Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2023, 06:37 AM

Weigle, Wojcik, IF, Serotta, Fat City: End of an Era?

I can't help but notice that the number of bespoke framebuilders in the New England and upstate NY area have either slowed down, shuttered, or have otherwise had a limited amount of exposure in recent years.

Obviously, we have builders like No.22, RS, and Seven. But it seems like some of the "old guard" has fallen below the horizon a bit.

I posed a question to a local bike shop owner who owns a number of custom bikes, as well as specializes in custom-built bicycles/wheels:

What is going on with IF? (as I admire his hanging from the rafters of his small shop).

His answer was not what I expected. "[Indy Fab] just hasn't changed with the times."

And then I remember when Rusty Lion was in here trying to prop up Serotta. Seemed like all they were trying to do was change with the times.

But people have shifted attention away from this geographical area and focused more on west of the Mississippi.

Do we see a resurgence in the NE/NY scene; does IF get back on its feet? Is there anything to this other than people get older, torches get passed (pun intended)?

Last edited by carlucci1106; 01-28-2023 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:15 AM

Don't know if this list is updated but just saw this site:

https://theframebuilders.com/list/

Boston and outside, Firefly, Seven, Parlee, Royal H, Chapman cycles (RI)

But think you are right.

My guess is a new dawn will appear and 3d printing will be a major reason why
Old 01-28-2023, 07:32 AM
Serotta Bike Fit Technician

Serotta is building again in upstate NY.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:43 AM
Go Sox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlucci1106 View Post
What is going on with IF? (as I admire his hanging from the rafters of his small shop).

His answer was not what I expected. "[Indy Fab] just hasn't changed with the times."
IF employees had some ideological issues with Gary who bought them and moved them out of Somerville. Gary is gone and they are back in Mass, Shawn and Keith are the only folks I know of who remain. Changes are coming, and I know that they are currently too busy to have visitors so that’s a good thing.

In New England we still have FTW, Firefly, Chapman, Royal H, Commonwealth, 44, Pioneer Valley, Alex Meade, Parlee, Pratt Frame Works. And I’m sure more that we are forgetting.

Saila Cycles and Tomii both got their frame building start in NE, but relocated to Texas.

Last edited by Alexi; 01-28-2023 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:33 AM
cmg

What does "changed with the times" mean? IF we're building gravel bikes, disk brakes, electronic shifting. What weren't doing being on social media?
Old 01-28-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
What does "changed with the times" mean? IF we're building gravel bikes, disk brakes, electronic shifting. What weren't doing being on social media?
Excellent question. And that's what I believe I'm trying to find out. There is a clear difference between a mountain bike built for Rocky Mountain, Sierras, slickrock-laden Southwest riding as one built for East Coast chunk and low-speed technical labyrinth-esque singletrack.

For those that don't know, I cut my teeth growing up in New England, born and raised, and have a lot of hometown pride. NH high school graduate, started an MTB Club/Team at my school. I grew up with homies rolling in Fat Chances, Wojciks, Weigles and IF into the shop-- and those were the bikes I considered exemplars of utmost class. This thread has no intent of poo-pooing the NE/NY region. We will always be relevant!

It seems on the national level, from where I sit- everyone is obsessed with how much travel, and long/slack you can make a bike. Here in MN we don't need it. In NE/NY you don't need it.

So you've got a Fat Chance, for instance, with Moab-ready front travel, that has pretty much traditional east coast geo. Seems like a mismatch. Not to mention, could either of us fit on that size Small Yo Eddy, CMG? I couldn't even straddle the top tube, according to those charts.

So, I'm not meaning to start a fued, or omit any important builders, but it seems that the era of builders I grew up with are struggling with a dichotomy... either build for the national trends, and remain "relevant" or stick to their 'roots' (pun intended), and build for a loyal fanbase closer to home.

The reason I bring up Rusty Lion, I hope some of you picked up on that nuance. I remember him saying brazing steel would cost the consumer an embarrasing sum of money that they are not prepared to bring to market at this juncture. Ironically, some of the forerunner brands most talked about on this forum are doing just that-- making the bike with traditional craftsmanship, cost-be-damned, no apologies.

I haven't seen an IF being shown off in a long time. Maybe I need Instagram, but I can't devote any more time to any apps, especially Meta-controlled ones.

I have seen 0 new Serottas. I believe they are in business, but does anyone have one, or is $10-14k a little cost prohibitive? Who has one? How does it ride?

Fat Chance...same
Wojcik, I read an article that he was welding some bikeshare bikes (?)
Frank the Welder... Crust Alumalith, don't get me started (that really showed my ornery side in that thread )

As for the techniques, I never need someone like an IF to do anything differently for me to desire one. But they need web presence, and they need it fast- ATMO. Without the glamor shots, can a company grow in this present reality?

Last edited by carlucci1106; 01-28-2023 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
There's really nothing to change... I got bored with them once the dew was off the rose for whatever reason.
A well written reply. You reveal the unspoken, ugly truth.

Quote:
...Without the glamor shots, can a company grow in this present reality?
I agree. The market has changed and you HAVE to have a presence on the internet, and probably some sort of participation in bike forums, to get the exposure to expand/sustain your business.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:16 PM
Go Sox!

Quote:
I haven't seen an IF being shown off in a long time. Maybe I need Instagram, but I can't devote any more time to any apps, especially Meta-controlled ones

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=288888
Old 01-28-2023, 08:37 AM

I wonder when a custom bike builder analyzes his customer base if he finds a significant percentage are close enough to his shop that shipping the finished products isn't required. And/or can customers come in for a fitting. If most of his customers are not local he might find moving to a new location a good idea. Maybe he could find cheaper real estate, proximity to skiing or other recreation, bigger pool of desirable labor, "nicer" weather, etc.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:36 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I wonder when a custom bike builder analyzes his customer base if he finds a significant percentage are close enough to his shop that shipping the finished products isn't required. And/or can customers come in for a fitting. If most of his customers are not local he might find moving to a new location a good idea. Maybe he could find cheaper real estate, proximity to skiing or other recreation, bigger pool of desirable labor, "nicer" weather, etc.
If I ever go the full custom route, I'll be leaning heavily toward a builder I can go visit in person.. thankfully, at least for now, I have some great options with Sycip (in my backyard, almost literally), with Rock Lobster and Steve Rex just down the road a bit.. not to mention Retrotec/Inglis in the area as well.. would also be willing to take a trip to Ashland for DeSalvo or Land Shark..
Old 01-28-2023, 08:52 AM

Coast cycles
Jamie Swann
Weiss bikes
Vicious cycles
Horse cycles

All NYC or adjacent
Old 01-28-2023, 09:33 AM
50 bpm

Rusty Lion ...
Old 01-28-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryschwartzma View Post
Coast cycles
Jamie Swann
Weiss bikes
Vicious cycles
Horse cycles

All NYC or adjacent
Sweettooth & Weis as well

Last edited by proxient; 01-28-2023 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:57 AM

As I recall Weigle is still building and Serotta and Chance are still building or at least selling bikes even if they didn't personally build them.

dave
Old 01-28-2023, 10:01 AM

One of my favorite ti builders, Jim Kish, has relocated to Vermont.