Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2022, 11:13 AM

Looking for workbench/garage storage wisdom

My better half and I are in escrow for a house and will have a garage for the first time in our lives! I'm excited to figure out our garage situation, including bike storage and wrenching stuff.

Currently, I'm thinking of using the Rubbermaid Fasttrack system to store bicycles and some tools.

Workbench wise, I'm thinking of a rolling workbench with some trays, so I can be mobile.

Trying to pick some insight from the paceline brain: are there things you wish you did differently in your garage? Thanks!
Old 06-26-2022, 11:28 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonification View Post
Trying to pick some insight from the paceline brain: are there things you wish you did differently in your garage? Thanks!
Don't put the extra boxes full of stuff in the the garage, thinking you will figure out where in the house it will go later.....it never leaves. Been in our house 10+ years....there are still some boxes there.....ugh.

Rolling workbench sounds cool. We use some commercial wire racks, and Sterilite containers to organize stuff.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:49 AM
Small ring

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nj3wbN8m8eeXphJi9
Old 06-26-2022, 11:51 AM

Drawers, stackable bins - label them and keep them tidy.

I find that having tools out (like on pegboard) is rarely necessary.

One thing I love is a rack of wheel hooks. I love a lined-up row of wheels hanging in hooks, above a doorway or something. Alternatively, wheels in wheelbags hung up on a wall - but I often forget which wheels are in wheelbags.

A hose and bike-wash station is very nice to have.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:17 PM
Rockstruck

What else will you use your workbenches for?
Old 06-26-2022, 01:22 PM
Forward the Foundation

https://www.globalindustrial.com/

My version of IKEA, bought a lovely work bench from them.
Their house brand benches have metal frame from Taiwan, maple tops
from John Boos.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL2222 View Post
For the most part just bike wrenching, but I would love to get into some beginner woodworking or leatherworking..the possibilities are endless!
Old 02-02-2023, 07:17 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL2222 View Post
Workbenches are great things. Clean stuff on them. Work on stuff on them. Leave clutter all over them. Multipurpose things, workbenches.

Personally? I like having a 4x8 toolboard 24" magnets mounted and tools permanently stored on them. You can see when one's missing and you don't need to go hunting thru random boxes or drawers for that one tool that you just had the other day.

Old kitchen cabinets make good bases if you don't want to build something out of 2x3s, AMHIK

HTH

M
Old 02-02-2023, 07:38 AM

Home depot husky work bench has adjustable feet to level the table, none of my basement or garage floors are level. Move in tables didn’t work for me. Wire shelves are not that great, it’s hard to store smaller items without tipping everything over. Husky wall cabinets are very tidy, fill up the shelves and close the doors, no dust or garage mower clippings on everything. General tool box from Harbor Freight- drawers are superior to peg board in my opinion, and a 46” can be topped with a butcher block and rolled around. Remember, this equipment will be around for a long time, but once cry once-
Old 02-02-2023, 07:43 AM
Administrator

I work on a lot more than bicycles, and a sturdy work bench is a must for me.

I build the bench directly into the garage, hooking and triangulating to the studs. I want to be able to hang my body weight off a 3' wrench pulling on something clamped in the bench vise without the bench itself moving.

The biggest revelation in my new work space(s) in the last decade have been lighting. LED shop lights are so good and it would be hard to go back to a few bulbs hanging here and there. Amazing how things get easier when you can see what you're working on!
Old 02-02-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I work on a lot more than bicycles, and a sturdy work bench is a must for me.

I build the bench directly into the garage, hooking and triangulating to the studs. I want to be able to hang my body weight off a 3' wrench pulling on something clamped in the bench vise without the bench itself moving.

The biggest revelation in my new work space(s) in the last decade have been lighting. LED shop lights are so good and it would be hard to go back to a few bulbs hanging here and there. Amazing how things get easier when you can see what you're working on!
LEDs - I agree- I have 4 4k lumen lights above my 14’ bench, bolted to the wall!
Old 02-02-2023, 08:52 AM

I built massive drawer base & workbench tops in my basement, nearly 20 linear feet in an L pattern. Tons of drawers, cabinet shelves, etc. Naturally I never put anything away so it all sits on top, where I can find it.

The mistake I made was covering the benchtop with a massive sticker collection (which still gets new additions). This turns out to be perfect tool camo and small parts can disappear entirely. Now I have to use old cookie sheets with a shop rag to hold my project so I don’t spend time searching the bench with a flashlight looking for tiny parts. Put your stickers on something that won’t hold a tool, such as your kid.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
Drawers, stackable bins - label them and keep them tidy.

I find that having tools out (like on pegboard) is rarely necessary.

One thing I love is a rack of wheel hooks. I love a lined-up row of wheels hanging in hooks, above a doorway or something. Alternatively, wheels in wheelbags hung up on a wall - but I often forget which wheels are in wheelbags.

A hose and bike-wash station is very nice to have.
Thanks! Unfortunately we have no surplus wheels (looks like a problem I need to solve).

The garage comes with wall-mounted wire storage which I think I will shuffle around.

It also has some pegboards..perhaps it would be wise to rethink their use. Maybe to store bags? hmm
Old 06-27-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
THAT'S what I'm talking about!
Old 06-27-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Don't put the extra boxes full of stuff in the the garage, thinking you will figure out where in the house it will go later.....it never leaves. Been in our house 10+ years....there are still some boxes there.....ugh.
THIS 100% it has taken me four years to get to the point where I can actually setup my 3 workbenches (1 hand tool woodworking, 1 assembly table, and one bike/sharpening bench).