Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 11:07 AM

I need some tires

I need to order some tires and after changing one yesterday I'm wondering if there is a tire comparable to my Michelin Pro Race 4's in ride and durability. My aging arthritic hands are finding it more and more challenging to fix a flat because the Michelins fit so tight on my rims (both Campy and DT Swiss). Specifically, I'm curious about the Vittoria Corsa G+. Is it a comparable tire? Easier to mount and dismount? I've been happy with the Michelins in their various iterations for about 10 years except for the mounting issue.
TIA
Old 08-13-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
I need to order some tires and after changing one yesterday I'm wondering if there is a tire comparable to my Michelin Pro Race 4's in ride and durability. My aging arthritic hands are finding it more and more challenging to fix a flat because the Michelins fit so tight on my rims (both Campy and DT Swiss). Specifically, I'm curious about the Vittoria Corsa G+. Is it a comparable tire? Easier to mount and dismount? I've been happy with the Michelins in their various iterations for about 10 years except for the mounting issue.
TIA
Riding Corsa G+ currently and really like them - nice grip in corners, smooth riding. And the are far easier to mount than those Michelins and IMHE, wear better.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:22 PM

+1 for Corsa G+

While I can't compare to michelins, I found the G+ very easy to mount and they ride very well in the 25c size IMO.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:32 PM

i rode on the open corsas for a long while before the corsa g replaced it. a big part of that was that they were so easy to mount compared to the tires before. easy to handle, great grip, light weight. only trade off for me was a myriad tiny cuts in the tread, but that's the tradeoff for soft rubber at hi pressures. dunno if the corsa g are better in that regard.
fwiw, i had them on shimano something, dt rr1.1, campy eurus, and a23 rims. easy peasy. the only wheelset i had problems mounting them on was kinlin rims, but that was absurdly tight, and i suspect the rim.

i would suggest also sizing up one if your frame can fit it. i don't see the night/day ride quality differences that some people mention, but there's definitely a benefit when mounting.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:33 PM
Imshi Cycles

i rode pro4's for a few months and was not really impressed, the actual profile of the tire was just odd, kinda egg-shaped. seemed like too much rubber laid into the center strip of the tire without much of a transition into the sidewalls...vittoria corsa g+ or conti gp4k's are better, pretty much across the board.

better tire profile on the rim, mounting ease can vary from wheel to wheel but generally not all that difficult (technique makes a big difference, using the center channel of the rim for instance).

g+ corsa maybe gives up a little in durability/lifespan vs pro4/gp4k but they have a noticeably nicer ride quality.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:37 PM
Administrator

for me, michelin lost the script on racing tires after the PRO3. i really liked those tires, but the pro4's, just something about them does nothing for me, especially compared to the competition. the PRO3's wore pretty quickly, but they were a fast, grippy tire.

anyway, yes, the new vittorias are superb IMO. obviously the rims matter as far as ease of mounting too. i just changed some tires last night, the vittorias go on TB14's easily with fingers only (no levers).
Old 08-13-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
TIA
try spraying soapy water on the rim before mounting the tire. Works great in situations where the tire fits really tight on the rim. Out on the road, carry a small squirt bottle of soapy water
Old 08-13-2018, 01:20 PM

I like the cush of the Michelins.
Went with Endurance; they last longer on these nasty potholed glass-filled roads.
Messed with 25s out back, 23s up front. Not a big diff.
Give Michelin Power a try, they've been running fine for me.

For mounting, aside from wrist exercises, maybe try warming the tires in the sun.

Last edited by OldCrank; 08-13-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:14 PM

I've had really good luck with Schwable One (V-guard). My front has about 3,500 miles on it and I haven't flatted on it once. I'm about to replace it with the same tire this week. I replaced my rear a few months ago and had one puncture, which didn't even occur during a ride.

Highly recommended.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrank View Post
I like the cush of the Michelins.
Went with Endurance; they last longer on these nasty potholed glass-filled roads.
Messed with 25s out back, 23s up front. Not a big diff.
Give Michelin Power a try, they've been running fine for me.

For mounting, aside from wrist exercises, maybe try warming the tires in the sun.
Honestly, for me, the Michelin tires are very easy to take off and put on. I have Zipp 202 wheels and most of the time I can get them on without having to use tire irons.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:23 PM

Panaracer Type D. Pretty much no flats to change because of the casing material and still a very nice ride. Been riding them for about ten years now and one flat. Sounds exaggerated but its true and I’m big and ride pretty rough roads. Easy enough to put on too.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
try spraying soapy water on the rim before mounting the tire. Works great in situations where the tire fits really tight on the rim. Out on the road, carry a small squirt bottle of soapy water
SPIT works too.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:23 PM

The Corsa g+ have been great for me. A nice improvement in durability and tread wear over the old Corsa Evo while retaining the ride quality. The initial mount for an open tubular is often troublesome but it gets easier as they break in
Old 08-13-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Out on the road, carry a small squirt bottle of soapy water
you can't be serious about this...
Old 08-13-2018, 06:12 PM

I am shocked people ride the michelin pro 4 tires. my former riding buddy here rode them and flatted twice with me. I rode his bike for a while once and it was the first time ever i had a bike slip on a painted road line. those slick tires are the least grippy tires i have ever been on, and fragile too. I would say veloflex, Vittoria, or panaracer will do you better, and some people like the continentals too, i never really did. I also like the sworks tires, or turbo cottons, or whatever they are these days.