Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
The City of Austin recently constructed a segregated bike lane on a popular route in North Central Austin called Shoal Creek. It's an abomination. Not only did it take away vehicle capacity and create extensive back-ups during rush hour (not actually too bad at the moment with our current SIP order), but it also created an extremely chaotic, confusing, and hazardous bike lane for cyclists. Runners/walkers in the lanes, dirt/gravel/glass/debris, trash cans, parked cars, opposing riders that don't understand how to handle oncoming riders headed toward them in close proximity, and concrete turtles have all conspired to create the most intimidating and challenging cycling environment that I've ever ridden in. Unfortunately, it's destroyed what was one of the best, most loved inner-city routes in Austin.

Texbike
Shoal Creek is a mess now. This iteration of safety is even worse that the last attempt 15 years ago.

In addition to the poorly thought out design, they've not repaired road. Now it's more difficult to dodge the bumps, cracks and holes because I'm locked in by the curb and the massive Bots Dots. And, don't get me started on the narrow passage way at the intersections that are misaligned.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:25 AM

I have a marked bike lane literally terminate in front of my house, onward to the light at a corner 2 blocks away it's just sharrows markings.

It is hilarious sitting on the front porch in the summer with a beer and just watch the cars AND the bikes, no one knows what to do. I can't imagine how much worse it would be if was a segregated lane.

To answer the OP, are segregated lanes safer? I vote rarely.