Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2020, 06:25 PM

Smile

Went to 5 shops shopping for the cleats.. got a 3 yrs supply now.. though some are v1 not v2.. Doesn't really matter as I use the Kovers with the cleats and only the spring clips wear out..... May have to bring some beer so can maybe ask if I can look at some shop's parts bin if they have some spare spring clips if I want more.........

Last edited by lemondvictoire; 03-10-2020 at 06:26 PM. Reason: x
Old 03-11-2020, 05:51 AM

I'm jealous, up here in the boonies it would take me a week to drive to 5 shops alone much less 5 shops that sell Speedplay...
Old 03-12-2020, 03:50 PM

Found 1 more set of V1 cleats seller took pic of back side of package (bottom pic)and listed as only Speedplay Pedal Systems NEW OLD STOCK NEW IN PACKAGE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3146.jpg (92.4 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3145.jpg (97.3 KB, 304 views)

Last edited by lemondvictoire; 03-12-2020 at 03:52 PM. Reason: x
Old 03-12-2020, 05:21 PM

I'm hoping that a Chinese company starts making knock offs. The x model has been in production so long that a patent should no longer apply. I can make it through this season with no problem.

If no alternatives appear, I'll try zeros again. I couldn't get them to work with my custom D2 shoes in 2018.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:55 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

I have been in contact with Wahoo Support. This is what they told me yesterday ( there is hope):
-----------------------------------
Hi Bob,

After looking into this a little more on your behalf, I have discovered that we do not have any X-Cleats currently available. We are anticipating X-Cleats being available once again in late Spring. Please let me know if you have any additional questions/concerns.

Best regards,

John
-----------------------------------
Old 03-12-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondvictoire View Post
Went to 5 shops shopping for the cleats.. got a 3 yrs supply now..
how many sets did you get?! i get 3-4 years from a set of X cleats.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:31 PM

I just happened to check back on this thread and realized I hadn't checked Ebay for X cleats in a couple days. Typed in Speedplay X cleats, new listings and up popped a new, unopened set for $39.99 shipped priority mail. Almost fell out of my chair trying to log in and snatch them up quick before someone else stumbled on them. Sweet! So now I'm good to go for the summer since I only have one pair of good cycling shoes, old Carnac Quartz's that are indestructable.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:01 AM

Switched over to Frogs almost 10 years ago, haven’t been using the X series since then... found these in my parts box.

PM me if you’re in need.

I’ve also got a couple other pair that have more use. I did not use café covers, so in spite of abraded plates the springs are probably still OK.

Last edited by thwart; 04-05-2020 at 08:19 AM. Reason: The cleats are sold.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
how many sets did you get?! i get 3-4 years from a set of X cleats.
Have 4 sets now and cleats on 2 pr of shoes are 1/2 worn.... I generally ride 8-10K a year.. use approx 1.5 sets a yr.. as shorter rides with lots of stop and go tend to wear them out quicker...

Last edited by lemondvictoire; 03-13-2020 at 06:29 PM. Reason: x
Old 04-01-2020, 09:46 AM

Called around to a few local shops and was able to purchase the last set of Frog cleats the store I use the most had in-stock. They also said they have been discontinued and have no idea of Wahoo will make them going forward. Also got a pair of Stainless Steel Frog pedals (and cleats) via Merlin a few weeks ago.

I hope these are not gone forever.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:03 PM

Response from Wahoo support:

"Thank you for reaching out to us with your questions. Following Speedplay's acquisition by Wahoo Fitness, there will be limited product availability while Speedplay is integrated into into our our own production and distribution. Over the next several months we will have more product availability updates, we appreciate your patience. There hasn't been any announcements yet regarding what products will be continued with or no longer produced. What I can share with you is that we should have some Frog cleats available to our retailers and distributors somewhere in the next 8-10 weeks. I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any additional questions."
Old 04-04-2020, 08:59 PM
Randomhead

I managed to wear out a set of X cleats when I was using them to ride gravel, but since I went over to SPD for that, my cleats are lasting quite some time. It sure seems like the spring is what wears out, but it's not available by itself.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:10 AM

The v2 springs seem to not hold up nearly as well as the older style. In over 20yrs, I never had a spring break but with the v2s I had them break at the bend of the spring. Concerns me as to how long I can hold out.
Ive been on the x series since the 90s and switching over the entire fleet would be daunting. Not to mention having to learn a new pedal

Ryun
Old 04-05-2020, 02:14 PM

Isn't there some sort of legal requirement that a company can't discontinue replacement parts (for some period of time anyway) that are required for the continuing function of the primary product? New X-series pedals were being sold up until pretty recently, right?

Last edited by RoosterCogset; 04-05-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I'm hoping that a Chinese company starts making knock offs. The x model has been in production so long that a patent should no longer apply. I can make it through this season with no problem.

If no alternatives appear, I'll try zeros again. I couldn't get them to work with my custom D2 shoes in 2018.
What was the issue with you D2 shoes? They should work with the three-hole adapters. I used Speedplays for years with Don’s shoes. I preferred the Zeros to Xs because the metal retention clips in the cleats didn’t wear as quickly, and I prefer less float. But both work fine. You just cannot overtighten the screws holding the pedal to the shoe.