Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2023, 07:12 AM

I'm loving my Shimano S-Phyre RC903 Wide (size 46) shoes so much that I bought a second pair to hoard them away. I have the worst pronation in history and use the G8Performance orthotics and it's a super combo with these shoes. The Wide version has tons of room in the toe box but the heel is perfect for my narrow heels. Pricey as heck but worth every penny to me.

I want to note that the G8 orthotics are super--they come with little arch modules in progressively higher support levels so you can custom fit them to a large degree. I have zero arch (not kidding), so I use a quite aggressive arch support to create an arch in my foot and it's working wonders for the strain I get on the inside of each knee from the constant pronation at 75-90 rpms. They have little attachments for the ball of the foot, too. Game changer for me but YMMV. Tim
Old 09-19-2023, 11:54 AM

Bont, but obviously only if they fit you. Nothing is stiffer/more responsive - that's a good thing if the shoe is comfy in my opinion.

I'm in the middle of returning some top of the line Lakes right now. I have a wide foot, bordering on extra wide (but I never buy regular shoes in extra wide). The wide Lakes were just a bit narrow and definitely not enough with respect to volume. Yes, my feet are not average.
Old 09-19-2023, 12:33 PM
50 bpm

Any of the prior generation Mavics. Same last as the Adidas of the 00s. I managed to score four pairs before Mavic went belly-up, so I'll never need any more shoes.
Old 09-19-2023, 03:22 PM

Bont Vaypor have been by far the most comfortable road shoe I’ve ever worn. No hot spots even after long days. I used to think Lake CX401 were the best until I tried Bont. Sidi have been the least comfortable for me, they just don’t fit my feet.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Any of the prior generation Mavics. Same last as the Adidas of the 00s. I managed to score four pairs before Mavic went belly-up, so I'll never need any more shoes.
It's a funny world. I tried 2 pairs of Mavic and moved both on. Both of them were cut wrongly around the heel; one pair was too low and did not cup properly, another pair too aggressive and dug into the back of my ankle. A shame.
Old 09-19-2023, 07:44 PM

For reference I wear Altra's when I run as I like the wide forefoot.

I've been on Giro Factors for the past five years or so, alongside Shimano RC171s. The Factors are very good shoes, despite my preference for a wider forefoot, and heel retention is good - I found a short break-in period, and leaving the front strap "looser" worked perfectly for me. I think they may be stiffer than newer Giros, but I don't know - they're stiff enough for me. The old Shimano last is very good with plenty of room in toe box and a nice heel retention, and I like the footwrap upper. I found the Giro's just a little better, but the Shimanos are very good.

I experimented with the Bont Helix, and i think the closure system is problematic on that model for my foot. I prefer less pressure over the ball of the foot, and more over the ankle / mid-foot so getting the right heel / mid-foot and forefoot was impossible. I will probably try Vaypor S next year as Bont is much stiffer and feels more immediate - we're talking fine grades of difference here - than other shoes and I think the molding, once you figure it out (time, temperature, tools) works. I think Bont's also feel more expensive than other brands, in a hand-made kind of way; I know others feel differently.

I'm currently on Sidi Wire 2, which shouldn't fit, but somehow they do - very narrow heel, which I like, and stiffer than Shimano and Giro, in the plate anyway, with the upper similar and obviously nothing like Bont. These shoes took maybe 100 miles to kind of break-in, and are comfortable. The forefoot is not as narrow as it looks - there are a few more mm in front of my big/middle toe than in Shimano or Bont (Shimano also secretly has a kind of foot shape, at least their older stuff), but the width is just fine and better than Giro for me - indeed I don't runt he front "open" but snug it up pretty decently. The material in the upper flexes quite a bit (in a good way).

I am not convinced that the BOA / Techno rotary dial closure systems are appropriate for the mid and forefoot, however, overall. I think they look nicer than the ratchet systems around the ankle, although functionally are no better really, but in the forefoot and mid-foot, I think velcro is superior to lace-type closures as the area of pressure is much larger and good velcro doesn't slip. It's not adjustable mid-ride however.

I wear a 46 in Giro, Shimano and Sidi, and a 46.5 in Bont, prefer a right heel and some room in the forefoot, and a stiffer shoe. I weigh >200lbs.

None of these shoes were an impediment to my riding, and indeed I can say the same looking back into the distant past with a pair of Louis Garneau Ergo Air (nylon sole) shoes - those worked well, too, although weren't the stiffest.

Out of the above, I think Sidi and Bont are the best, but as with much in cycling, the statement is mostly aesthetic. The Bonts might - might - perform better, but among the traditional shoes, performance is the same.

Last edited by cgates66; 09-19-2023 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:54 AM

Sidi. Currently riding Wire II. Stiff, secure, comfy, and as well made and durable as they come.
Old 09-20-2023, 12:23 PM

S works torch

I hate to admit, but specialized as evil as they may be as a company is hard to beat. They amass huge amounts of data with their fit programs and modify their products to adapt. They apparently decided after gathering data on tens of thousands of peoples feet that shoes should be 4mm wider. They implemented that in the new s works torch.

I’ve had several Sidi shoes, several Giro empire ACC, Nike back in the day but I’ll say the S works torch beats them all.

I liked the Giro though they were tight. Fit was good and great power transfer. Didn’t mind laces except they kept breaking, which was annoying.

Sidi always great and durable. Their retention system is less slick than BOA.

The S Works torch has two boas. No Velcro to get nasty. They have big toe box. Power transfer is great. They are eminently comfortable. No hot spots.

I would 100% buy again

Jon
Old 09-20-2023, 12:28 PM

With few exceptions specialized insoles always make their way into my cycling shoes. It is the last piece of the equation plus lakes for a happy foot for me.
Old 09-20-2023, 12:32 PM

For anyone in the Uk I can say Boardman carbon soles are a great shoe at a fantastic price
Old 09-20-2023, 12:51 PM

I've used one single pair of Sidi's for all of my riding (road, mountain, gravel) for over a decade. Maybe almost two decades. I can't remember. The velcro is wearing out, but otherwise I just can't kill them.

I guess they're good enough, eh?
Old 09-21-2023, 03:45 PM

I ordered a pair of shoes that they showed were in stock and after 6 days I emailed to see if they had been shipped because they claim they try and ship them out in 2 days. they are coming from the factory in China and that usually takes at least 14 business days.

Last edited by jadmt; 09-27-2023 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-21-2023, 04:26 PM

Giro Imperial and before that it was their Techlace Prolight. Stupid light.. I still buy every new pro light I see on eBay for the "future"
Old 09-21-2023, 04:37 PM

My favorites were the wood sole Duegi's from the early 80's, best fitting shoe I ever had. Now wearing Sidi and they are almost as comfortable.
Old 09-27-2023, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_in_pa View Post
Lake has a size guide that actually works. Give it a try before you order. I have the cx1 carbon and couldn’t be happier. They are the most comfortable cycling shoes I’ve ever owned.

-Bob
thanks I just put 40 miles on my new pair of cx1's on their maiden voyage and they are very comfortable.