Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 09:38 AM

If I did not live and work in Manhattan I would not come in now. Central Park does have a lower volume of cyclists recently but you only need one pedestrian to step in front of your path and going to an ER is not something you want these days. I literally stay at home unless i need to go to work (essential worker) get food, or care for a family member. I hope all stay healthy.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
If I did not live and work in Manhattan I would not come in now. Central Park does have a lower volume of cyclists recently but you only need one pedestrian to step in front of your path and going to an ER is not something you want these days. I literally stay at home unless i need to go to work (essential worker) get food, or care for a family member. I hope all stay healthy.
Not to mention that Central Park is also where patient treatment camps are being setup to deal with the hospital overflow. Yeah, stay home if you can and if you MUST go outside best not to be in NYC which HAS to allocate all available resources to those who need it most.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I know from reading several of your posts that your an ardent hiker. Maybe change the locale. Go on urban expeditions, if possible. Become a flaneur. I love it. Almost as much as cycling. The people watching is fantastic.
Flaneur. Interesting. Brings up a couple of questions...

Is there a Garmin watch specific to flaneuring?

You know, one that updates your GPS position every 45 minutes?

Provides an audible warning...or more appropriately, a vibration, if your heart rate exceeds 55 bpm?

Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-01-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Just don't be caught out after dark...

I Am Legend is a surprisingly good novel, for anyone who hasn't read it. Quite a view into the mind of the 1950s suburban male, if you want to read it that way.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:41 AM

Incidentally, for those of us who lived in the big apple thru 9/11 and Hurricane Sandy, there was nothing so powerful as the show of humanity, support and care for one's fellow man, woman and child that I experienced.

Again, godspeed to all in staying healthy and safe, and that mankind figures out a way to beat this thing into oblivion.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Incidentally, for those of us who lived in the big apple thru 9/11 and Hurricane Sandy, there was nothing so powerful as the show of humanity, support and care for one's fellow man, woman and child that I experienced.

Again, godspeed to all in staying healthy and safe, and that mankind figures out a way to beat this thing into oblivion.
x100

One of my favorite stories was the daughter of a friend who after Sandy was participating in the relay/text message program to deliver groceries to seniors in high rises where the elevators weren't working.

A perfect use of young legs and tech savvy
Old 04-01-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Flaneur. Interesting. Brings up a couple of questions...

Is there a Garmin watch specific to flaneuring?

You know, one that updates your GPS position every 45 minutes?

Provides an audible warning...or more appropriately, a vibration, if your heart rate exceeds 55 bpm?

The accoutrements Flaneurs favor are cappuccinos, not Garmins.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post

Also have to add in the blackout of 2003, when people were literally helping each other traverse across bridges and through tunnels, lending phones to strangers to call loved ones, and handing out supplies for those in need during the warm summer day.

People in NYC are almost always tough but with a heart of gold. Basically a city of Brian Dennehys, Danny Glovers, Toshiro Mifunes and Danny Trejos.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
The accoutrements Flaneurs favor are cappuccinos, not Garmins.
I'm in!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-01-2020, 02:33 PM

Flaneurs....

Learned me a new term today. Awesome!
Old 04-01-2020, 04:12 PM

Yeah not to beat a dead horse here but I don't know why you'd want to into New York to go ride Central Park right now. Fairfield County has some pretty awesome cycling if you know where to look.

Side note I didn't realize how many people from Fairfield County there are here on PL. Perhaps it's time to start another thread for when group rides come back in style!
Old 04-01-2020, 09:10 PM

They're keeping the Times Square billboards lit up despite the area being almost completely empty.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/b...#link-5274ec84

Quote:
Despite complaints that the displays were wasting electricity to show ads to nearly empty streets, the Times Square Advertising Coalition said in an email that there was “no plan on darkening the signs,” adding that “the bright lights of Broadway reflect the vibrancy of N.Y.C. that continues on even during our darkest days.”
Old 04-01-2020, 10:09 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
They're keeping the Times Square billboards lit up despite the area being almost completely empty.
yeah i really wish they would turn those off right now, it's just a huge waste of electricity and kind of tone deaf. who exactly are you advertising to?
Old 04-02-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
yeah i really wish they would turn those off right now, it's just a huge waste of electricity and kind of tone deaf. who exactly are you advertising to?

Well, all of us just saw that picture, so.....
Old 04-02-2020, 08:15 AM
slower than you

And that guy enjoying a nice bike ride all alone in what is usually a very busy crossroads.