Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2018, 10:10 AM

bike racing - tips and tricks

hi, anyone here races? i am new to (bike) road racing in Canada and would like any tips and tricks on skills that's essential to all racers.
much appreciate it.
thanks.
NeilPryde Bura
Old 06-14-2018, 10:29 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

You're going to get an onslaught of advice, so I'll start with a few clarifying questions...
1) Are you asking about fitness/training tips?
2) Are you asking about strategy/tactics tips?

Regardless of those answers...here's my advice:
  • Get comfortable riding in a pack. More importantly, get comfortable with being uncomfortable in a pack.
    [**]do some bump drills with a friend, on the grass, at slow speed and practice leaning on each other, touching elbows on bodies, etc.
  • Find a group ride on go on it - or use some races as "practice" races - don't worry about results. After a few practices races, try working on moving around the peloton comfortably. See if you maintain a certain place in the pack. Was it hard or easy? Okay, now practice moving forward and back in the pack. How was that different? This teaches you how to 'read' the group. How it flows, where are good places to pass, etc. Spend some time on the front, or at least working on the front - what's that like?
  • For me frequency was key. The number of times you race, or practice racing, the more opportunities you have to learn. Racing once a month was too much of a mindfnck for me. I'd spend so much time worrying about the race and focusing my training and rearranging my schedule that it had a big impact off the bike. Once I starting doing 2 or 3 races per month I was able let go of the idea that "this is THErace." I was able to say "here I am, i've done the work and I can win. If i don't, I'll get it next week."
Old 06-14-2018, 10:34 AM

It's useful to find a group that *teaches* racing. My old club, the Boston Road Club, holds a weekly crit in the Boston suburbs that, in part, is designed to welcome new riders, train them in the basics of racing, and help them move up the ranks.

Looks like there's something similar in the Toronto area:

https://midweekclub.ca/
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 06-14-2018, 10:57 AM

I managed to claw my way up to Cat 2 here in the states. I think Dude has covered the basics pretty well. The only other thing I would add is that typically the safest place in the pack is on the front but then you don't want to be the one pushing the wind all the time either. Learn how to balance that by maintaining your position near the front. That way you can anticipate any breaks or even initiate them yourself. If you are in the back then you are just being dragged along.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:59 AM
Classics Fan

I raced, I crashed. My wrist hasn't been the same.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
...It's useful to find a group that *teaches* racing. My old club...
Local clubs used to be instrumental. Multiple events each week to ride. Groups with similar abilities would be formed and often run as a "handicap" (given a head start) event.

I don't recall a lot of instruction, rather ample opportunity for experience and learning.

I now look at the formerly rural areas and vacant industrial parks that we used to race in and think: we couldn't run there today. The one venue that appears little changed and probably much improved is the local velodrome.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:10 AM

Keep to the front and out of trouble
Get use to being bumped
If you race, you will at some point be involved in a crash so use an inexpensive bike and wheelset to start
Learn to follow "good wheels"
Have fun
Old 06-14-2018, 11:22 AM
That guy..

don't race what you cant replace ?
Old 06-14-2018, 11:31 AM

if youre in toronto your best bet is to join the midweek club and enter the 'learn to race' series...

Old 06-14-2018, 11:41 AM

I used to race the midweek crits. Probably your best bet for regular Toronto races. But if it's still in that same parking lot watch out for those concrete dividers. Seen a couple horrific endos from a bit of contact or overcooked turn. The donut run.used to be a great way to get some pack training. I'd imagine it's no where near as fast as it used to be with all.tje new traffic lights.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
don't race what you cant replace ?
including body parts. Dental implants are hugely expensive (ask me how I know)

That said, I was foolish enough to continue even after my crash (during my 5th race). Other than some extremely minor, self-inflicted crash (pedaled too early coming out of U-turn), I stayed out of trouble. As mentioned upthread, learn how to stay on the front. However, this is easier said than done, as everyone has the same strategy. More specifically, learn how to surf back to the front with minimal energy if you find yourself shuffled back. Side blasting is wasteful and will dent the sharpness of your eventual attack/sprint. With that approach, I was very good as a cat-3 and could have upgraded to cat-2 if I wanted to.

But racing is like playing Russian roulette, and the more races you enter, the higher (cumulative) likelihood that you'll break something. I thought it'd be best to stop while nothing else was broken. There are those fortunate enough not to have any serious happen even after hundreds of races, but that's far from the norm.

Make sure you have sufficient health insurance coverage. If you have a high deductible plan, then make sure you are stashing away money (tax free) for that emergency. Good luck, and have fun
Old 06-14-2018, 12:20 PM

You're Canadian eh. Let's see, throwing punches while wearing cycling shoes is similar to fighting on skates. You won't be able to plant your feet so you'll have to rely on jabs and uppercuts. Try to pull your opponents jersey over his head to obstruct his vision and bind his arms so he can't fight back. Don't waste any energy on body blows, go for the face. Good luck buddy.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:49 PM

I raced as a junior and then as a cat2 and I learned the hard way that I do not do well at flat crits and short loops and that they were boring for me and more dangerous - get to know your strengths and try and select races that are interesting to you and suit your riding.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
It's useful to find a group that *teaches* racing. My old club, the Boston Road Club, holds a weekly crit in the Boston suburbs that, in part, is designed to welcome new riders, train them in the basics of racing, and help them move up the ranks.

Looks like there's something similar in the Toronto area:

yes, this is where it all begins for me. thanks for the info.
NeilPryde Bura
Old 06-14-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
You're going to get an onslaught of advice, so I'll start with a few clarifying questions...
1) Are you asking about fitness/training tips?
2) Are you asking about strategy/tactics tips?

Regardless of those answers...here's my advice:
  • Get comfortable riding in a pack. More importantly, get comfortable with being uncomfortable in a pack.
    [**]do some bump drills with a friend, on the grass, at slow speed and practice leaning on each other, touching elbows on bodies, etc.
  • Find a group ride on go on it - or use some races as "practice" races - don't worry about results. After a few practices races, try working on moving around the peloton comfortably. See if you maintain a certain place in the pack. Was it hard or easy? Okay, now practice moving forward and back in the pack. How was that different? This teaches you how to 'read' the group. How it flows, where are good places to pass, etc. Spend some time on the front, or at least working on the front - what's that like?
  • For me frequency was key. The number of times you race, or practice racing, the more opportunities you have to learn. Racing once a month was too much of a mindfnck for me. I'd spend so much time worrying about the race and focusing my training and rearranging my schedule that it had a big impact off the bike. Once I starting doing 2 or 3 races per month I was able let go of the idea that "this is THErace." I was able to say "here I am, i've done the work and I can win. If i don't, I'll get it next week."
this is awesome. thank you very much.
NeilPryde Bura