Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2022, 11:41 AM

This is my "car wall". The pegboards are from Wall Control and the work bench is from Trinity, which I bought at Costco. This could easily work as a bike workbench.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small car wall june.jpg (150.8 KB, 359 views)
Old 06-27-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Don't put the extra boxes full of stuff in the the garage, thinking you will figure out where in the house it will go later.....it never leaves. Been in our house 10+ years....there are still some boxes there.....ugh.
THIS 100% it has taken me four years to get to the point where I can actually setup my 3 workbenches (1 hand tool woodworking, 1 assembly table, and one bike/sharpening bench).
Old 06-27-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Don't put the extra boxes full of stuff in the the garage, thinking you will figure out where in the house it will go later.....it never leaves. Been in our house 10+ years....there are still some boxes there.....ugh.
We're coming up on six...and we still have six or eight boxes of books in the basement closets. I need to build some book shelves before they can be freed...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 06-27-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
We're coming up on six...and we still have six or eight boxes of books in the basement closets. I need to build some book shelves before they can be freed...
Thankfully we're moving from a 2 bedroom apartment..we've had to maximize space and don't have much that we don't use on a regular basis..hopefully we won't have too much surplus boxes when we move..
Old 06-27-2022, 04:45 PM
Everything is connected

Check Craigslist for a table mount tool chest/drawer unit and Simpson makes a kit for building a simple (fit to suit) bench with standard dimensional lumber. I’ve been able to find some deals on bench vises and old tools on CL as well. When you search CL for a vise, spell it vise and vice…lot’s of terrible spellers selling decent gear. Not the greatest shop by any means, but it works for bikes and the other bad habits that I’ve picked up. PS…leave space for music and cold beer storage.

https://www.strongtie.com/miscellane...bsk_kit/p/wbsk

Last edited by rwsaunders; 06-27-2022 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 07-07-2022, 06:41 AM
Small ring

Today's Home Depot ‘Deal Of The Day’ is 30% off garage storage.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
This is my "car wall". The pegboards are from Wall Control and the work bench is from Trinity, which I bought at Costco. This could easily work as a bike workbench.
I think you are now obligated to provide us with a glamour shot of the car that gets this kind of attention.

I like to do basic detailing, but you, sir, have a seriously professional level of solutions there. I don't see a car blow dryer there though. I just got one and it is really good for getting all the water out of nooks and crannies of the car. I also use it to dry the bike a little before I use turtle wax dry and wax to finish it.

Jon
Old 07-07-2022, 10:54 AM

some ideas for you

My work bench in the basement and garage/cycling storage/workbench in the garage. Finished it a few years ago. Still can park a car in the garage if needed, but mostly it stays outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190518_114541326_HDR.jpg (143.5 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190629_155214874_HDR.jpg (100.5 KB, 267 views)
Old 07-07-2022, 11:15 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Keep your eyes peeled for a 3 or 4 drawer lateral file cabinet. Easy to add wheels and a larger work surface too. High capacity, sturdy, and can also be found for cheap/free on FB/Craigslist.

I have one in the background here. $20 on craigslist and the office building had 10 of them. 1 can of black paint, free Ikea table top, and (4) 1" wheels have me setup nicely. Very nice working height and can roll easily if needed.

Old 07-07-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Keep your eyes peeled for a 3 or 4 drawer lateral file cabinet. Easy to add wheels and a larger work surface too. High capacity, sturdy, and can also be found for cheap/free on FB/Craigslist.

I have one in the background here. $20 on craigslist and the office building had 10 of them. 1 can of black paint, free Ikea table top, and (4) 1" wheels have me setup nicely. Very nice working height and can roll easily if needed.

This might be the way to go for me. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2022, 03:15 PM

One of the best things I did when I built my workbench was add a "kickboard" at the very bottom even with the ground so small items wouldn't roll under the workbench. It spans the width of the bench. Can't remember where I got the idea from but it has saved numerous small parts from rolling under.
Old 02-01-2023, 04:32 PM

Just thought I'd share..over the Christmas break I finally bit the bullet and started putting wood pieces together (all scrap!). Overall pleased! I'm thinking of starting with a cheap HF vise (it's on clearance now) and when it breaks, I'll invest in a better bench vise. In the meantime, I'm planning to install drawers on the cabinets so I can keep the benchtop uncluttered (as much as one can)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2023-02-01 (3).jpg (115.3 KB, 179 views)
Old 02-02-2023, 07:17 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL2222 View Post
What else will you use your workbenches for?
Workbenches are great things. Clean stuff on them. Work on stuff on them. Leave clutter all over them. Multipurpose things, workbenches.

Personally? I like having a 4x8 toolboard 24" magnets mounted and tools permanently stored on them. You can see when one's missing and you don't need to go hunting thru random boxes or drawers for that one tool that you just had the other day.

Old kitchen cabinets make good bases if you don't want to build something out of 2x3s, AMHIK

HTH

M
Old 02-02-2023, 07:38 AM

Home depot husky work bench has adjustable feet to level the table, none of my basement or garage floors are level. Move in tables didn’t work for me. Wire shelves are not that great, it’s hard to store smaller items without tipping everything over. Husky wall cabinets are very tidy, fill up the shelves and close the doors, no dust or garage mower clippings on everything. General tool box from Harbor Freight- drawers are superior to peg board in my opinion, and a 46” can be topped with a butcher block and rolled around. Remember, this equipment will be around for a long time, but once cry once-
Old 02-02-2023, 07:43 AM
Administrator

I work on a lot more than bicycles, and a sturdy work bench is a must for me.

I build the bench directly into the garage, hooking and triangulating to the studs. I want to be able to hang my body weight off a 3' wrench pulling on something clamped in the bench vise without the bench itself moving.

The biggest revelation in my new work space(s) in the last decade have been lighting. LED shop lights are so good and it would be hard to go back to a few bulbs hanging here and there. Amazing how things get easier when you can see what you're working on!