Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2018, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post

Skinny tires ONLY advantage is on the smooth roads, and that advantage is speed.
i think, the ONLY advantage of skinny tires, when we're talking about D2R2 is the ability to go do the ride if the only bike you have is skinny tires.

fatter tires make the ride more enjoyable for all of the reasons eric mentioned, BUT!!! this ride is so good, and so much fun that you should not skip it just because you dont have a "gravel bike", if your bike can only fit 28's - it's still OK to come out and have fun. go slower and enjoy!

by all means, if you can fit fatter rubber, especially if this is your first time out here, but the big tires and low gears on and c'mon out!
Old 08-02-2018, 09:29 AM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i think, the ONLY advantage of skinny tires, when we're talking about D2R2 is the ability to go do the ride if the only bike you have is skinny tires.
oh yea, for sure!

sorry if anything i said sounded exclusionary...its absolutely rideable on a road bike
Old 08-02-2018, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
oh yea, for sure!

sorry if anything i said sounded exclusionary...its absolutely rideable on a road bike
you did not, i was just clarifying, and reminding people - no excuses!
Old 08-02-2018, 09:59 AM

I think the bottom line like so much with biking is it’s really about doing it and not what you’re doing it on. I’ve not met anyone who regretted doing it on whatever they’re on. It’s an amazing ride.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:07 AM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
Thanks for the reminder - I still have to sign up.

I'll be doing the 100k. I've done the 100k twice and the 115k once, but have missed the last 3 years for various reasons.

Not that anybody cares.....X'PLOR MSO 40mm and mtb shoes

Looking forward to it,
Murph

Same setup for me this year. Same as last year and doing the 100k again. Just not enough riding time for anything longer. Riding on 40mm mostly because I have nerve damage in my arm and need the extra cush.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:24 PM

Some folks have a distain for discussions about tire selection, particularly in regards to D2. I don't hold this grudge. For the most part the discussions are productive, at the least they are entertaining. Okay...…

The first year I did 180K D2 I used 28mm tires. They were the maximum volume that my frame at that time allowed. I survived, and enjoyed every kilometer of the ride.

I've since sporadically done the 100K, and at each edition I used different tires. I mostly increased the volume over the years.

Most certainly the ride of any length can be successfully achieved with any volume tire, but there are some considerations.

At some point during the event you will be letting your machine roll down a descent when you will encounter some heavy washboard. Let me tell you, skinny tires suck when this happens. Your head will detach from the balance of your body when you hit this stuff. It has happened to me.

If you are a tentative descender, larger volume tires will improve your confidence. Letting the machine roll is helpful to smooth out the rough spots, and larger rubber maintains more stability when this occurs.

All of these courses are long slogs, even the 100K. I've found that larger rubber reduces fatigue. The less the machine chatters, the more energy you will have to turn pedals.

I also believe that larger tires mitigate punctures. There was one year when I saw a rider, maybe two, who had Vittoria Pave tires mounted. Maybe they thought D2 was like riding Paris Roubaix? In any event, I don't think they made it twenty miles into their ride before they had exhausted their supply of tubes. I chuckled softly to myself.

Finally, at some point it will rain on D2 day. There, I said it. It hasn't yet, but it will at some point. You will most certainly want copiously large casings attached to your rims when the inevitable rainy day descends on D2.

Despite everything written above, I've marveled at some of the race machines with skinny tires attached to them that have successfully negotiated D2, and with aplomb. My hat is always off to those folks.

Last edited by merckx; 08-02-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:45 PM
ZhugeLiang

I am not doing it this year. But the last two times I did it, I went with 35mm Panaracer pasela. That was the restriction imposed by my bike.

If I were to do it again, there's absolutely no question in my mind, I will bring one of the other bikes that can take a fatter tire and my tire of choice would be gravel king 40 or 42 mm SK.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Skinny tires ONLY advantage is on the smooth roads, and that advantage is speed.
And speed only matters if you're racing.
Speed does MATTER but it is FUN I hit a personal best on a decent last year at D2R2 on 28s.

I like climbing a lot, because I really like going downhill, FAST.

But, to support what @AngryScientist said, those are the widest tires my bike can fit and so that's what i ride and still had a blast.

Last edited by MisterMurray; 08-02-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Finally, at some point it will rain on D2 day. There, I said it.
Gah...there goes my 5 year streak of absolutely perfect weather.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Some folks have a distain for discussions about tire selection, particularly in regards to D2. I don't hold this grudge. For the most part the discussions are productive, at the least they are entertaining. Okay...…
To the contrary-I look forward to it as a tradition. Not that i've anything new to add, other than reporting what I'm using. It's interesting how the conversations have evolved over the years. Not all that long ago more than a few people were advocating for skinny tires as being better on gravel generally.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:20 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
To the contrary-I look forward to it as a tradition. Not that i've anything new to add, other than reporting what I'm using. It's interesting how the conversations have evolved over the years. Not all that long ago more than a few people were advocating for skinny tires as being better on gravel generally.
exactly what I was going to say. I use more or less the same tire year after year but as a tradition, gotta talk about tires and how fatter tires are better, then you get the guy on the road bike that says its fine to do on 23s

But seriously, ride what you have but you will be better off on bigger tires.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:49 PM

I'm signed up for the first time this year. I grew up in Western Massachusetts, but never biked seriously while I still lived there. I signed up for the 180k, but I'm a little scared, and contemplating dropping down to the 160k.

For those who have done it before, if I don't know anybody out there going in, are there enough people around that I'll have company, or will I end up riding alone for 12 hours?
Old 08-05-2018, 04:26 AM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I'm signed up for the first time this year. I grew up in Western Massachusetts, but never biked seriously while I still lived there. I signed up for the 180k, but I'm a little scared, and contemplating dropping down to the 160k.

For those who have done it before, if I don't know anybody out there going in, are there enough people around that I'll have company, or will I end up riding alone for 12 hours?
You'll have as much or as little company as you want, tons of riders on the road but it never feels crowded. Try to find some folks moving at your pace and strike up some small talk, ya never know, might make a new friend or two!

The 180 is a challenge for sure, an all-day adventure and just as tough as you think, but very do-able with the right gearing, nutrition and hydration. There is also usually a bail out route at least at the lunch stop, if not a few other places along the way. It's only really important that you stay on your registered route until lunch (due to food distribution) but after that you can kinda do whatever you want. Very common for people to combine 2 routes based on how they feel and who they may end up meeting along the way.

Bottom line though, you can't miss with either the 160 or 180, or any route for that matter, they are all fantastic.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
You'll have as much or as little company as you want, tons of riders on the road but it never feels crowded. Try to find some folks moving at your pace and strike up some small talk, ya never know, might make a new friend or two!

The 180 is a challenge for sure, an all-day adventure and just as tough as you think, but very do-able with the right gearing, nutrition and hydration. There is also usually a bail out route at least at the lunch stop, if not a few other places along the way. It's only really important that you stay on your registered route until lunch (due to food distribution) but after that you can kinda do whatever you want. Very common for people to combine 2 routes based on how they feel and who they may end up meeting along the way.

Bottom line though, you can't miss with either the 160 or 180, or any route for that matter, they are all fantastic.
Definitely. All the riders are spread out over five + courses with different start times so not crowded. But you will be passing and being passed by riders in ones, twos, and small groups all day, with stretches of riding by yourself if that;s what you want. There are always one or two dozen or so riders at the feed stops, (much more at lunch) coming and going at all times. It's funny-I always find that I keep running into a lot of the same people, even the faster ones. That may be since some of the faster riders take more time at feeds and some of the slower riders take less time. So I end up seeing those riders at each feed and once in between each feed, when I pass them or they pass me. Anyway, its fun to sort of mark our progress that way.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:10 AM
ZhugeLiang

Marciero pal, are you and your hot S.O. riding on a tandem again this year?