Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2024, 07:04 AM

Campy shift cable differences

I had originally set up my 12s group with these darker pewter colored shift cables that were given to me as part of the group (cables were new but were part of a second hand group). I recently swapped the shifting cables to new ones I bought and noticed the new campy ones were a shinier silver.

I can’t seem to find any info on this. They both work fine. Any idea what the differences are? I assume they’re all genuine campy parts.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:11 AM

the darker cables are the updated cables when 12s/13s was released, aside from the coating, size and head type is exactly the same. If your cable runs are smooth, shouldn't make a difference between the two.
Old 04-08-2024, 06:06 PM

Ah I see.

I don't even know where I could find the 12/13s versions if I wanted. Most local shops seem to only carry generic and the site I ordered the genuine Campy cables from just said they were shift but they turned out silver.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:51 AM

Maximum Smoothness inner cable is grey (Ultra-Shift is silver) and the housing is more flexible for the 12 speed shifting systems.

Maximum Smoothness Cable Set - CG-FRD700 is very expensive, but maybe the Jagwire Elite STS-EL or Jagwire Pro-Slick is the solution?
Old 04-09-2024, 07:18 AM

I hate to say it, but the ridiculously named OE “Maximum Smoothness” cables are superior to any cable I’ve seen in 20+ years of working on bikes professionally.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:47 PM

Paying around $100 usd for some cables and housing is actually pretty crazy
Old 04-09-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
I hate to say it, but the ridiculously named OE “Maximum Smoothness” cables are superior to any cable I’ve seen in 20+ years of working on bikes professionally.
It works great and for a long time. Reminds me of the original Gore cables that a ran years ago.

I get them from Condor for $40.

https://www.condorcycles.com/product...31645441851530

For the front and extra outer, I buy the outer maximum smoothness cable from Condor ($11) and use a regular Campagnolo gear cable ($5).
Old 04-09-2024, 07:50 PM

I managed to find the maximum smoothness housing sold by the foot at Condor but it's insane that you can only buy the inners as part of a kit.

The irony is I have the max smooth inners but the rear shift cable was too short to be re-used (I guess I can use it in the front) but now I need a new inner.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:19 AM

Say you have 12s Campy and your bike has old style external routing. Do you even need the Maximum Smoothness cables?
Old 04-11-2024, 07:25 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
Say you have 12s Campy and your bike has old style external routing. Do you even need the Maximum Smoothness cables?
No..the 'best' solution for full length housing or 'stopped' housing, IMHO, is 5mm der housing and 1.1mm slick stainless Jagwire inner wires...Metal/brass ferrules. ANY shifter system including the 's' brands.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattscq View Post
I managed to find the maximum smoothness housing sold by the foot at Condor but it's insane that you can only buy the inners as part of a kit.

The irony is I have the max smooth inners but the rear shift cable was too short to be re-used (I guess I can use it in the front) but now I need a new inner.
Buy the $40 kit for the cable and short outers. Buy the outers in length to complete everything. Total costs comes out OK.