Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2023, 12:13 PM

Garmin Rally SPD-SL Cycling Dynamics Data - PCO

I am wondering if anyone has adjusted their cleats based on the PCO (Platform Center Offset) calculation? I am fine where I am with my cleat position - no pain, no issues. That said, I just picked up a pair of the Rally's and will be interested to see what the PCO reading is and if that will get into my head (which is an entirely different thread).
Old 02-02-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandhillsca View Post
I am wondering if anyone has adjusted their cleats based on the PCO (Platform Center Offset) calculation? I am fine where I am with my cleat position - no pain, no issues. That said, I just picked up a pair of the Rally's and will be interested to see what the PCO reading is and if that will get into my head (which is an entirely different thread).
I have a set of the Garmin XC and they somewhat confirmed what a professional fit suggested - that due to my body dimensions and pedaling style I should have my cleats set up all the way to the inside ie have as wide as possible pedal stance with my setup at the time. Was using 145 q factor cranks, 55 spindle pedals and RX8 shoes. The PCO measurement on Garmin shows ~+6-9mm on left, +9-12mm on the right, but I don't have any real knee pain, just sometimes my hips start feeling a little tight after longer (3+hour) rides.

So I think it's technically "accurate" but how that measurement results in actual pedaling comfort/efficiency/fit is debatable.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Ignore the PCO. I’ve been using Vector 3s and Rallys for years. The PCO measurements aren’t helpful for pedal setup. Don’t fix it if it isn’t broken.
Old 02-02-2023, 04:13 PM

Rally Pedals

@dig21 and yinz - Thanks for the input

Any data from the pedals that you truly find enlightening/useful?
Old 02-02-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
@dig21 and yinz - Thanks for the input

Any data from the pedals that you truly find enlightening/useful?
Turn on cycling dynamics in the sensor set up. Then you can use pedal balance (power) and smoothness, which I do find useful.

My PCOs are between -1 and about +6mm and can vary depending how I pedal. I experimented with using it for cleat placement and it wasn’t helpful. Get your cleats set up so you are pedaling efficiently and comfortably and forget it. The numbers are a curiosity, but that’s it.
Old 02-02-2023, 05:27 PM

I don't think the numbers are particularly useful unless they're combined with other issues you're experiencing. Some people tend to push naturally with different parts of their foot, some shoes even (Specialized for example) come with a built in varus wedge which will distribute some force laterally, but for many riders keeps the knee and forefoot in a more stable position.