Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2023, 12:49 PM

Unfortunately according to reps at Apple the trade in value is 0 on series 3 watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
Bring the old watch to Apple Store (or online) and get trade-in value towards a new SE watch or whatever you prefer. You might find you won't be out that much cash. I recently traded my watch 4 for the new SE and it worked out.
Old 01-09-2023, 01:39 PM

Technology is changing quickly, and you just have to plan on regularly replacing watches and phones. Five your old technology is no good. New watches are inexpensive.

Jeff
Old 01-09-2023, 02:23 PM

I just don’t get it though….I get tech changing rapidly, however when a product works fine until you do an update they force on you and then it breaks product that is just not right. If we did nothing it would still be working. It’s like I handed it to a stranger that slammed it with a hammer and says it was old, get a new one.

Some watches are inexpensive. When we bought this it was not (to me at least) and a replacement is over $200. A lot of money to me, even more for my son who’s 13. It’s going to take him long time to earn money to replace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
Technology is changing quickly, and you just have to plan on regularly replacing watches and phones. Five your old technology is no good. New watches are inexpensive.

Jeff
Old 01-09-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post

Jeff
My Samsung phone is 6+ years old. It works, takes pictures and I can cruise the web. It doesn't have 15 photo lenses or a fruit logo. It has some character marks.....it's all good.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
Some watches are inexpensive. When we bought this it was not (to me at least) and a replacement is over $200. A lot of money to me, even more for my son who’s 13. It’s going to take him long time to earn money to replace!
A 13 year old ought to be able to hack that watch in a couple of evenings.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
My Samsung phone is 6+ years old. It works, takes pictures and I can cruise the web. It doesn't have 15 photo lenses or a fruit logo. It has some character marks.....it's all good.
Not good enough for me.

Jeff
Old 01-09-2023, 07:52 PM

Trust me, he’s trying this is the kid that built a robot to control his slot car track so he could compete with “someone” when I was not home. It drove the track better than I could!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
A 13 year old ought to be able to hack that watch in a couple of evenings.
Hi
Old 01-09-2023, 08:46 PM
Bicycle User

If they don’t mind taking a hit on general use, I second the recommendation for a garmin forerunner. They are pretty slim these days so fit well on the petit runners wrist and I’ve found that the hardware as well as the software are fairly indestructible relative to friends Apple Watches. I think the software stability comes from their relatively “dumb” feature list/UI relative to the Apple Watch. As mentioned, they have fantastic training stats though.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
Trust me, he’s trying this is the kid that built a robot to control his slot car track so he could compete with “someone” when I was not home. It drove the track better than I could!
That’s awesome!
Old 01-10-2023, 05:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
new iphone 13 not updated ios
10-4....
Old 01-10-2023, 05:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
So is my iPhone 6S+...even with a fruit logo..
Old 01-10-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:
And you're likely getting biannual security updates, if that.

It is annoying that devices go out of support periodically. But, there is a cost to the vendor to keep the software secure and up-to-date. And consumers generally don't want to pay for updates, so that cost is baked into the purchase price with an implicit expectation that the life of the device is limited.

That said, bricking a device (as happened with the OP's watch) is a ****ty thing to do. The software should have been written to allow the watch to continue being used, but without any connectivity back to the phone (although that makes the smart watch pretty not-smart).
Old 01-10-2023, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
And you're likely getting biannual security updates, if that.

It is annoying that devices go out of support periodically. But, there is a cost to the vendor to keep the software secure and up-to-date. And consumers generally don't want to pay for updates, so that cost is baked into the purchase price with an implicit expectation that the life of the device is limited.

That said, bricking a device (as happened with the OP's watch) is a ****ty thing to do. The software should have been written to allow the watch to continue being used, but without any connectivity back to the phone (although that makes the smart watch pretty not-smart).

Yeah it's a companion piece....you can't run a watch without an iPhone as far as I know. The watch is basically a shared screen and a sensor or two.
Old 01-10-2023, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Something doesn't add up, Apple wouldn't write firmware to brick it intentionally, even if it was for the greater good.
Old 01-10-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Something doesn't add up, Apple wouldn't write firmware to brick it intentionally, even if it was for the greater good.
From what I gather, the Series 3 watch is effectively out of support as of middle of last year. There was a "final" security update to its OS last year. And for whatever reason, this update seems prone to bricking the watch (possibly due to memory limitations on the device). Even if the device can be recovered, it's hard/impossible to get it to pair with new phones.

So, it's not an intentional bricking. It's more like a "properly QAing this update costs too much; we'll let the consumer beta test it for us, and if it blows up, we'll just tell them to buy new watches."