Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2015, 02:03 PM

OT: Watch suggestions <$1k (Sinn 556i)

Hey forumites, I am finishing a master's degree in May and I'm starting to look at watches. I'm looking for a nicely made mechanical watch on a bracelet that won't embarrass me in front of clients/bosses/father-in-law's etc.. that will all inevitably have a bigger bank accounts than mine for some time to come. So far, the one watch that keeps catching my eye is the Sinn 556i. It's so good-looking, but it seems a little overpriced compared to it's competitors. Who out there has one, and who out there has an opinion about one?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2015, 02:31 PM

http://www.jomashop.com/oris-watch-7...FdgQgQod6BUAxQ

Last edited by jr59; 02-14-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:53 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Seiko SKX007 automatic diver. $150 grey-market on Amazon.

It has the legendary 7s26 movement and a cult following. (Google it and you'll see.)

Do you want to impress folks with how much you paid, or do you want a great movement?

http://monochrome-watches.com/seiko-...beater-divers/

Old 02-14-2015, 02:54 PM
Administrator

i have heard nothing but great about Sinn, though i dont own one myself.

i do own an two oris watches, and they are superb.

at a slightly lower price point, Hamilton is worth consideration.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:05 PM

My wife bought me this for our 10 year anniversary. I have enjoyed it very much. Not sure your taste but it get great review. The Seiko "tuna cans" can be had sub 1k if you like that style.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001M5...itianium+diver
Old 02-14-2015, 03:12 PM

slippery slope...

I've admired Sinn before, too.

But I can offer another first-hand vote for Oris and Hamilton.

I decided that I wanted a nice mechanical watch about 10-15 years ago. Wanted something competent, but not excessive. I knew that different brands were different and that some justified a bigger price tag than others, but I didn't see a need to overpay for a particular name. I read lots of reviews and looked at lots of pictures and Oris struck me as a very nice piece at a relatively fair price.
Served me very well until this past summer when, due to my negligence, I ended up with a gasket compromise and some fogging. Not a big deal, but it did require a complete servicing to be back to new condition.

A few years ago I decided that I wanted my son to have a nice mechanical piece, too. For him, we picked a Hamilton and it's a handsome, solid timepiece.

While my watch was in for repair, I missed having something solid so picked up a Maratac Pilot (after admiring EchelonJohn's watch) and find that I like that one a whole bunch, too.

When I see Sinn or Omega or other pieces that have always struck me, I grow tempted to add to my collection. Thus far, I've been able to resist. But one nice mechanical watch has become two nice pieces. In other words, watches can be a lot like bikes in so much as you start out with a reasonable goal and can end up at n+1 in a hurry.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:14 PM
Carbon-loving lifeform

I wear a Sinn U1 which was overpriced for what it is but I love it.

Before you spend $1k on that 556i, please spend some time watching watch shows on ShopNBC. I am not kidding. There you will see what the guts of the 556i are really worth. An ETA 2824 movement is an entry level automatic movement; a sapphire crystal should be expected on anything over $300, and the bracelet on that model is fairly standard looking. You are paying up for the Sinn name and the German connotation, IMO. I paid up for the U1 because the dial face spoke to me over a couple of years and I learned how much instant readability really meant after having some cooler watches that were a struggle to read. I also liked the U-boat steel thing, as stupid as that is.

IMO the dial face on the 556i is much less distinctive against the competition than the U1. It is by no means a bad face for the use you intend, but it will attract no attention from either watch snobs or watch newbies, and you can achieve the same for less elsewhere.

I say take your time and get something a little more distinctive if you want to send a message with your watch. Go on watch forums and hunt down lesser known German brands, for example. Consider a used watch from a reputable seller if you want more status and don't have the budget. I bet you will be glad if you take your time (call it 3 months) and just look at a lot of watches and read forum comments.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:34 PM

Get a nice solid gold vintage dress watch for such meetings rather than bulky one. I have one identical to this http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3314681...lpid=82&chn=ps

what your looking at is a sport watch
Old 02-14-2015, 03:47 PM

Look at Stowa as well.

But bang for the buck, in a new watch, Seiko, Oris
Old 02-14-2015, 03:49 PM

big fan of going vintage, but that's a whole 'nuther thing

if going new or near-new you cant beat hamiltons.

i love me some sinn, i've owned 12 of them! have settled on a hand-wound 903. you cant go wrong with that 556 -- it's a great choice and you get more than you're paying for. IMO it stands up to watches costing a fair bit more.

might also consider tissot or oris in that price range. maybe even eterna.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:01 PM
Mr.Chicken Legs

I LOVE Accutron Watches with Tuning Fork movements. Nothing IMO beats the Hum that these watches make, as well as the freakishly fluid second hand.
I just picked up one of these...actually my wife surprised me with it. Accutron 1967 218 movement. Craziest movement. Love these tuning fork movements.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Get a nice solid gold vintage dress watch for such meetings rather than bulky one. I have one identical to this http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3314681...lpid=82&chn=ps

what your looking at is a sport watch
That is classy. Likewise the Omega Constellation below. Watches like that, imho ooze class.

To the OP, talk to/PM jr59, oldpotatoe of the watch world.

Last edited by binxnyrwarrsoul; 02-14-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:04 PM
The bass playing cyclist

I have a few nice vintage watches, and a Sinn U1, and while the U1 seems to be the only thing I really wear these days, you can't go wrong with a vintage Omega like the Constellation. You should be able to pick up a nice '60's era version in stainless or gold plate for around $500 and with another $100 for a full service, you'd have a classic with a movement that's of far higher quality than you'd find in a Sinn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 358-adial-3-400x300.jpg (29.5 KB, 1536 views)
Old 02-14-2015, 04:08 PM

i've got a couple tissot, blancpain and a vacheron c.

i've been admiring a sinn u 2 for some time, and at some point i'm sure i'll do it. good watch. like someone said above, i always lean towards a watch that's easily read in poor light etc.

i'd also add another vote for hamilton as well. solid watch without being too expensive.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:36 PM

Everyone, thanks for the replies!

1Centaur, I agree, I have time on my side so to speak. Waiting has worked out well for me for bike and stereo stuff...it's nice not to need anything

I will take the Oris reference from JR59 seriously since people have strongly recommended JR59's expertise.

the SKX007 that Louis recommended is actually a really fun-looking option and one of my friends just got one recently and is super-happy with it. And the price is low enough that I could pick one up while waiting for something more serious.

Shortsocks, that's a slick watch.

Steveandbarb1, if I was looking for a dress watch, I would just go with a Junghans Max bill hands-down. A kind of left field watch would be an orient bambino although that's not a "serious" watch, it's very nice looking and affordable.

Searching for a vintage Omega seems like a fun way to kill time online, and that constellation is beautiful.

Does anyone have an opinion about the Mido Multifort?

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. Cheers!