Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 05:54 PM

Specialized Tarmac OSBB shell worn out?

Any experience with this?
i had a nice Sl3 S-works for a bit that was truly mint condition, pics of the exact frame below. The new owner is an older gentleman ( seems like a nice guy ) but not up to speed on current tech, like a bb30/pf30 system. He did not know he could not just stick in a campy bb and call it a day. I told him to buy an adapter and take a visit to his LBS to help him out.

He sent me this wording below :

The problem is that the fit between the cup and bb shell is worn out ! This allows the cup to wobble inside the shell an excessive amount. The bottom line is I'm not able to satisfactorily build this frame.

REGARDLESS i am going to take the frame back from him. But i truly want to know if this is possible and makes the frame set unusable. The thing was honestly MINT, not a single show of use at any tube including the bb shell.

Whats up?

Thank you in advance.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:57 PM

Sounds like buyer's remorse. I bet there's nothing wrong with the BB. Those carbon shells are not a "wear" item.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:58 PM

If it rattles, it's done. You might be able to use some locktite to hold the cup in place. this is why I absolutely hate pressfit BBs. If I'm paying $4000 for a bike frame they better make it last. I don't care saving 50g of weight but in the end I have to buy a new frame in a few years. You save more weight by taking a dump before you ride than this Non-threaded BB bullsht.

I have not but this seemed to be relatively common. At one point Cannondale was sending shops loctite glue so the dealers could glue them in.

What i see is that bb30 is 42mm diameter, pf30 is 46mm--- he is trying to use a bb30 sizing which is allowing for 4mm in play all around. Possible?
Old 01-15-2019, 05:59 PM

But the frame looks brand new and the shell looks perfectly fine, He might just not want it anymore.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andeww View Post
What i see is that bb30 is 42mm diameter, pf30 is 46mm--- he is trying to use a bb30 sizing which is allowing for 4mm in play all around. Possible?
Sounds possible to me.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andeww View Post
https://www.kogel.cc/blogs/kbba/spec...osbb-explained

So much confusion just because Specialized doesn't want to admit they're using Cannondale's technology.

The frame above requires press fit cups and the bottom bracket shell is 61x46mm. I'm also thinking it's likely the buyer bought the 42mm OD adapters:

https://glorycycles.com/campagnolo-r...ps-bb30-68x42/
Old 01-16-2019, 07:09 AM

Get a Praxis OSBB adapter and call it a day:

https://praxiscycles.com/bottom-brackets/conversion-bb/
Old 01-16-2019, 08:16 AM

I had a similar problem with my Specialized crux and my shop put in some type of screw together BB (Wheel Manufacturing?) and glue it in. So far so good.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:34 AM

Thanks guys, ya I'm pretty sure he is doing something wrong. Well I do need a rain bike!

Last edited by andeww; 01-16-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I have not but this seemed to be relatively common. At one point Cannondale was sending shops loctite glue so the dealers could glue them in.
it wasn't 'glue,' it was a very light threadlocker to help seal the pressed in BB30 bearing into the shell. now it's standard procedure on a BB30 install. OP have the buyer take it to a LBS and refuse a return unless they produce documentation that this is the problem - I doubt you'd sell it and not notice an issue like that.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:09 AM

I second the take it to a shop. I wouldn't take this guys word for it. Also Find out where he is taking it and speak to the mechanic on the phone directly after they look at it. I suspect he either has no idea what he needs to make a campy crank work on this frame or as you say has buyers remorse.

Even if it did have some kind of shell wear that is resulting in a MFG tolerance incompatibility problem, the expanding fins on a Praxis conversion BB will take up that slop and fix it for sure. All the princely sum of $75, and it'll never creak. A praxis or WMF thread together is my preferred solution for building an OSBB or PF30 frame anyway. Fixes all of those creak, wobble, walking, whatever problems. I wouldn't take it back.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
it wasn't 'glue,' it was a very light threadlocker to help seal the pressed in BB30 bearing into the shell. now it's standard procedure on a BB30 install. OP have the buyer take it to a LBS and refuse a return unless they produce documentation that this is the problem - I doubt you'd sell it and not notice an issue like that.
I'll respectfully recommend that use of Loctite 609 (green) in a BB30 bearing installation is not always necessary and in fact can make bearing removal difficult. I only resort to use of Loctite 609 if the bearings are physically loose or I can't get a BB30 noise to go away. If the BB30 shell is properly machined, the bearings can be installed with either grease or anti-seize. I have two BB30 Cannondales (a CAAD9 and a CAAD10) that have perfectly quiet bottom brackets with no Loctite used during the bearing installation.

Greg
Old 01-16-2019, 11:27 AM

late to the party, but i'd take it back because it'll be a problem for you from this day forward...can almost guarantee it. regardless of the fact that the frame is fine. the plastic cups included with those frames wear out before the shell does.

following the plastic cups, S issued alloy cups (that are still in use) that get epoxied in, pretty much permanently, then convert OSBB Carbon to a more 'traditional' bb30 setup (meaning clips and bearings pressed into metal...still OSBB dimensions, though).