Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2020, 03:49 PM

I'm not trying to be provocative but I have never ever heard of this notion of dry thread torque spec. Granted I'm in sales not really a wrench, but it flies in the face of everything I've ever known or been taught.

Am I alone and just clueless?
Old 03-31-2020, 06:17 PM
Vendor

I looked at a few different Thomson instructions that would've come with the stems, posts and collars. On the bottom is a revision number.

For seatposts: REV #SP5-2003, SP5-2010. Those do not state to grease bolts. The new manual that is online, that DOES state to grease threads only but does not have a REV#. So I am not sure when they switched it.

For stems: REV #SM2-2001, SM2-2007. Theos do not state to grease threads. The new manual that's online DOES state to grease threads. But there isn't a REV# on that manual so I don't know when they switched it.

For the heck of it, I looked at some other instruction manuals. ENVE does not list to grease the bolts IN the instructions or the instructions online. BUT, they mention it in the video on youtube for the seatpost. BUT, that's on the video from 2013. The one from 2016 does not show or specify grease be used. Same with the instructions for the 2016(current) post instructions I looked at.

Also, in the instructions online or hardcopy do not specify grease on the stem bolts. And they don't show it or specify grease in the videos, even the current one from 2018.

PRO does not specify grease for stems and seatposts in videos or the hardcopy or online instructions.

I was looking for some others but I just threw out a bunch of them last week. I will see what other ones I can find. But it's not out of the norm to have dry bolts as shown in videos and instructions as I mentioned.

Last edited by Velocipede; 03-31-2020 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:47 AM

As a follow-up to my post where I have stripped out the hex socket a handful of times on the 3mm hex bolts. After the first one and I had to drill it out I’ve been hyper vigilant. I carefully checked the fitting of the hex bit before tightening by switching from one hex bit to another until I got the snuggest fit. Interesting enough, the bit that came with my Silca T-Ratchet was the loosest with the bit that came with my Fix-It-Stixs the best. I still rounded over the inside. I may be wrong, but I’ve come to the conclusion that the bolts Thomson uses are just too soft.

And again, I was told - at Barnett’s - that torque values where determined with grease on the treads. But seems like there’s no clear cut rule as with headsets. I believe Cane Creek says grease ‘em up while Chris King says press ‘em in dry.

While on the subject of stems.... who else makes a 0 rise stem?
Old 04-01-2020, 09:13 AM

I've also has a Thomson face place crack. Thankfully I found it while loading the bike in the car prior to a ride; otherwise, it could have been ugly.

Why do so many aluminum Thomson products fail? Design? Construction? Materials? I don't get it.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:52 AM

I back in the day, I would grease the handle bar clamp bolt on the quill stems so the bolt would not creak or squeak
That practice carried over to applying grease to the face plate bolts
Old 04-01-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercheung View Post
I am trying out their seatpost collar mostly as I like the sculptural shaped look of the thing! But that whole "2.8 N-M or else you will crush the seatpost" warning on the instructions is driving me nuts. 1st ride out I was overly gentle with the bolt so the post slipped...I just made it "hand tight and firm-ish" on w/ the allen key this time so we'll see...
Initially I had a Thomson seatpost clamp on my Crumpton. It is a low torque spec but for me (w Enve post) worked just fine. The only reason why I'm not using one is.....I wanted Campy's seatpost clamp.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:15 AM
Vendor

I found some other instruction manuals(they are in the parts packaging). FSA does specify greasing the bolts for the stem faceplate, but NOT the fork steerer clamp bolts. For the the seatposts, the very last line says to put a light layer of grease on the post bolts.

If I were Joe Bike Guy, I would read these as Yes for stem faceplate, No for stem steerer clamp bolts. Yes for seatpost bolts.

I think that's where things are getting lost. I have paperwork from Thomson over the years saying no but now they say yes. Back in the day when I worked for them, we told everyone no. But again, now it's a yes.

You have some companies with a yes in a 7yr old video but nothing about it in a 2yr old video. And none of the paperwork says Yes. Or in the case of FSA, Yes for 4 front bolts but not the back 2?
Old 04-01-2020, 10:27 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Yes, X4.
Ouch.....Thomson X2 on my Legend...no problems in 15 yrs and counting....will keep an eye on it though.

Cheers.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:31 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
Why do so many aluminum Thomson products fail? Design? Construction? Materials? I don't get it.
Machined part in aluminum with a finish cut that is rough enough to promote fatigue cracks. Everything should be a bit heavier, but we're all weight weenies. Weirdly, the hot stamped cheap parts are more fatigue resistant, in general. But they are also heavier.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:53 PM

My thomson x2 does make some noises, but its not cracked. Didnt know this was a common problem with their stems.