Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
really-really great guy, a good brother and friend...thoughts to his wife...rest in peace my friend
Sincere condolences, wallyman. May his memory be a blessing.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:37 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Well said. The current drive to return to the gilded age and feudalism will not end well; the pandemic will only exacerbate this. The wealth is there to help those in need, however, redistributing the wealth is going to be interesting. Maybe time to start looking back to the tax structure of the most prosperous time in US history (post war). I think most people would be shocked at what they find.
This is not the first time and it won't be the last time that a percentage of people have more money/status/whatever than others.

Instead of focusing on wealth distribution, focus on 'how do *I* get there too?' That's a MUCH better question.

My buddy J has an idea that may need looking in to further...

M
Old 04-01-2020, 07:38 PM

My sincere condolences, wallyman, I’m sure he was a good friend.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:42 PM
Administrator

awww man.

Another victim.

My kids still rock out to "Stacy's Mom"

RIP Adam.

Quote:
Fountains of Wayne frontman Adam Schlesinger dies from coronavirus complications at 52
Old 04-01-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
awww man.

Another victim.

My kids still rock out to "Stacy's Mom"

RIP Adam.

Man. I've got a lot of mid-20s nostalgia for FoW.

Damn.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:28 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss, Wallyman.

I hope not, but I think a lot of us are going to be in this spot over the next months.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStonebarger View Post
"Since he's just guessing, I think it's better to be on the safe side and assume that it can spread through the air as well."

You're worried that Price's advice is just "opinion?" The Atlantic piece you shared is fine, but it labors the difference between droplets and aerosol, when Price's advice, and that of the CDC (until 3...2...1...), took that as a given.

Just my opinion, but I've been watching patients in their masks for a while now, and I worry about them. Properly used maybe a mask would help. A) We're not using them properly, and B) if they give anyone a false sense of security (while they wipe their eyes, nose, and mouth with infested hands) they will only hurt.

I worry that the sudden interest in masks is that it seems an easy step to take. Find a cheap (ostensibly one-time-use) mask that we can contaminate and use forever and call it good. That's a lot easier than washing our hands fastidiously and getting over constantly touching our faces.
Covid-19 is a new virus and there are many things about it that the CDC doesn't yet know. Perhaps it behaves somewhat like measles, which according to the CDC "can remain infectious in the air for up to two hours after an infected person leaves an area." Experts can be wrong. They were also saying at first that young people with no underlying conditions weren't at risk, and we now know that's not true.

After watching a few minutes of the video, I'd say that Dr. Price seems awfully cocksure while giving potentially dangerous advice to his family and friends. I don't see what makes him an expert on how the virus is transmitted. Of course, everyone agrees that it's a good idea to wash your hands and not touch your face.

I worked four hours today in a food pantry where maintaining a six-foot distance from others at all times was impossible. I wore gloves, and never touched my face, but wearing a mask made me feel more assured that I wasn't breathing in airborne virus particles.

Last edited by fiamme red; 04-01-2020 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
The daisies didn't get the social distancing memo, but it sure felt good to be out standing in an open field.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I love this photo Kirk buddy
Old 04-01-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
wait, so you're saying you've been working in an office setting up to this point?

wow. amazing how different we are state to state. i guess i just assumed that most everyone who was in the tech type field was NOT in the office at this point.

shows what i know.
Still plugging away in the office, designing and detailing. Our governor has, to this point, staunchly refused to consider a stay at home order.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Was eye-rolling at Amazon, not you.

As in.. "I'm sure Amazon is altruistically selling all ppe and disinfectant to the healthcare sector at cost and not directing sales to them simply because the margins are higher.." /s

I don't trust the company or its leader, that's all.

But I do like my Fire Stick, Echo speaker, and Whole Foods bran flakes.
cool.. sorry I misunderstood
and agree with you 110% about Amazon.. I've given them too much money lately because it's easy to order things and not have to go to the store. Straight to the garage for decon.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Dr. Price's conclusions were summarized in another thread: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=249465. I'm not about to spend an hour watching his video. Does he have any studies that show that Covid-19 is not airborne? Of course not, it's just his opinion.

I posted this link in that thread: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-masks/609235/.
there has been no peer review by anyone on that study.... thus it's not science by definition. Airborne is a different classification then droplet by the CDC and other organizations like it. SARS-CoV2 is droplet not airbourne. Do what you like as always( I dont blame anyone) but it is what it is.

Last edited by Spdntrxi; 04-01-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Sorry to hear of your loss, Wallyman.
Yes, wallymann. Sincere condolences to you as his friend and of course his wife (and I pray they did not have children).

Quote:
I hope not, but I think a lot of us are going to be in this spot over the next months.
I also echo this fear, sadly.

Believe me I fully understand the need to share grief and seek solace for one's loss, especially of a family member or close friend. On the other hand it could very tough on many of us if these pages begin to comprise RIP after RIP, whether referring to family, friends, or public figures.

I understand why the Covid-19 photo thread was protested I assume and then deleted; images of suffering and death are very hard to stomach even if accompanied by even more images of hope and strength I guess.

However, by the same token then I sincerely hope that the discussion threads do not also create similar anxiety, stress, even grief. These are such awful times in that aspect, and many of us are looking for as much support and solace as we can find, and need every bit of positivity.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
Yes, wallymann. Sincere condolences to you as his friend and of course his wife (and I pray they did not have children).

I also echo this fear, sadly.

Believe me I fully understand the need to share grief and seek solace for one's loss, especially of a family member or close friend. On the other hand it could very tough on many of us if these pages begin to comprise RIP after RIP, whether referring to family, friends, or public figures.

I understand why the Covid-19 photo thread was protested I assume and then deleted; images of suffering and death are very hard to stomach even if accompanied by even more images of hope and strength I guess.

However, by the same token then I sincerely hope that the discussion threads do not also create similar anxiety, stress, even grief. These are such awful times in that aspect, and many of us are looking for as much support and solace as we can find, and need every bit of positivity.
If we are looking for positivity, I do have to say I've taken quite a bit of inspiration from some people in my sphere who have really stepped up in the face of this challenge. My daughters' school has been amazingly proactive and accessible while getting online learning set up. I couldn't be more impressed. Some of my business leadership has also stepped up in an uncertain time to make sure that our work and people are protected for the next couple of months. My neighborhood has been incredibly supportive of each other.

I'm sure many of us have stories like this. It's not going to be easy, but together (6 feet apart), we can get through this.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
If we are looking for positivity, I do have to say I've taken quite a bit of inspiration from some people in my sphere who have really stepped up in the face of this challenge. My daughters' school has been amazingly proactive and accessible while getting online learning set up. I couldn't be more impressed. Some of my business leadership has also stepped up in an uncertain time to make sure that our work and people are protected for the next couple of months. My neighborhood has been incredibly supportive of each other.

I'm sure many of us have stories like this.
I completely agree regarding that community aspect of course, as that is all very positive especially if one has those resources at hand.

However, that is not at all the point I was trying to make about a possible increase in the posting of RIPs here then very negatively affecting members reading this and other threads.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:17 PM

Best be careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
there has been no peer review by anyone on that study.... thus it's not science by definition. Airborne is a different classification then droplet by the CDC and other organizations like it. SARS-CoV2 is droplet not airbourne. Do what you like as always( I dont blame anyone) but it is what it is.
the science, as you say, is NOT there yet. The PRIMARY method of spread may not be the only method--the latest and only article I have seen on AIR study shows MORE study needed:

"Under AIIR conditions, SARS-CoV-2 respiratory particles can be detected at sizes 1-4 μm and >4 μm in diameter in the air which warrants further studies".

AIIR= airborne infection isolation room. In this study they only noted presence, not infectivity of the particles sampled (air or surface)

other results:
"56.7% of the rooms had at least one environmental surface contaminated, with 18.5% of the toilet seats and toilet flush button being contaminated. High touch surface contamination was shown in ten (66.7%) out of 15 patients in the first week of illness, and three (20%) beyond the first week of illness (p = 0.010)."

So many places ae struggling to just TREAT, let alone properly study, but the resources will be marshalled soon.
Closed Thread