Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
only if you sell the shares you currently have will you actually lose. nice time to buy.
A very rich person once said that when everyone is selling stocks, BUY. When everyone is buying, SELL. The best time to invest is when the market takes a dip. The bigger the dip, the better it is for buying.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:45 PM

If you're panicked, why not just buy inverse etf's and short the market?

Believe it or not many companies out there make products or services, and make a profit. There are gainers every day.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:10 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I don't know what you guys are so worried about - our economy's in good hands.

Or maybe not...
Old 12-07-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
A very rich person once said that when everyone is selling stocks, BUY. When everyone is buying, SELL. The best time to invest is when the market takes a dip. The bigger the dip, the better it is for buying.
Do the opposite of what the dips do, is it? Maybe it was WC Fields who said that?
Old 12-07-2018, 06:24 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
id like to think this is true, but often its difficult to prove you have something to offer, especially if the thing you have to offer is yourself. how do you get seen without lying on the piece of paper, because you'd have to to impress anyone.

Networking solves this problem

everyone does the same thing. i also find middle management can be quie petty and threatened by talent, often misdirecting talent to minimize competition. this is reality. it doesn't mean the company is any good, but its a fact.

Why would you want to work for a company like that
+1

A good network means you have people who know you and what you do...I just left a company I worked for 20+ years because of the trend of middle management was moving toward the second issue highlighted.

I was hired at my new job by the same guy that hired at company #1....he saw the management issues 10+ yrs prior and left. He knew me well (we used to ride together) and knew what I offered.

Love the new job...great management, great team.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
If anyone is getting ready to retire, they should already have their portfolio away from risky stocks. Same thing if a college fund is almost needed.
Exactly. As you near retirement or approach college, your/your parents' portfolio should shift from more volatile growth investments to more stable income based investments.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:38 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Exactly. As you near retirement or approach college, your/your parents' portfolio should shift from more volatile growth investments to more stable income based investments.
I believe how old you are and how long you expect to live are part of the equation as well....lots of folks are living 30+ yrs in retirement. Few financial downturns (recessions) last that long...

My wife does financial planning and her group plans for assets to last until age 100.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Winter (Big Dip) is coming.....

We're due for a recession and there's lots of little signs starting to accumulate - fixed investment falling rapidly (0.8% in 3Q), Brexit, Italy, Mueller, GM, latest jobs report. With all the leverage in the corporate debt market (particularly leveraged loans now at $1.5 trillion), that's the bubble to burst.

As Janet said, "Expansions rarely die of old age." At work, we are going to try to model what a corporate-led recession will look like, as the last one was in 1989. In some circles, the Financial Crisis wasn't even a 1-in-10 year stress event (14% default rate, 10% unemployment). We used a lot of fiscal and monetary stimulus
to recover from that. It's not as easy this time with the budget already near a $1 trillion deficit and the Fed trying to wind down a large balance sheet of assets.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:48 PM

Ah yes, of course. why would you work for a company like that? hmmm, well, often times folks dont know their managers are petty when they are hired.

some folks dont have the liberty to choose. thats like saying oh, your employer doesn't offer good health care? just get a new job. Just mve to a new town. as if that's easy. some folks would say "well it is that easy." and to those folks, i would say "sure, for some, maybe for you, not for everyone, dont be silly"

i am speaking about his all hypothetically as i left the silly game some time ago. oh and it was a game. a ridiculous game played by theoretical adults.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:50 PM

Ah yes, of course. why would you work for a company like that? hmmm, well, often times folks dont know their managers are petty when they are hired.

networkings solves that

some folks dont have the liberty to choose. thats like saying oh, your employer doesn't offer good health care? just get a new job. Just mve to a new town. as if that's easy. some folks would say "well it is that easy." and to those folks, i would say "sure, for some, maybe for you, not for everyone, dont be silly"

i am speaking about his all hypothetically as i left the silly game some time ago. oh and it was a game. a ridiculous game played by theoretical adults.

If you believe it is a game. Then it will become a game. If you believe its a calling it will become a calling.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:54 PM

how about that dow today

Last edited by Mzilliox; 12-07-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
how about that dow today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6uKpwCZnkk
Old 12-07-2018, 07:40 PM

yep, that's the one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Yes, sadly, I don't believe it is an uncommon story....
today's society seems to be a mash-up of Dickensian tales and Death of a Salesman, less (possibly) the debtor's prisons. Though given the way certain municipalities operate, it could be argued that jails are indeed used as debtor's prisons...
Old 12-07-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
And now there is a pending Pilot shortage that could wreak havoc....
would this finally allow pilots working the regional airlines to make a decent living? I was under the impression that the trans-continental captains are well remunerated, but that short-haul pilots are struggling
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
Wow, nice response. Some people's retirement income or college funds are dependent on the market. It seems that some posters are sarcastic a-holes indifferent to the financial vulnerability of others. But we all could have guessed that.
this exactly

the person to whom you respond probably don't need to make Require Minimum Distributions, etc. Of course, one should move toward safer assets as one gets ready to withdrawl money, but it's bad form to be so glib
Old 12-07-2018, 08:54 PM

Whew, such a relief to learn that only the ignorant or poor planners can be hurt by a market crash.

Tags
economy, freemoneyhouse, game stop, i like this stock, stonks, wealth