Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2019, 06:56 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post

There are 5 Zwift "worlds" aka maps. Currently they rotate every few days, soon we will be able to choose between two worlds. Richmond is rarely used now.
You can choose worlds at any time if you use a computer and this.

https://zwifthacks.com/zwiftpref/

I use it a lot when I want to climb Alpe or Epic KOM and it's not on offer for the day.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:04 AM

Just getting started I’d join up with some group rides and/or tour/fondo events to familiarize yourself with the courses and learn the quirks of riding on Zwift - how to draft in a group, eg.: Zwift companion app/events

ZSUN,ZZRC,PACK,SAS,AHDR,3R are all reputable groups that run regularly scheduled weekly rides that generally stick to advertised pace. Helps to know your ftp and w/kg if you’ve trained w power at all but if not you can test it later in time*. Just hop on with a D or C group and take it from there if it’s too slow(or fast).

Facebook/Zwift riders group and Zwift insider blog are some excellent references for beginner tips, course info, events etc.

One more tip: for that KICKR I’m sure you’ve done this already, just make sure to do a spindown once in awhile to keep unit in calibration and make sure your power is accurate. I did an advanced spindown when I first got mine (2018 model) and now do weekly or so regular spin downs and it’s been pretty consistent with my power meter numbers.

*FTP tests hurt, hate ‘em!, So I wouldnt do right away unless you’re super motivated and/or fairly fit-it’s basically an all out time trial for :20 min. It becomes more important to know for races and workouts.

Last edited by MagicHour; 01-13-2019 at 04:39 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:23 AM
but not really

I zwifted last year. This year, I'm much more committed as a result of trainerroad base and build workout plans. If you are used to sticking to training plans, I recommend trainerroad with Netflix. Less distraction from the other riders.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:37 AM

Don't only use it for riding with others or group rides/races. In erg mode, it can be a very flexible training tool if you put a bit of effort into setting up workouts. You can use preset ones, but I build all my own. Having something to watch as you workout, even if the "hills" don't matter because your power output is linked to the workout not the terrain, makes it a lot easier to stay on the trainer for an hour or more.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:47 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
I zwifted last year. This year, I'm much more committed as a result of trainerroad base and build workout plans. If you are used to sticking to training plans, I recommend trainerroad with Netflix. Less distraction from the other riders.
I don't know, I use Zwift to execute my workouts from Trainingpeaks (they offer some excellent workout programs from the best coaches). I don't see how Zwift would take away from that ability. You're in ERG mode cranking out what the file tells you to crank out.

https://tinyurl.com/ycxzm98s
Old 01-13-2019, 08:57 PM

If you really start to dig it maybe check out building a rocker plate...basically a platform where you can get side to side sway motion for a more realistic feel. If you look on facebook there is a whole page of folks putting up plans and discussing.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:35 AM

Since I live in Switzerland, and the roads are covered in snow, ice, salt etc, I am using Zwift a lot at the moment. Here are my observations:

People with smart trainers generally ride in Erg mode, where Zwift changes the resistance, while people with dumb trainers, Zwift modifies the speed depending on terrain - in theory over the lap of a course both riders will put out the same amount of work for a given time. Zwifts alorythms are pretty good at this. However, people on smart trainers tend to climb the hills faster and descend slower than people on dumb trainers (on a climb you generally increase power and on a descent you reduce power, while on a dumb trainer, power is flat)

If you use a smart trainer, Zwift defaults to a 50% multiplier, so a 10% climb is set to 5% and the speed is compensated downwards, the reason for this is that many smart trainers cannot handle more than 10% gradients. FYI I have changed my setting to 75% multiplier, with a TACX Flux

Next tip is drafting, if you sit in a big pack and draft, you go much quicker than riding solo, fall off the back of the pack and you will struggle to get back on, try to make a break at the front, unless you catch up with another pack, you will soon be caught by the pack and probably fall off the back due to burning too many matches

Next tip, some smart trainers have a lag between you putting in an effort and it being reflected by your digital cyclist, so if you are falling back in the pack, and put in an effort to keep up, you may find that you have fallen a second behind before the pace picks up, by which time you have been dropped, so always think ahead and try to maintain a steady power

Next tip, you start off with a pretty basic setup, as you do more rides, you will be rewarded with better bike and wheels, these make a difference. You also have a limited choice of different bikes when you start, I made the mistake of trying the TT bike, which seems to have a massive penalty on any hills

Next tip - zwift doping, this takes several forms: Entering a weight which is lower than your true weight, your Watts per Kilo is key determining factor for your speed, enter a nice low weight and W/KG goes up. Another form of doping is by manipulating your smart trainer, with wheel on trainers, you can calibrate your trainer with wheel set really tight, and then losen it right off - power will be over stated

Next tip, make sure you leave extra time at the start, Zwift software has updates on a weekly basis (or even more frequently) it always seems to add 5 minutes to do the update. However, as a result of these updates, Zwift has improved massively over the past 18 months
Old 01-14-2019, 05:12 AM
ergottWheels

Leave the Challenge on Everest until you get the Concept bike (Tron bike). It's significantly faster than any other bike over any course that isn't a mountain top finish (Tour of Fire and Ice).
Old 01-14-2019, 08:40 AM

I got back on yesterday after 3 days off with some kind of viral thing. I set a few PR's on my ride and out of curiosity checked the leader board on Strava. For most segments I checked, the leaders had speeds in the 50-70 mph range, even a slight uphill (1-2%) had 60+ mph so I think there must be all kinds of ways to cheat the system.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:22 AM

If you do races, lots of people cheat. "weight doping" is very effective!

Doing a race series for my local state bike advocacy group that theoretically was with the same people every week was oddly engaging and like a real race in the sense that other people trying too hard made me try too hard that one day a week.

Especially because of the cheating I think! Since many people were both weight doping and riding at the slowest category they could get away with (by averaging only .2-.5w/kg over the max for the category for the duration of the race for the entire series) but that I believed I should be able to hang somewhere in the group I would blow myself out in a way that I never could otherwise on a trainer in the basement.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:53 AM
ergottWheels

From what I understand, racing in conjunction with zwiftpower will cull out most abnormalities. There's zero reason to look at segments on Strava because as bigbill mentioned, lots of ways to game those. If I want to compare results I'll look at people or groups I follow instead. That's a more realistic way of challenging yourself.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:10 AM

One very cool thing about Zwift is all the pros on there...I rode with Adam Yates for about an hour last week...obviously a easy day off for him and a terrible one for me...as I had pulled quite a bit for him he even let me take the final sprint...gent that he is!
Old 01-14-2019, 12:26 PM

I’ve been on a training plan for more than a year to build endurance and that meant lots of zone 1 workouts. I’ve done all of those in erg mode while watching something on TV. It’s a very efficient way to train versus riding outdoors. That is, your time in zone is exactly what you intended versus trying to do the same thing outdoors. But, it’s easy to get spoiled to that efficiency. I agree with the suggestion of Alaska Mike to get outside and ride when possible.

Also, do spin down calibrations every couple of weeks and warm up the trainer first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram
Old 01-14-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
I also use TR for workouts and group rides and specific routes on Zwift. I'd like to hear how you can do Netflix while Trainerroading. Every workout save for the periodic easy days, it's just about all I can do to stay focused on my cadence for an hour, let alone a video. Respect.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Quirk View Post
I've finally made the plunge into the world of Zwift.

In terms of making the most of the experience, do you have any advice?

What are your best tips to make it so I'll enjoy it as much as possible?

Really appreciate it. Brendan
Set goals. Don't overtrain.