Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2018, 07:07 PM

Good to see Toyota finally win, they've been trying for years and have had some heartbreaks. Last Jap win was in 1991 with the 4 rotor Mazda driven by Johnny Herbert et. al. Now that was an effing race car! Shook the leaves right out of the trees, had a ti exhaust that glowed and shot flames. Doesn't get much better than that.

Really miss a normally aspirated Judd or Ferrari mixed in with the rumble of a Ford v8 stuffed into a riley and scott chassis. Quite a ruckus of sound, not liking the current era on sound aesthetics alone. Don't get me started on dentists and their pay to arrive and drive 911's
Old 06-19-2018, 02:31 PM
Administrator

I was re-watching the last fifteen minutes of the race and when the cameras were cutting back and forth between the pits of the different teams they kept showing one guy who looked familiar to me. First it was familiar, then I'm thinking he looks kind of like an actor but I couldn't put a name with a face. A few minutes later as the current team placement on the track was scrolling by I noticed "Dempsey - Proton Racing"....then it clicked. I had no idea he was involved and had a team there competing which took first in the GTE Am class running a Porsche 911 RSR....

Quote:
Patrick Dempsey lauded his Dempsey-Proton Racing team as they recorded a dominant victory in the GTE Am class at the 2018 24 Hours of Le Mans with the #77 Porsche 911 RSR, driven by Matt Campbell, Christian Ried and Julien Andlauer.

Speaking after the race the Hollywood star was very happy to have succeeded as a team owner for the first time, “I’m really tired and really satisfied and relaxed right now and want to go celebrate with the team.

“You know it’s always good to see through the course of the week and you know I was just trying to stay calm through the race and his you know make sure the guys were focused, comfortable and supported....

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...-movie-ending/

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 3.31.05 PM.jpg (29.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 06-19-2018, 03:05 PM
Serotta Newbie

Velocity having the entire race this year was cool. I could watch what I wanted and go back later to check in.

I just renewed my Daytona 24 hour tickets for January Last year was a blast.

Mark
Old 06-19-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Don't get me started on dentists and their pay to arrive and drive 911's
It's much better than it used to be.

The 60s had people in their near stock Minis or Austin-Healey Sprites while GT40s and Porsche 906s.

Or in the 70s when the Porsche 917s, 936s and 935s along with Ferrari prototypes of the time had to weave down a Mulsanne straight (with no chicanes) with people in near stock BMW 2002s and Alpines!

The speed differential has closed dramatically, coupled with the track top speed being brought down (or at least limited) with the chicanes. Plus lights in these cars are so much better.

Also the privateer racers now are so much better than back in the day from a skills perspective.