Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 04:27 PM

Come on guys. Please!
Old 08-13-2018, 04:56 PM

Cycling brings me peace. Out.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:59 PM

a lot of things in life are 'over-rated'...

doesn't stop me from indulging in them.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:05 PM

Over-rated? NOTHING in cycling is over-rated. It is all rated perfectly. It all matters exactly as much as it should to the person doing the rating. I really don't understand the point in even starting such a thread. If it matters to you, it matters. If it doesn't matter to you, it still may matter to someone. Why do you care?
We talk bike stuff on a bike forum. It's little stuff. It isn't important in the world view. Argue hills vs flats for training. Garmin vs Wahoo. Campy vs... well, no argument here, so argue about something else. It's ok. It's what we do here.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:16 PM
DELETE ACCNT

best comment I have ever read on PL was:
"It's winter AF around here"

LOL
Old 08-13-2018, 06:22 PM
ZhugeLiang

All is well. I am still listenin'.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:23 PM

Matching your panties to your socks is overrated.

So are those weird, stubby Specialized saddles.

Oh, and helmets. Helmets are overrated.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:28 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
It's always a good idea before engaging to take a step back, and remind yourself: We're adults....talking about bikes.
post of the year in my opinion
Old 08-13-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
Calling the OP a “self congratulatory fred” and “self aggrandizing” moves the response over the top into personal insult.
I never called the OP that, you're drawing the parallel. But, I can see how it could be interpreted as that. The "ethnocentric view" paragraph was directed towards him, but I don't know enough about weisan to make personal attacks, nor would I. If anything he's positive to the point of annoyance, but that's just my shortcoming as a flawed man.

Sure, sometimes his musings are rambling and self-serving (in some capacity), but this is a goddamn message board about bikes and bike riding. If anyone takes any of this sh it seriously, you need other outlets in your life, too.

Lighten up, Nancy.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:02 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
Please bear in mind that just because people don't share your point of view, you're not "right", and most importantly, not sharing your views doesn't make someone "wrong."

For some people, the point is going fast.

For some people, the point is going far.

For some people, the point is to climb thousands of feet.

For some people, having the "best bike" is something they enjoy having.

I mean, if you have the time to ride long, the ability to ride fast, and the disposable income to purchase whatever bike(s) you want, why wouldn't you? Is there some glory in not?

Personally, I think being a self-congratulatory fred who endlessly opines with a sense of superiority is overrated. Maybe you should up your riding and ride faster and longer, and while you're at it, make a couple extra bucks, buy something not from a sidewalk-sale co-op, and ride in those places that are "overrated". Show up to one of those fast rides in your area- you know, the ones with the racer wannabes on their "newest and best" bikes- and test your mettle. But you can't, and that's not your bag, so you're going to poo-pooh on others for engaging in such activities and prioritizing them.

Your ethnocentric view towards things comes off as self aggrandizing. There's always going to be someone smarter. There's always going to be someone faster. There's always going to be someone who has more money. To carry yourself in such a way as to demean or debase those reflects poorly upon you.

But then again, I could be wrong.
That's how I was when I was younger. I used to race, and can still get STRAVA KOM's in Portland, but now i just ride for the joy of riding. I lost my brother to a cycling accident four years ago, then his wife died, and then my mom to cancer and riding hard up hills is maybe the only thing which kept me sane and somewhat healthy through it all.
My newest bike is a gorgeous custom Zanconato with new Record 11 and has Shamals. It effing great, but I could still experience the same joy and therapeutic benefits on my older bikes. I'll probably never be as fast as I was, and that was a hard concept to process at first but now I'm okay with that. People evolve over time and things which were important (trying to win races and gear) can become less fulfilling. The best part of all of this, is really just being able to do it, because a lot of people can't.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:29 PM

^that.

I get the op, in that I ride with folks who look at strava and go , oh, 15.5. Yeah, with 1000ft every 10 mi and no group. Go judge me. And yeah, you want EVERY group ride to be cat 6, go ahead. Social media has screwed up much of our lives, from politics, to the state of our roads, to interpersonal interaction. The challenge of the coming generation is to integrate its potential with its practice.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pncguy View Post
...diagnosis of A-Fib and A-Flutter. It is very easy to fall into the "I'll never be able to ride again..." pit. While it actually may be true, it probably isn't...
I went through something similar three years ago. While waiting 2 months for the ablation procedure I rode almost daily, real slow, for an hour or so. Just to get out, stay active. A couple of weeks after the procedure the cardiologist basically said go for it.

Best of luck to you.

I'm afraid to think of where I am on the continuum of cycling-is-essential versus there-is-more-to-life.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
That's how I was when I was younger. I used to race, and can still get STRAVA KOM's in Portland, but now i just ride for the joy of riding. I lost my brother to a cycling accident four years ago, then his wife died, and then my mom to cancer and riding hard up hills is maybe the only thing which kept me sane and somewhat healthy through it all.
My newest bike is a gorgeous custom Zanconato with new Record 11 and has Shamals. It effing great, but I could still experience the same joy and therapeutic benefits on my older bikes. I'll probably never be as fast as I was, and that was a hard concept to process at first but now I'm okay with that. People evolve over time and things which were important (trying to win races and gear) can become less fulfilling. The best part of all of this, is really just being able to do it, because a lot of people can't.
That's a lot of loss in just a few years. I'm sorry for all of it, and glad you're able to find something in riding . . . and on a cool bike, at that.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:27 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
That's a lot of loss in just a few years. I'm sorry for all of it, and glad you're able to find something in riding . . . and on a cool bike, at that.
Thanks, it's been rough.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:31 PM

For the OP: If one is truly serene, there's no inclination to evaluate any other being.

Not sure what that's like, but it's something to aspire to.

Last edited by pbarry; 08-13-2018 at 09:39 PM.