Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2023, 08:00 PM

OT: FSA spending account - need recommendations

Need some recommendations. I've got a good sized balance in my FSA account and need to spend it before the end of March. Would appreciate recommendations on interesting things that might be eligible for FSA reimbursement.

Prescription glasses, for example...

...but is there something more interesting?

Can I get a gravel bike described as a medical necessity?

Comments appreciated

(Note: The full FSA balance is available on Jan 1 each year. Companies don't claw back FSA money if an employee leaves prior to the end of the year and since I was part of a mass tech layoff, I don't feel badly about using up the money...)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-01-2023, 08:09 PM

if durable medical equipment is allowed go that route

i've seen several work comp cases where the doctor ordered scooters, hot tub, stationary bike, treadmill for recovery. aqua therapy, gym/pool memberships, etc

If you can score an Alter G treadmill and don't like it, I'll buy it from you (if at a discount)

Last edited by jimcav; 02-02-2023 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
i've seen several work comp cases where the doctor ordered scooters, hot tube, stationary bike, treadmill for recovery. aqua therapy, gym/pool memberships, etc

If you can score an Alter G treadmill and don't like it, I'll buy it from you (if at a discount)
I'd hate to buy a Landice L8 Pro, get it all set up and then find out it's not covered.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-01-2023, 10:33 PM

When we were in that situation my wife bought first aid kits.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:42 AM

true

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
I'd hate to buy a Landice L8 Pro, get it all set up and then find out it's not covered.
and I should qualify my comment by stating I have no idea what can or can't be done with HSA or FSA accounts. I just am amazed by what I see covered on the medical expense side of work comp cases. I saw a case recently with over 300 sessions of physical therapy. And as I said before, all sorts of fitness type stuff under the "rehab" plan of the doctor.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:14 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
I have no idea what can or can't be done with HSA or FSA accounts
You can buy as many headsets as your mechanic prescribes!

Old 02-02-2023, 03:23 AM

Orthopedic inserts. Depending on your plan, it may require a letter of medical necessity.

Or if you really get fancy, you can cover a portion of custom cycling shoes. My builder had a separate line item for the molded orthopedic insert service ... it was an up charge over the base ... and I filled for that portion with my FSA plan.
Old 02-14-2023, 11:55 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWarner View Post
Orthopedic inserts. Depending on your plan, it may require a letter of medical necessity.

Or if you really get fancy, you can cover a portion of custom cycling shoes. My builder had a separate line item for the molded orthopedic insert service ... it was an up charge over the base ... and I filled for that portion with my FSA plan.
+100

My first thought too....get shoes that fit!
Old 02-14-2023, 12:20 PM
Administrator

My glasses place is an oakley dealer and one year i got a nice set of prescription sunglasses when i had an overage i needed to use.
Old 02-14-2023, 01:13 PM

Are talking about spending your remaining 2022 dollars? I have an FSA as well (in CA so no idea if the rules are different) and have until March to submit reimbursement requests for purchases made in 2022, but I absolutely cannot purchase anything with the 2022 dollars during 2023. I can, however, roll up to $580 into the 2023 account.

If you are referring to 2023 dollars, you might get some ideas by checking out the Amazon FSA Store. I've also found FSAs to be quite tolerant of seemingly questionable purchases.

Last edited by donevwil; 02-14-2023 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 01:15 PM

How are your feet?

Maybe you can call and ask if you can be reimbursed for custom shoes and insoles?
Old 02-14-2023, 02:09 PM

I definitely bought several sweet pairs of prescription sunglasses with my FSA when I needed to get rid of it! Still happy with those purchases, I would never have paid out of pocket for them.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
Maybe you can call and ask if you can be reimbursed for custom shoes and insoles?
My feet are fine, thanks. A bit bow-legged, but otherwise fine.

I tried custom shoes many years ago, also did orthotic inserts. Now I'm using vintage Look road pedals that have variable wedges for adjustment. On my non-road bikes, I don't sweat it.

The dance lessons sound good. Wonder what kind of medical condition I'd need for dance lessons to be prescribed? Wall flower? Loner? (My wife and I just celebrated our 36th Valentine's Day together, so maybe not...)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-14-2023, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Are talking about spending your remaining 2022 dollars? I have an FSA as well (in CA so no idea if the rules are different) and have until March to submit reimbursement requests for purchases made in 2022, but I absolutely cannot purchase anything with the 2022 dollars during 2023. I can, however, roll up to $580 into the 2023 account.

If you are referring to 2023 dollars, you might get some ideas by checking out the Amazon FSA Store. I've also found FSAs to be quite tolerant of seemingly questionable purchases.
Slightly unusual situation...laid off but on payroll through end of March, can spend *all* 2023 dollars, even those not accrued, and there is no clawback. That's how the FSA system is set up. So I'm looking to zero out the 2023 account. I *think* I need to do that prior to end of March, so I'm not taking any chances.

I just went through requesting incidental reimbursements to zero out 2022 leftover money. That door closes tomorrow.

Thanks for the Amazon FSA store link...I haven't found anything that I really need there!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-14-2023, 02:30 PM

Question: do you visit a chiropractor, massage (certainly not message, missage, mossage) therapist, or similar on a regular basis?

Last edited by donevwil; 02-14-2023 at 03:51 PM. Reason: speed typing fail