Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2020, 08:57 PM

Bike helmets to minimize sunglasses fogging

Hi all. I am not happy with my sunglasses situation. I live in Missouri and they often fog. I use a Giro Aether and feel like the helmet rides too low on my forehead leading to cramping of the glasses, less airflow, and fogging. Do different helmets affect sunglasses fogging differently?

I am currently using Tifosi veloce photochromatic with readers. They are scratched so may also consider new glasses

Any thoughts appreciated!
Old 07-05-2020, 09:11 PM

Does that helmet have the ability to adjust the fit harness higher or lower? That might assist in getting the helmet to sit up higher?
Old 07-05-2020, 10:06 PM

It does and it seems like that may help!
Old 07-06-2020, 07:33 AM

Cap under the helmet?
Old 07-06-2020, 10:33 AM

Instead of focusing on new helmets, how about getting some new sunglasses with a decent anti-fog coating? I wear Julbos with Zebra photochromatic lenses that have anti-fog built in. When they do start to fog a bit, it quickly clears up (usually just pulling it forward on the nose slightly causes it to disappear within a few seconds).

I've tried some cheap anti-fogging sunglasses and safety glasses that were pretty much worthless (one was a dewalt). Not all anti-fog coatings are equal. Can't say enough good things about Julbo's though--became a convert after picking up my first cameleon lenses (now under Zebra line) during an REI sale.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:42 AM
That guy..

Another nice option would be the Oakley flight jackets. Thought the adjusting nose piece was gimmicky. But it does actually help air flow to minimize fogging. Without making it fit weird.

If you're looking at other glasses options.....
Old 07-06-2020, 10:44 AM

Something seems really wrong.. how fast are you riding when this is happening?

Is this related to wearing a mask for pandemic reasons?

I've always had to wear glasses (Rx) for riding... I've basically had 0 issues in temps from 0-100 degrees in all kinds of weather except for stopping in the middle of the trail MTBing or coming to a stop in the dead of winter with a balaclava + helmet cover. I have even worn ski goggles over my eyeglasses in winter riding without an issue. (And that is/was a huge issue actually skiing/boarding). Airflow over the glasses should be good bicycling and that should be the major difference, you shouldn't even need fancy coatings.

I would not blame the helmet here, I'd look at the glasses... the helmet alone shouldn't matter when lots of us can stay fog free even wearing balaclavas & full masks in the middle of winter.

If you're not wearing Rx glasses just experiment with different pairs and don't spend a lot of money on any of them cause their is very little in expensive non-Rx glasses to justify their costs. Even high end stuff with Rx quality lenses.. if they're not actually being ground with a prescription for you there's no justifying the cost as Rx glasses themselves are usually highway robbery. Probably a fit thing.

My guess here is the issues is the glasses don't actually fit correctly and are too close to your forehead or something and screwing with airflow. Big Oakley style glasses might actually be worse here than non-cycling type glasses because the giant lenses & frames on some of those glasses probably makes it easier to get a bad fit & block airflow.

I have Rudy Projects (Rydon) and they're so good they actually fog less even non-biking if I wear a mask right now and I'm just standing around. They're better than my Rx glasses which have every coating in the book.

Last edited by benb; 07-06-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:34 PM

Hi all. Thanks for all of the responses

Yes something is not right

I did adjust the harness of my helmet - no the front of the helmet sits higher on my forehead and the glasses are less cramped - more airflow and less fogging

The lenses also tend to sit on my cheekbones - so I tried to pinch the nose-piece to see if that would help the lenses sit higher off my cheekbones

That also seems to help

I am also looking at new glasses. I am wondering if I should look at Asian Fit glasses - evidently the bridge is narrower so the glasses sit higher

In the ideal world I could identify glasses with smaller lenses so lest crowding on forehead and on cheekbones

I have read good things about the Julbo's and the fact that many are made out of Trivex NXT

So - any thoughts about sunglasses with small lenses? I know that the downside is less coverage but I often take mine off because of fogging

To answer @benb's question - this is usually worst climbing - ie >10% gradient over 80 F over 50% humidity etc
Old 07-06-2020, 05:49 PM
That guy..

Hmm Oakley Asia fit is the real deal.
Keeps the frame away from your cheek and eye brow.

When I ordered my flight jackets. I specifically asked for Asia fit. But hard to tell whether it truely is. But with its ability to move the nose (read up on it on the site) it helps move the frame/lenses away from the face.

My casual riding frogskins are also Asia fit. Was coming from another pair of regular fit Oakley casuals. What a crazy diff.