Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2018, 01:03 PM

My vernice wires hurt my foot at the base of my small toe, too narrow I guess? I wedged stuff in the shoe in that area (a t handled Allen wrench wrapped in cloth) and tightened the dial and let it sit for days, it stretched enough to not hurt my foot anymore.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:58 AM

now i am concerned i ordered the wrong size from Merlin. i tried on 42 at a lbs and fits nicely with running shoe socks on, so i thought i'd order 41.5 and should be fine. but after reading this thread and it seems like there's not much stretch with the shoe is quite concerning.
NeilPryde Bura
Old 08-13-2018, 02:07 PM

The uppers are pretty rigid and don't stretch, not like the older Ergo shoes that had a bit more "give" in them.

Like others mentioned though, my feet shrink after a few miles so I end up having to ratchet them down a bit more once I've got going.

Some people complain of their feet swelling when they ride (never had this I don't think) so if that's the case for you, they probably won't work.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKS View Post
now i am concerned i ordered the wrong size from Merlin. i tried on 42 at a lbs and fits nicely with running shoe socks on, so i thought i'd order 41.5 and should be fine. but after reading this thread and it seems like there's not much stretch with the shoe is quite concerning.
I'd be tempted to return them. One thing to consider is the stock Sidi insole is very thin (and useless if you need support!)

If you get the 42 and find they're a touch loose, just put in a thicker insole.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:10 AM

thanks for the info. much appreciate the input.
NeilPryde Bura
Old 08-14-2018, 01:15 PM

I must have a super narrow foot because my SIDI Shots are the perfect length but the widest of any shoe I've worn. So wide that I was concerned with getting blisters. The workaround has been to wear thicker socks and even though the shoes remain loose my feet don't move around too much. Anyhoo, most comfortable shoes ever.

Creepy Viper Leg/Foot Shot

Last edited by beeatnik; 08-14-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
My impression with several modern SIDI's including Wires is that the shoes don't stretch so much as begin to conform to my overall foot. It seems that as the shoe gets used to my foot, my foot moves back a little in the shoe when fully strapped in.

These changes are slight. I would be a somewhat concerned with a too-tight toe box when starting out.
What he said. I keep returning to Sidi after trying everyone else and they're often initially not super-comfortable. Over time they wear in over the top of the foot, but the actual shoe doesn't "shape", IME. If it seems like you're in trouble in the toebox or heel, move on, otherwise give them a try.

My 2c.