Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2020, 04:06 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Try the keen utility line.
This. Wide widths available. Safety toes in materials other than steel. A lot of non-boot options.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:21 PM

I was hard core Red Wing but as I got older, I found the wide toe box of Keens to fit me better. Most of the time, I'm not in safety toe boots, they stay under my desk. I'm an engineering manager and typically do 10K steps a day, so glad I don't have to wear steel toe all the time. My non-safety toe shoes are also Keens.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:21 PM

https://indestructibleshoes.com/

I was in a plant recently that required safety toes and I wasn't expecting to go on the floor so did not bring any. They had these in the loaner locker and I thought they looked good. Ended up with a standard wolverine hiker in my size but a lot of the workers had the athletic-looking indestructible and as the topic came up everyone liked them for lightness and comfort. I might get some if I can find a place to try before I buy.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
I’ll take a look at what red wing has to offer as well.

I have a pair of Red Wings (lucky they make ‘em for little feet) for when I’m on job sites otherwise I’m in fancy heels and boots...and now it’s slippers all day everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2020, 06:36 PM

I'm in a light industrial, medical device manufacturer and we recently needed safety shoes on the production floor. I have a pair of Rockport slip ons with a composite toe instead of steel...which was acceptable where I work. Many are wearing sneaker type shoes with composite toe protection. If you are visiting other facilities, this may not be an option. Something to look into. Mine are actually on the casual dress side similar to my Clarke's I used to wear.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:39 PM

Danner offers some safety toe shoes with hiking walking styling.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:49 PM

there are plenty of safety toe dress/casual shoes made for carpet walkers that need to do site visits, step onto the production floor, etc.

i also drive a small car with a MT, i'd just keep a pair of slip on sneakers or something and drive with those, and change shoes at the facility. i wear danskos at work, cannot drive stick wearing those.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScot View Post
https://indestructibleshoes.com/

I was in a plant recently that required safety toes and I wasn't expecting to go on the floor so did not bring any. They had these in the loaner locker and I thought they looked good. Ended up with a standard wolverine hiker in my size but a lot of the workers had the athletic-looking indestructible and as the topic came up everyone liked them for lightness and comfort. I might get some if I can find a place to try before I buy.
Hmmmm some of those are pretty good looking!
Old 03-31-2020, 08:54 AM

Another vote for Keens. I've got a pair in a wide that is a compositie material that is shock/electrical resistant. Much lighter than a pair of steel toed stuff and no issues driving in them (although these days I drive an auto and haven't had a manual car since 2014 but I don't feel these wouldn't affect actuating the clutch and still drivable). Hiking shoe style (not boot) and I can wear them all day comfortably (have done so on casual Fridays at work in the winter when it's colder otherwise my feet get too hot easily in the summer and if I had the choice I'd just wear casual sneakers or running shoes instead).
Old 03-31-2020, 09:16 AM

Yet another proponent of Keens, I like the low top light hiker style. Relatively light weight, wide enough for my EEE flippers, and durable. I have a winter waterproof pair and a summer mesh pair. Don’t plan on comfort from their insole, however. I use my own foot beds and it’s a significant improvement. They have decent pricing and lots of styles, including more refined than what I wear.

I’m also a huge fan of their flip-flops with the big toe caps. I’ve worn them for years and never stub a toe. These are my primary footwear, I do everything but chainsaw, ride bikes, or go to my part-time-job-that-requires-steel-toes in them.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:08 AM

I have a pair of Justin slip ones. Kinda cowboy boorish and maybe I do fit the stereotype, with jeans and a button down shirt. I even have an F250....anyway, we are consulting engineers and office casual is the minimum expectation. I wear an 11 EEE and driving my Mazda 3 6 speed manual without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2020, 10:27 AM

redbackboots.com. actually made in Australia I believe unlike Blundstone which has moved some offshore. thorogood also sworn by every union ironworker I know, probably overkill.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:52 PM

Reebok Skate Shoes

These might work with your skinny jeans...

https://workboots.com/reebok-soyay-s...605/0,0,3820/1

Lots of other options on this site as well.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:35 AM

Red Wing

I'm pretty happy with my Red Wing low top hikers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2261.jpg (110.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 04-01-2020, 02:34 PM
coffee consumer

working in the automotive industry, our folks in assembly are on their feet all day, moving around. the truck that comes around has lots of steel toe running shoes from New Balance and many others...you wouldn't know they were steel toes until some asshat does the stomp test.

if in some sort of outdoor/construction, I'd stick with boots for ankle protection tho. If you're just wearing them occasionally, why not just keep an old pair of sneakers in the truck to drive with?