Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2018, 06:30 AM

Allied Allroad Reviews?

Wondering if anyone who has purchased an Allied can provide an update on their bike. Been looking recently, visited them at NAHBS, impressive, they offer a buy back program, so I could sell my bike to them and put the payment towards a new Allied Allroad. It’s a great deal, I wouldn’t have to deal with eBay and all the costs associated with that nightmare!

Looking for reviews of the Alfa and Allroad.

Thanks,
quattro
Old 06-19-2018, 08:12 AM

Did you see this?

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/06/alli...o-the-n1-rule/
Old 06-19-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
Wondering if anyone who has purchased an Allied can provide an update on their bike. Been looking recently, visited them at NAHBS, impressive, they offer a buy back program, so I could sell my bike to them and put the payment towards a new Allied Allroad. It’s a great deal, I wouldn’t have to deal with eBay and all the costs associated with that nightmare!

Looking for reviews of the Alfa and Allroad.

Thanks,
quattro
I have an Alpha and I love it. The carbon deadens road noise, but it’s not too damp and has a really nice feel. Its very stable, and handles very nicely. It’s super comfortable. I like mine a lot. I’ve always ridden ti or steel before and this is my first carbon bike. I’m really impressed with the Alpha. I probably have 1,000 miles on mine so far.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:18 AM

I have a buddy who rides one. I would think the Alpha. There is also a shop down the interstate in Shreveport that is an authorized dealer. Both speak highly of the company and how easy they are to deal with. As far as road reviews I dont have much to add but from what I have seen and gathered they seem to be a good company making quality bikes which I am pretty sure are all made in the states.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:32 AM

Seems like universal praise...

...coming from the press and video reviews.

https://youtu.be/jd0M6NGFo-8
http://www.roadbikereview.com/review...ad-bike-review
https://www.outsideonline.com/226059...llied-all-road
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...l-road-tested/
https://roadbikeaction.com/bike-test-allied-alfa/

Seems like a natural competitor to the Parlee Chebacco, from the looks, capability, use and manufacturer.

That being said can't really know how it suits your needs unless you ride it.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:42 PM

I just ordered one and will let you know.

Allroad 54+, Ultegra Di2, Enve G23s with WTB exposure 32s
Old 06-20-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgordon View Post

Sweet.

Hat color did you choose?
Old 06-20-2018, 06:43 AM

Allied

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgordon View Post

So how did you decide on the Allroad between other brands available? The build you are getting is very nice indeed and not inexpensive. What were the deciding factors that ultimately tipped the scale to choose the Allied Allroad over say a Parlee Chebacco or other brand, appreciate your insights. I’m considering but not quite there yet.

Thanks,
quattro
Old 06-20-2018, 07:22 AM

For me, I liked the geometry and the longish toptube. I knew it would fit, and I liked the way HIA was setting up its business. I was reluctant to purchase without riding. I called and spoke with the sales manager Jorge, ho told me that I could return the bike after riding it if I was unhappy. I was worried about the 30 day return period because I was taking delivery in the wlate inter when I would not have an opportunity to ride it, but was told that Allied would be reasonably flexible. I spoke again with Jorge a few times, and met him and saw the bikes in person at NAHBS. The bikes are nice, and the finish is great. And noted above, I did an eTap build, with rim brakes and HED Belgium+ wheels on King hubs. The bike rides great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A65A8C85-599D-44D4-80BB-DC100E65CA71.jpg (77.2 KB, 314 views)
Old 06-20-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
So how did you decide on the Allroad between other brands available? The build you are getting is very nice indeed and not inexpensive. What were the deciding factors that ultimately tipped the scale to choose the Allied Allroad over say a Parlee Chebacco or other brand, appreciate your insights. I’m considering but not quite there yet.

Thanks,
quattro
I just moved from the SF Bay area to Denver, and am still getting used to the road riding, but I found that my current bikes didn't quite offer what I think will be needed around here. I have a singlespeed 'cross bike that is great for the trails really close to Denver, and a MTB that I have to drive in order to ride, and a road bike that I am perfectly aware _can_ be ridden on dirt, but I am just a total weenie about keeping it perfectly clean.

It seems so far like in order for the road riding to have some diversity, it has to include some gravel, as once you get a ways out of town many of the roads seem to turn to dirt.

So, I wanted a bike for roughly 70/30 road/dirt, and most of the competition seems to skew the other way, towards gravel. I know that a "normal" road bike with 28s or 30s would have been just fine too, but I also like the idea of being able to put 38s on it, and have it act as a 'cross bike, if I want a bike like that which has more than one gear. I love that the geometry of the Allroad is really quite close to a normal road bike. The Chebacco does seem to be quite a bit more "relaxed".

I ended up with 32mm tires because I still want it to feel like a road bike, but I also want to take advantage of the extra clearance; it would feel wasteful to buy a bike for that express purpose... and then put 28s on it that would fit on my road bike (probably).

FWIW, the other bike I was really considering was the Canyon Endurace.

I ordered the "Dove Grey" color. Was tempted by some of their "vintage" options too.

Last edited by mgordon; 06-20-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:58 AM

Allied Allroad

I like a lot about this bike-
The geometry may or may not be good depending on your usage.
1.) Fork is super short- Therefore stack on the standard frames is quite low.
Ideal for mostly road, and or highly flexible, low handlebar type rider- Not so ideal for all others.
Plus solves this to an extent but the stack is still lower than many other gravel type bikes.
2.) Front center is short- Under 59cm in a 54cm bike- So road bike short. This may or may not work well for you.
I know that I have overlap on my 54cm gravel bike and it has a front center that is almost 2cm longer than the Allied.
Again- know what your needs and desires are.
This could be the ideal road bike for someone who does a little offroad and has an aggressive position.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:39 PM

cycling tips, recently launched a podcast talking about the Allied bike... definitely worth listening if you're considering that bike.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:54 PM

This is the second time I’ve come into this thread to say “don’t buy an audi Allroad” and been super confused by the discussion.

Don’t buy an Audi Allroad.