Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2023, 04:00 PM

Smile

* where do you live? Los Angeles, CA
* explanation of your handle: it came to me in a dream
* explanation of your avatar: I don't have one yet.
* age (general or specific) 34
* occupation Micromobility
* favorite bike: Have my eyes on a Kirk Onesto Terraplane or a Sturdy 3D printed job
* what's in your stable? Ritte Satyr Ti, Crust Lightning Bolt Single Speed, Esker Hayduke gen 2.
* picture of yourself or your ride?

* How long have you been riding bikes: Since I was a young kid
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: I'm bad at lying.
* and, something fun: I have a black cat named Carl.
* How did you find the paceline Forum? Worked with Jaybe back at Rapha. Have been a registered lurker for several years now.

Last edited by baleendreams; 05-04-2023 at 04:40 PM. Reason: cleaning up image
Old 05-16-2023, 09:59 PM

* where do you live? Brooklyn, NY USA
* explanation of your handle: Initials and birth year. Boring.
* explanation of your avatar: I don't have one
* favorite bike: Anything ti, Colnago Master, Times
* what's in your stable? Crust Lightning Bolt, Esker Japhy Ti, Guerciotti
* picture of yourself or your ride?

* How long have you been riding bike: Off and on since I was a kid. More seriously in the last few years.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: I don't really tell big lies!
* and, something fun: I have to drive at least an hour each way from my home in Brooklyn to go mountain biking, but I still do it at least once a week when it's not freezing.
* How did you find the Paceline Forum?* From a bike shop owner in Seattle
Old 06-13-2023, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len J View Post
Annual tradition on some other boards....this has never been done on this board. Let's finad out about each other.

recommended format-

* real name, if you like John B.
* where do you live? Urbana, Illinois. Have family in Chicago and El Cerrito, Ca. Spend more time in Illinois and do travel to Ca to see my daughter and her family.
* explanation of your handle From my weight weenie day Juanmoretime Hence JMT
* explanation of your avatar Not using one here.
* age (general or specific) 66 and counting.
* occupation Retired. Worked upper management for a family owned business. It was great!
* favorite bike My Litespeed T3 disc
* what's in your stable? 2018 Litespeed T3 disc, Blue AC1, Borealis Crestone and a Sette CX1. Also have a 2000 FXST.
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 61 at the Hilly Hundred in Indiana sometime in the early 2000's.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? A little over 7,000 miles last year.
* picture of yourself or your ride? Search Harley and in the motorcycle thread is a picture of me from last year on my Harley.
*The way I live life. A bad day on the bike is still way better than a good day at work.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? What I told my wife on how one of bikes came into my possession.
* and, something fun. Riding from my Daughters in Oakland on my 59th birthday to the summit of Mt. Diablo and back while having symptoms of what would later be discovered at Stage 3 throat cancer, HPV. 87 mile ride with 10,000 of climbing!
* How did you find the paceline Forum?* A fellow weight weenie directed me here after I discovered there is more to life than light bike. A well built and spec'ed, and good fitting bike will always serve you well. I throw my leg over my bikes and they make me happy.

Len
Okay I should have copy and pasted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1834.jpeg (64.5 KB, 571 views)

Last edited by JMT3; 06-13-2023 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-14-2023, 03:31 PM

* real name, if you like Peter
* where do you live? Norwalk CT
* explanation of your handle I'm in Southern Fairfield County
* explanation of your avatar N/A
* age (general or specific) 65
* occupation Design Director
* favorite bike Haven't found it yet.
* what's in your stable? Giant TCR KOM. Actually trying to sell it to finance a Pegoretti
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? FAST. Aero tow behind my old team's van. "Training" LOL.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Zero. The best I can say is I'm recovering from a bad funk.
* picture of yourself or your ride? See below
* make up and answer at least one additional question. What do you want out of life? I want to retire to the Netherlands where the air is fresh, the roads are safe, the towns are designed by intelligent human beings, and the beer is cheap.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? Lied to myself about being OK to get fat and lazy. Turns out that's a very bad idea.
* and, something fun. I once lined up for a bike race alongside Steve Bauer and Jocques Boyer. Don't draw too much of a conclusion from that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shimano_Valkenburg_SM.jpg (151.9 KB, 556 views)
Old 06-14-2023, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaman View Post
* real name, if you like Peter
* where do you live? Norwalk CT
* explanation of your handle I'm in Southern Fairfield County
* explanation of your avatar N/A
* age (general or specific) 65
* occupation Design Director
* favorite bike Haven't found it yet.
* what's in your stable? Giant TCR KOM. Actually trying to sell it to finance a Pegoretti
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? FAST. Aero tow behind my old team's van. "Training" LOL.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Zero. The best I can say is I'm recovering from a bad funk.
* picture of yourself or your ride? See below
* make up and answer at least one additional question. What do you want out of life? I want to retire to the Netherlands where the air is fresh, the roads are safe, the towns are designed by intelligent human beings, and the beer is cheap.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? Lied to myself about being OK to get fat and lazy. Turns out that's a very bad idea.
* and, something fun. I once lined up for a bike race alongside Steve Bauer and Jocques Boyer. Don't draw too much of a conclusion from that.
Welcome! Im over in Orange, if you ever wanna ride together. We've got hills over here if thats your thing!
Old 06-17-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Welcome! Im over in Orange, if you ever wanna ride together. We've got hills over here if thats your thing!
Thanks for that FM. Not shortage of hills where I am, but I'm in a self-inflicted recovery. Going on some club rides to get my groove back on ... it's going to take a while. Rain check.
Old 06-15-2023, 01:45 PM

Getting back in the game

* real name, if you like Michael
* where do you live? Plano - North of Dallas
* explanation of your handle north texas dude
* explanation of your avatar plano cyclists
* age (general or specific) just hit 50.0
* occupation software architect
* favorite bike Giordana Capella
* what's in your stable? Giordana Capella, Giant OCR, Raleigh M80, Specialized Roubaix and a truck load of kids bikes for my 4 kids
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? cant remember…40 something. Arkansas hills in the mid 90s
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? zero riding for last 20 years. Just now getting back into cycling after a knee injury put a halt to running. 1000 miles since March
* picture of yourself or your ride? maybe later after I feel at home round here. Right now I’m just here to buy stuff
* make up and answer at least one additional question. What is your favorite cycling memory? Finally beating my buddy up devils den in NW AR after he got me into cycling and kicked my ass for years.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told I can last all night if you let me get in that
* and, something fun. Racing CMRA motorcycles in the 90s. Oak hill and Cresson made street racing boring. Wanted to name my first son Valentino but wife wasn’t having it
* How did you find the paceline Forum?*. popped up in a gear search
Old 06-16-2023, 04:43 PM

Hi, all - nice place you’ve got here. I’ll try not to annoy everyone with my newbie questions, but I make no promises.

* real name, if you like Mitch
* where do you live? South Tempe, AZ
* explanation of your handle Richard Feynman
* explanation of your avatar Richard Feynman
* age (general or specific) Somehow 53
* occupation Dork
* favorite bike The next one
* what's in your stable? Terra
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? I dunno - I scare easily
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Not enough
* picture of yourself or your ride? Current bike
* make up and answer at least one additional question. Why do I join a like-minded forum of enablers when I know it’s dangerous for my wallet (I don’t know the answer)?
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told I’ll just stop looking at bikes and focus on riding more
* and, something fun. Bikes are fun
* How did you find the paceline Forum?*. I am kinda' looking for a project bike, most likely a Look 585…and most of my 585 searches led me here for some reason.

Last edited by feynman; 06-16-2023 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-20-2023, 04:06 PM

Hello all, my name is Rob. Pleased to be here.
I hail from southeast Texas, where our biggest hills are overpasses and a 70 mile ride nets less than a grand in elevation.
Due to the lack of rock in our soil, and my background in bayou biking (mountain what?), I became well accustomed to a plethora of trail roots as a youth. Had the handle since the mid aughts on MTBR and the like; the alley of Live Oaks speak to the trees here and my profession (see below).
I’m a millennial who practices landscape architecture (architect by training).
The pride and joy of the collection is a Waterford Paramount the factory refurbished for me a few years ago. My CAAD5 has by far seen the most miles amongst the stable. Have a number of Paramounts, a few Merckxs, and now a Sachs! Fell in love with the ultimate generation of lugged steel as a teenager.
Got up to 56 mph if I recall out in the Hill Country near Utopia, TX during a training camp in college (Hook’em!)
Getting back into riding after a long hiatus. In PT for lingering skiing injuries, but making good progress!

Pics to come! Can’t wait to share the fleet.

I’m continually inspired by the functional beauty of bicycles.
Integrity is a core value, but may have impersonated the son of a local real estate mogul to get into a bar in Austin back in the day.
Other hobbies include HiFi, photography, and collecting vintage Hawaiian shirts. Suppose I’d be into cars if I didn’t spend so much on road bikes!
Internet forums are cool - remember being in awe as a kid of the wealth of knowledge from other people on the internet. My interests seem to align with some of those on this forum!

Last edited by Rootfreak; 06-21-2023 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-20-2023, 04:37 PM
ZhugeLiang

Welcome root pal.
Old 06-20-2023, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootfreak View Post
Fell in love with the ultimate generation of lugged steel as a teenager.
I like that. Well said. You'll fit in well here. Welcome indeed
Old 06-29-2023, 05:12 PM

jacob here. got into road cycling when i lived in the desert and it was too hot to ride my mountain bike during the summer. now i mostly race desert/enduro dirt bikes, but still use cycling for cross training and when it is too hot to moto.

I am coming back from a non-bike related injury and expect i'll ride more road this summer than in the previous couple of years. looking to purchase a gravel bike so I can stay away from the cagers, but i've round road bikes work just fine on dirt. currently on an old cannondale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20230511_220304401.jpg (145.8 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0485-158.jpg (144.0 KB, 392 views)
Old 09-09-2023, 06:45 AM

* real name, if you like Joe
* where do you live? New Hampshire ....Hilly
* explanation of your handle is my name
* explanation of your avatar don't have one
* age (general or specific) 49
* occupation I'm one of the Proletariat
* favorite bike my Trek Domane
* what's in your stable? Trek Domane 4.5, Cannondale Beast of the East 27.5 Hard tail, Bianchi Via Narone(currently trainer but think about overhauling it and getting it back on the road)
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 50ish, had to brake cuz I was scared lol
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? maybe 1000, I took a year off for depression
* picture of yourself or your ride? N/A
* make up and answer at least one additional question. what other hobbies do you have? Hiking and Chess
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told I'd rather not divulge
* and, something fun. Camping with the family
* How did you find the paceline Forum?* a friend recommended it

Len[/QUOTE]
Old 09-09-2023, 07:31 AM

Young me

Old me

Old 09-20-2023, 01:33 AM

* real name, if you like Elliott
* where do you live? Los Angeles, but I grew up in Vancouver, BC
* explanation of your handle I love hamburgers I guess, and it's been my handle since I was a teenager....
* explanation of your avatar its my name
* age (general or specific) 32
* occupation Urban Planner
* favorite bike Bonavia 650b Touring
* what's in your stable? Bonavia 650b Touring bike, Serotta Legend Ti, Independent Fabrication Planet X, Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 70km/h down the hill to the Langdale ferry terminal on the Sunshine Coast
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? not a ton, I was a student. Hoping to change that this year...
* picture of yourself or your ride? Picture of myself on the Olympic Discovery Adventure Trail a few weeks ago
* make up and answer at least one additional question. I'm not good at asking myself questions -
* and, something fun. I do leatherworking on the side. I make custom wallets and bags (purses)
* How did you find the paceline Forum? the internet?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me on a tree.jpg (97.6 KB, 222 views)