Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2021, 09:04 AM

Why would it be weird to be a fan of the greatest quarterback in the history of the game and a guy who also happens to be a consummate team player, professional and class act?
Old 01-19-2021, 11:39 AM

I’ve been asking the opposite question.

As a lifelong Pats fan, I think the way Brady left was pretty classless, and I don’t subscribe to some of his personal ideologies or choices in headwear. He should have retired a Patriot.

Is it wrong of me to have cheered hard for Drew Brees and to hope that the Bucs get beat badly next week, and that Brady gets sacked hard every time he drops back to throw the ball? Or to not want Brady in the Super Bowl ever again?

The Pats will rebuild and be back.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:51 PM

I hope that you are joking.

The guy took was way underpaid for the last 10 years, was given no weapons at WR, I think he finally had enough, he went somewhere that was going to pay him his market value plus give him good players to throw the ball to, if anything Kraft and BB treated him classless the last few years.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
That's the difference. I'm in favor of new safety protocols, rules, etc. It doesn't make it a lesser game to try having fewer life-altering injuries.

As I said above, it's better when the stars are on the field, not when they're on the sidelines, or getting carted off like wounded gladiators, or rehabbing horrible knee injuries.

Yes, it's a dangerous, violent game and injuries can and will happen. But trying to minimize them is good for the future of the NFL. I will be curious if Patrick Mahomes plays this weekend.
I'm not sure if you read my whole post, I am in complete agreement with you.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
I'm not sure if you read my whole post, I am in complete agreement with you.
We are in agreement.

As you appear to think, I also believe Brady owes the Patriots nothing. He gave them years of loyalty and excellence at a discounted salary.

He’s earned the right to do whatever he wants in the final years of his career.

That said, I hope the Packers mercilessly steamroll the Buccaneers this weekend.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
I hope that you are joking.

The guy took was way underpaid for the last 10 years, was given no weapons at WR, I think he finally had enough, he went somewhere that was going to pay him his market value plus give him good players to throw the ball to, if anything Kraft and BB treated him classless the last few years.
I’m sorry. I’m a Patriots fan until the end.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Sorry, but facts are facts. You cannot say that today's QB's don't benefit from today's rules.

They are protected because they have to be. Defensive players are probably 30% bigger, 50% stronger, and 30% faster. If you understand the evolution of contact sports, you must continuously evolve the rules, or there would be no one left to play. I played professional hockey in the 1980's (I originally typed 35 years ago, but that looked depressing). I am under no illusion that today's players aren't bigger, faster and make the game way more dangerous. That's why the rules of hockey have evolved too.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:43 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I also believe Brady owes the Patriots nothing. He gave them years of loyalty and excellence at a discounted salary.
This is the part that feels like bad business to me. I know he is not the first to defer salary for the sake of the team's salary cap, and I'm also aware that he is still able to buy what he wants in general, but I seem to recall other players getting at least some of that value back from their organizations. It's not like the Patriots were lacking for time to get this done.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
They are protected because they have to be. Defensive players are probably 30% bigger, 50% stronger, and 30% faster. If you understand the evolution of contact sports, you must continuously evolve the rules, or there would be no one left to play. I played professional hockey in the 1980's (I originally typed 35 years ago, but that looked depressing). I am under no illusion that today's players aren't bigger, faster and make the game way more dangerous. That's why the rules of hockey have evolved too.
Totally agree but that's why there is no GOAT. Be it Tom Brady or any other QB you want to pick. Different era's different games.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQJ View Post
Why would it be weird to be a fan of the greatest quarterback in the history of the game and a guy who also happens to be a consummate team player, professional and class act?
Because he was also the QB for the team that would crush my team at least twice a year! LOL!
Old 01-19-2021, 07:54 PM

I don't know. I like the fact that he's managed to put up with the crap thrown his way by his new coach, and the situation. But I'll never forgive him for not shaking Nick's hand, actually twice (he had a very lame excuse this year). He's petulant and spoiled. He's also a great QB.
But I can really like Brees. I can really appreciate Rodgers. Brady, meh.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:21 PM
aka mbrt

@glepore
Nick who?

Ray
Old 01-20-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
As a lifelong Eagles fan, Brady was always the enemy. That's how it was. But living near Tampa, I've really come to like him. He really is like an old throwback player. Professional, driven, successful. organized. He is a great role model, like back in the days of Unitas, Starr and Staubach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Totally agree but that's why there is no GOAT. Be it Tom Brady or any other QB you want to pick. Different era's different games.
But I never said he was the GOAT. I merely stated he had a work ethic and was a role model like the greats of the past.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrtool View Post
@glepore
Nick who?

Ray
I'm guessing he means Nick Foles, who had a great game in the Super Bowl a few years back, defeating the Pats as a member of the Eagles.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
But I never said he was the GOAT. I merely stated he had a work ethic and was a role model like the greats of the past.
The GOAT comments were earlier in the thread and mainly what my comments were in response to.

As to Tom being a role model.......he cries and whines to much for me to see him like that. And then there was the whole stealing signals and....