Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 06:42 PM

I've found that since I took up riding bikes in meaningful way, I've become an infinitely more patient driver and I think that makes me safer. Riding bike puts into perspective the absurdity of impatience when driving. Shifting your foot 6 inches and arriving at your destination 12 seconds slower is not really a meaningful impact on your life.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:33 PM

I don't know that's true across the board, but .....

Cycling has made me a more aware driver than before I started riding.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
I can't really agree with this wide sweeping generalization.
I live in a place where there are bad cyclists and bad drivers.
I don't believe that a reckless cyclist will change their behavior behind the wheel.
Likewise a motorist who is not a cyclist will never understand or achnowledge the dangers a cyclist will face. And because they are rarely punished for their bad behavior it becomes accepted.
I drive a car and I ride a bike and try to be considerate when I encounter cyclists and other motorists, even bad ones.
I'm with you.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:55 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

I have a laser-like appreciation for pothole avoidance when behind the wheel of a car.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:20 AM

Riding bicycles or motorcycles requires you to be much more aware of things going on around you and you actually need to pay attention. Those that carry that over to how they drive will be much more involved with the process of driving a car and that can’t be a bad thing.
I’ve always ridden bikes and motos like everyone is trying to kill me and I tend to drive the same way. If I were to get into an accident it wouldn’t be because I was on my phone or not paying attention.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:20 AM

agree

I think Commonguy101 summarized what I was going to say really well. I used to ride off-road motorcycles and then street bikes and then cars.

To survive on each of these machines in a sporting manner, you have to be paying full attention to what is going on. I think it really helps to have this background when driving an automobile.

One thing I am really concerned about is the infotainment systems all the new cars come with. They provide so much distraction to drivers in addition to their phones and their kids and their friends. Cars should be car, not amusement rides.

I predict, he says, that these infotainment systems will be banned at some point and I think that day is not far away. People are people and come with all sorts of abilities and with limitations.

I am happy to see a speedo and a tach and basic gauges in my 05 Matrix and no distractions for me or anyone else who drives my car.