Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2021, 10:20 PM

Omni-effing-shambles...
Old 09-08-2021, 10:25 PM

They weren't even playing uninspired ball in the first half, they looked disinterested.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:41 PM

Holy s***! An away goal!
Old 09-08-2021, 11:07 PM

Whoa, a tad belated Rosh Hashana gift -- a second away goal!

It's pouring away goals!!

Last edited by Waldo62; 09-08-2021 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:28 PM

Will the real USMNT please stand up?
Is the real team the one that was lucky to escape the first half down 1-0 or the one that won the second half 4-0?
Old 09-09-2021, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
Whoa, a tad belated Rosh Hashana gift -- a second away goal!

It's pouring away goals!!
As bountiful as seeds of pomegranate, one might say

Quote:
Is the real team the one that was lucky to escape the first half down 1-0 or the one that won the second half 4-0?
Obviously the latter.

Also really glad to see Lletget score the last goal. I still remember seeing him score one against Honduras at home, in 2017, only to suffer a serious injury as the result of a snide Honduras challenge. Took him months just to recover from injury, and I think the MNT could really have used his talents in 2017.

The kids are a-okay, one might say, and I'm really glad to see Antonee Robinson do well. Rarely put a foot wrong when defending, and so very effective when he gets forward. A great story, concerning the heart issue that prevented his transfer to AC Milan. And that finish with his weaker foot; chef's kiss. If I ever buy a MNT jersey, I think it'll have either his name or that of Tyler Adams.

On the concerning side, Berlhalter has gotta stop the tinkering and just go with what's tried and true. John Brooks also looks a shell of his former self, despite playing well for Wolfsburg. What in the world was he doing, pressing all the way up to the center circle? Also, I really hope Pulisic is okay...

I'm still not convinced about Berlhalter, but at least he learned to be proactive this time around, and the subs really changed the game.

First road win in qualifying since the campaign for the 2014 World Cup. With 5 points after three matches, it's probably what we all expected, albeit the MNT did it the really difficult way.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
I'm really glad to see Antonee Robinson do well. Rarely put a foot wrong when defending, and so very effective when he gets forward. A great story, concerning the heart issue that prevented his transfer to AC Milan. And that finish with his weaker foot; chef's kiss. If I ever buy a MNT jersey, I think it'll have either his name or that of Tyler Adams.
Amen. I am leaning towards Adams. Although Aaronson has a chance to work his way into the picture

Quote:
On the concerning side, Berlhalter has gotta stop the tinkering and just go with what's tried and true. John Brooks also looks a shell of his former self, despite playing well for Wolfsburg.
Well with 3 games, and a ridiculous amount of travel he had to tinker. Not to mention Weston Dumbass, Reyna & Dest being out. But yes Brooks has been bad and coming in to this he was counted on as a strength. It could be the travel. IT really could play havoc having to go 6 time zones to the US, down to El salvador, back to the US and back to Honduras in 10 days. That's brutal

Quote:
it's probably what we all expected, albeit the MNT did it the really difficult way.
Agreed I was expecting 5 - was hoping the 3 would be 3 against Canuckistan, to deprive a dangerous team of "bonus" points on the road. Next set of 3 include 2 at home I think.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
-

Like the changes to the formation - Hope they stay with it.
Berhalter needs to continue to play and develop the "kids".
Old 09-09-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
Amen. I am leaning towards Adams. Although Aaronson has a chance to work his way into the picture
At this rate, Aaronson may well become a club team teammate of Adams. Well either that, or he get plucked away by a team looking for a winger, say Liverpool.

I actually forgot Dest, who will probably slot in front of Adams but after Robinson. Nothing against Adams, who probably should be 1st captain in a few years, but I have a soft spot for for Ajax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
-

Like the changes to the formation - Hope they stay with it.
Berhalter needs to continue to play and develop the "kids".
Essentially, the task for Berhalter has become: keep it simple and don't f*** it up.

The kids are talented enough to get this right, but even their skill and tactical nous can't overcome muck-ups from the coach. I mean, shunting Adams to the wing? What possible good could that do?

Lastly, while I don't like it when there's a player like this on the opposing team, Acosta has become quite a proficient practitioner of the dark arts. He certainly did enough to deserve a card for each of the last two games, but he's skating free.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:09 PM

So I just realized that the upcoming home matches will be on ESPN rather than on FS1.

A bit surprising, to be honest. ESPN is indicating that the matches will be on ESPN and ESPN+, so if that's the case, that'll actually save me a few dollars on subscription.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:24 PM

Welcome to Concacaf, Brendan Aaronson

Jamaica should be playing with at most 10 right now.

The ref is out of his depth.

Last edited by echappist; 10-07-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:48 PM

Last chance to hop on the Pepi hype train! He must have thought to himself: if only I were on the field when Weah sent in that fizzing cross.

For a while i thought i was watching European club football.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:06 AM

youth

only blight so far on Pepi is that 12 of his 13 MLS goals are in the state of TX as are 2 of 3 USMNT goals. But he did score at Honduras so......

Loved Musah! Weah was scintillating in his 20 minutes.

Aaronson and Dest sometimes take chances with the ball that don't pay off but have the courage to do so. tonight each had one pay off.

And yes those should have been red cards.

Means not as much if they lay a stinker in Panama. I don't think they will.
Old 10-08-2021, 05:34 AM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

I am not going to get overly excited just yet. Jamaica is not very good. Defensively incredibly undisciplined.

Everyone played well. Richardo bagged a brace & that should quiet the #9 discussion for a while.
Musah was MOTM. He figured out that driving at defenders would open spaces.
Still not sold on Dest. He's a very good wingback but lacking as a FB.

Oh yeah the ref was horrible. 2 red cards all day. Fortunately Jamaica is not your typical CONCACAF hard fouling team, or that game could have gone ugly.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:05 AM

I will take it!!!

Granted, not the reggae boyz of old, you only have to beat who they put in front of you.