Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronffs View Post
https://www.vox.com/recode/22870773/...lion-explained

"The reason the Athletic is selling for $550 million — less than the $750 million the company was reportedly seeking, and around the value its investors thought it was worth in February 2020, when it last raised money — is because it has to.

As The Information’s Jessica Toonkel has reported, the startup burnt through more than $100 million in 2019 and 2020. In 2020 alone, when sports went dark for much of the year, it lost $41 million on revenue of $47 million. And even its most optimistic projections had it losing money until at least 2023. "

It's not a profitable business, buying the highest profile local writers and constantly offering discounted subscriptions isn't exactly a winning short term model... but I agree with both of you, the content is good and the model will probably work for ct2.0 (fwiw, i've been subscribed to the athletic for a few years now)
Interesting info. I will try to avoid gloating, but in another discussion on the current state of the media (where I was arguing it’s pretty dire from an earnings perspective) The Athletic was held up as a wildly successful and profitable business.

$550m is not chump change, by any means, but 5x revenue (Not to be confused with 5x earnings) is also not a huge multiplier, and if revenue is being used as the publisher multiplier it kind of infers the business isn’t earning heaps.