in the top-10 or so, the road helmets are all more expensive than similar protective mountain helmets. There are a few <$100 road helmets, but they’re mostly in the $250-$300 range, while the mountain helmets are all sub-$200.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:47 AM

Oh, whaaa?? The cheaper ones are better? We better round up all the poor -performers, and air-drop them in Death Valley, where UV light will degrade them into dust. Then give everyone who participates a rebate on new purchase.

Y'all 'll thank the Fed later for the public service-

Edit: I guess this graphic does not plot the test results, just the price, sorry. But my quip remains. Seems there is no correlation whatsoever between price and results in this test group.
Attached Images
File Type: png Annotation 2023-01-30 074139.png (27.9 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by carlucci1106; 01-30-2023 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Interested in a new helmet. Like the fit of Bell but wouldn't mind trying something else. What brands fit similar to Bell? Thanks for any input.
I wore Bell helmets for many years, starting with the Biker.

Last time around I went with a couple of Lazers (road and mtb). They fit quite similarly to the Bell and are top rated by the VT.edu study mentioned earlier.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-30-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

And uber light helmets, even tho they pass the CPSC guide lines for crash worthiness, may protect your head not as well as a 'heavier' helmet.
This is a great point. I think it is important to keep in mind that many (most?) times, helmets are designed to pass the current tests in place. They are not necessarily designed to protect your head in a fall as the exact nature of any given impact scenario cannot be predicted. Helmets are also not designed to protect against multiple impacts. So, the only thing that you can accurately state is that helmets provide some measure of protection in the event of a head impact in a fall.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:41 AM

I bought a new helmet last fall based on the Virginia Tech ratings. I went with the overall highest rated road helmet which was a $70ish Lazer helmet, rated higher at the time for safety than other Lazer helmets that were over $200.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
https://helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

2 best helmet is $100 from Specialized.

Interestingly, in the top-10 or so, the road helmets are all more expensive than similar protective mountain helmets. There are a few <$100 road helmets, but they’re mostly in the $250-$300 range, while the mountain helmets are all sub-$200.
I suggest watching this, especially from about the 1:58 mark onward. Some very valid points IMO -- especially as relates to actual value of MIPs (since it apparently costs money and has a weight impact).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKKHa-sChtI
Old 01-30-2023, 09:34 AM

Features and benefits.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:41 AM

Specialized Align II is one of the best and it costs $35 on sale.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:09 PM

There are times when I miss the Performance stores. I think it helped with helmets, clothing and a few other areas to have their competition in the mix to help keep retail prices down. In the Atlanta area we had several Performance shops to choose from and I miss them.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:59 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
For an mtb person, the Giro Radix is the best $100 you'll ever spend

When it comes to the brain, $$$ well spent every 3 years or so. Clock ticks from production, so that trumps a sale price for me

I would never wear a helmet purchased on closeout
Are you suggesting the protection within a helmet has a 3 year lifespan and after 3 years it is no longer safe?
If you are suggesting that, does the safety decrease in those 3 years, or does it stay flat and drop off a cliff at 36 months?