Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2018, 02:23 AM

https://www.werkzeuge-tools.ch/index...iAAEgIjnvD_BwE

There. Screwdrivers and Allen keys better than Hazet and Stahlwille. And I *love* Hazet and Stahlwille.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:58 AM

haven't had issues with the tool roll but have two friends that have. one lost the entire contests of the roll. whether it's user error or not, I have no idea. I do see a lot of people mounting them backwards...

wasn't super stoked on the Impero Ultimate. for one, any pressure higher than 80psi is quite difficult; way more than with a Topeak MasterBlaster or even a Lezyne Road Drive. for two, even though I used it once within the year I had it, the leather seal gave way and I was told I needed to fork out $6 for "pump blood" to re-treat the leather seal and that this would be required yearly-ish. for a pump that kinda sucks anyway? nah. the pump does look great though, and is otherwise built quite well.

other stuff of theirs has been mostly good. sliding T-handle wrenches are awesome. as is the Ti torque ratchet set. the Super Pista Ultimate has been awesome overall (and is quite a pleasure to use, even), though the gasket fails WAY too fast, especially on threaded valves. it works great while it's alive, though...
Old 06-20-2018, 07:12 AM
UN-Registered® User!

Silca - Overated Marketing Hype (my experience)

This is similar to what you see happening with most web based “solutions” and startups....

You read the story of Silca and how the name was sold, correct?

Well, if you did, then you know you are not buying from the good old Italian company, you are just buying the name and cheap Taiwanese/Chinese tools and the kind of support you are going to get is what you mentioned in the first place... “The tools are good”...

If you want a tool that going to last you, do like others have mentioned, get tools that are not made for the bike industry, with the exception of some items from Park Tool or Pedro’s.

I personally use mostly Snap-on or Craftsman. Never had a return, never had a tool fail...
Old 06-20-2018, 07:19 AM

That $180 bag looks GOOD though!
Old 06-20-2018, 09:12 AM

I have been very happy with my Superpista Ultimate. I bought it, I use it, and it never gives me any guff.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
I have been very happy with my Superpista Ultimate. I bought it, I use it, and it never gives me any guff.
I too have been very happy with my SuperPista Ultimate, but the gauge has had to be warrantied three (!) times due to not holding air. It seems the fourth time is the charm, though.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:13 PM

A Bluetooth mini pump. Seriously? Maybe I’ll hold out for a Bluetooth integrated version of their seat roll.

...I owned the Premio seat roll for a couple months then sold it. Clunky, over-engineered, and heavy. The fabric is nice, but there’s way too much material in relation to the storage you get. I can get to my stuff in a traditional saddle bag in a fraction of the time it takes to loosen the BOA, pull it between the seat rails, unsnap the snapper thingy, unroll the roll, get what I need, roll it up again, threaten the BOA strap through the seat rails, untangle it because it will get tangled, align the strap again, twist the BOA, re-snap the snapper etc.

I agree with others...the BOA dial is a gimmick in this application. Adding Bluetooth to a mini pump just takes the gimmickry to a whole new level.

While the pumps are obviously well made, I think the point of the OP is about the state of things today...as opposed to the past.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post

...I owned the Premio seat roll for a couple months then sold it. Clunky, over-engineered, and heavy. The fabric is nice, but there’s way too much material in relation to the storage you get. I can get to my stuff in a traditional saddle bag in a fraction of the time it takes to loosen the BOA, pull it between the seat rails, unsnap the snapper thingy, unroll the roll, get what I need, roll it up again, threaten the BOA strap through the seat rails, untangle it because it will get tangled, align the strap again, twist the BOA, re-snap the snapper etc.
Anytime you have to threaten something on your bike, it's not a good day, or not a good product. Sounds like it's appropriate rather than a quirky auto correct.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:43 PM
Classics Fan

I think that is just the nature of the industry today, especially with social media. Easy to hit the "like" button on something that looks (superficially) cool, but that you don't necessarily have any real experience with, or ability to discern its quality (or other performance metric).
Old 06-20-2018, 10:51 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-20-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Anytime you have to threaten something on your bike, it's not a good day, or not a good product. Sounds like it's appropriate rather than a quirky auto correct.
Nailed it. Yeah I noticed the auto correct too, and was about to fix it...but yeah maybe threaten is an appropriate term here
Old 06-20-2018, 10:58 PM

<edited>

...I still think a Bluetooth enabled pump is pretty funny. ;-)

Last edited by Wayne77; 06-21-2018 at 01:51 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:38 AM

Quote:
I was just thinking more about that Silca Bluetooth pump. Why stop there? -there are so many more opportunities to move mini pump technology out of the dark ages:

- Find My Pump. If you loose your pump on the trail, use your Silca phone app with convenient pump GPS locator to help you find the pump in that bush 5 feet away. If you still can’t find it use the app to have the pump play a sound so you can echo-locate it. This is especially handy for locating your pump in one of your dishonest friends jersey pockets.

- Pump selfie stick. It expands another 5 feet with a clip on the end to attach a smart phone or GoPro so you can capture those wonderful “look at how unintentionally hot I look while pumping up a tire” moments for Instagram.

- Social network integration. When you deploy the pump it conveniently posts a Facebook message and geo location. Example: “Wayne just got a flat at <location>. Don’t worry! He is ok! Using his Silca Tattico mini pump, Wayne pumped his tire to EXACTLY 92.3 PSI, and is now on his way again. Click here to see his location. If you too are tired of pinching the tire to verify “yup the tire seems to have lots of air” click here to purchase.
Ill take capitalism and innovation over the alternative. I know you have forum to criticize people who execute their visions but think about the alternative. In other words, think about the alternatives to what I mention. I think that has ended up into oligarchies. I am ok with criticism but it sounds like you are criticizing simple because you can and have a forum to do so. In my opinion that is pretty lame to do without acknowledging the attempt, courage and passion to innovate. Try a more positive way of showing objections and steer innovators to the correct path. Should not that be the charter of the customer?

Sorry to get so deep and singling you out but there is a lot of negativity on this thread.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Ill take capitalism and innovation over the alternative. I know you have forum to criticize people who execute their visions but think about the alternative. In other words, think about the alternatives to what I mention. I think that has ended up into oligarchies. I am ok with criticism but it sounds like you are criticizing simple because you can and have a forum to do so. In my opinion that is pretty lame to do without acknowledging the attempt, courage and passion to innovate. Try a more positive way of showing objections and steer innovators to the correct path. Should not that be the charter of the customer?

Sorry to get so deep and singling you out but there is a lot of negativity on this thread.
Just having some fun...good points though. Didn’t mean for it to come out mean spirited. Thanks for the respectfully stated points.

Last edited by Wayne77; 06-21-2018 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Just having some fun...good points though. Didn’t mean for it to come out mean spirited. Thanks for the respectfully stated points.
word, I owe you a beer next in SLC.