Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 04:17 PM

OT: Eagle cam

There is an eagle cam in SW FL that is worth taking a look at right now. There is a chick that just hatched, and a second egg where the chick is almost hatched. We cast it to our tv and let it run during the day. Today, we saw one of the parents bring a fish to the nest and saw the chick being fed a few times. Meanwhile, the other chick is still trying to hatch.

I love this stuff.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:32 PM

It is fun until the peer competition starts. I remember a few year’s ago reading an article about nest watchers getting very upset with an owl nest in Texas and with an eagle nest in the Midwest. Because of the rain in Texas, the parents were having a hard time feeding the baby owls and they were dying. Owls are optimistic breeders and have usually quite a few babies and it is expected that many will not make it. Since this was a research project on wild animals, no intervention was the policy and what the project manager decided to do was to cut the video feed. Same happened with an eagle nest where the older chick was very dominant and basically did not allow the younger one to feed and the people were asking for intervention.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:26 PM

I remember when an eagle brought a cat to a nest. Yes, people have to expect nature to get ugly. My wife can't watch nature shows where animals kill other animals. Oh well.

I still love it.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:59 PM

There are a lot of eagles near here on the Susquehenna River near Conowingo Dam. Two weeks ago, there was an eagle on a big dead tree behind our house. I thing he was feeding on a dead squirrel. We saw him fly off with it.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:59 AM

Very cool. Looked like second baby bird was hatching earlier today...

Amazing how long it takes for the hatchling to get out.

Oh, and I'm curious about the person working the camera joystick. Is this his/her full time job? Working from home? Does the gig pay well?
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 04-02-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:20 PM
coffee consumer

half of a dead fish!
Old 04-02-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Oh, and I'm curious about the person working the camera joystick. Is this his/her full time job? Working from home? Does the gig pay well?
I know with the bear cams that it's a coveted volunteer job that multiple people share.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr View Post
half of a dead fish!

Yea, that little baby eagle was being fed sushi today!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-02-2020, 05:58 PM

Why is this even on a bike forum? The exploitation of wildlife for your personal entertainment is just tacky.
Mods, can we get this closed? I find it offensive. Don't make me stomp my feet and cause a scene.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:31 PM

Stomp your feet and don't click on this topic. Problem solved. My guess is it was posted because alot of us who ride do so to enjoy mother nature and all she has to offer. I fail to see how this is exploitation. I seriously doubt this cam was installed by Disney World. Relax. There are far greater things going on in the world right now to concern yourself with.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesteel View Post
Why is this even on a bike forum? The exploitation of wildlife for your personal entertainment is just tacky.
Mods, can we get this closed? I find it offensive. Don't make me stomp my feet and cause a scene.
I believe you left the /sarcasm tag off at the end of your post.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Exploitation? This isn't a zoo, it's a camera eavesdropping on wildlife without interference from us. And as a matter of fact, this kind of observation often stimulates and encourages people to get more involved in conservation issues which helps animal populations grow and be sustained. Sorry, I think you're off base.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
YGBSM, assuming that you're serious
Old 04-02-2020, 08:05 PM

So cool! I needed that. Thanks for posting!
Old 04-02-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
There is an eagle cam in SW FL that is worth taking a look at right now. There is a chick that just hatched, and a second egg where the chick is almost hatched. We cast it to our tv and let it run during the day. Today, we saw one of the parents bring a fish to the nest and saw the chick being fed a few times. Meanwhile, the other chick is still trying to hatch.

I love this stuff.
Good thing I finally clicked on this thread, as I initially thought "Eagle cam" referred to a nanny cam or a door cam of some sort.

I like birds, so this is definitely nice. People mentioned some rather gruesome stuff that could occur, and while I think a few may have hinted at this, I don't think anyone has mentioned the possibility of sibling-on-sibling violence, which include cannibalism. I know that certain raptors do this, but perhaps not eagles