Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2019, 06:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
Nope, that win on Sunday sell on Monday thing went out the window decades ago. The use of him is just fodder for mag and website buzz to get the bike out there in the ether.

I would wager that the majority of buyers of this bike probably don't even know who Peter Sagan is.
I'd take that bet. The European market watches this race result stuff intently..NOT the US market, but SpecGiantTrekCannondale sell well, In Europe, because of this very thing. The bike market in the US, by comparison, is the stuff of $137 POS coming from WallyWorld ridden once or twice around the cul-de-sac...
Old 01-14-2019, 11:16 AM

Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I'd take that bet. The European market watches this race result stuff intently..NOT the US market, but SpecGiantTrekCannondale sell well, In Europe, because of this very thing. The bike market in the US, by comparison, is the stuff of $137 POS coming from WallyWorld ridden once or twice around the cul-de-sac...
You would lose that bet my friend! If my numbers come up I'll fly us both over the pond and we'll get this straight.

Just like here, Euro results would be the same, ask customers who Sagan is, ask them what bike he's riding, as what's the name of the race he is in, ask who came in second and what bike he was one. Most won't get past the first question.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:09 PM

Giant's TCR SLR was amazing until they discontinued the SLR (Their house blend aluminum). I got a NOS frameset two years ago from a Giant rep in CA and its amazing. The TCR has always been a good bike to me, and Giant NEEDS TO BRING BACK ITS ALU! Also does Specialized use Giant's factories to make their Alu frames?
Old 01-14-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamcarneyson View Post
Also does Specialized use Giant's factories to make their Alu frames?
I would guess Specialized now relies on owner Merida for their production.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:26 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Sagan rode the Tarmac when Specialized really wanted him to be winning on the Venge. This is not an "A" race for him so yes, there's marketing involved to a point. If Sagan thought the bike sucked, I'm sure he would have passed on racing it. It's a killer bike and worthy alternative to the 5 figure carbon aero bikes that have flooded the market.
exactly my thoughts. thank you ergott pal.

Last edited by weisan; 01-14-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:04 PM

I knew if I waited long enough ALU would come back (like suits?) More incentive to keep my made in USA made for Cipollini Cannondale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2339.JPG (47.0 KB, 201 views)
Old 01-14-2019, 08:58 PM

Let's got back to the beginnings. When I was collecting / restoring classic bikes, I picked up this Cannondale SR600. It was designed before computer modeling and, as a result, was grossly over engineered. Check out the Mongo chainstays. This is the stiffest bike I have ever ridden. 74/74 angles. It was all acceleration. I'd have another in a minute.

IMG_0014a by Robert Copple, on Flickr

IMG00081-20100717-0916 by Robert Copple, on Flickr
Old 01-14-2019, 09:02 PM

Here is the cousin, ST600, which I still have. A sport tour that rides like the SR600.

IMG_0052r by Robert Copple, on Flickr
Old 01-14-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
Let's got back to the beginnings. When I was collecting / restoring classic bikes, I picked up this Cannondale SR600. It was designed before computer modeling and, as a result, was grossly over engineered. Check out the Mongo chainstays. This is the stiffest bike I have ever ridden. 74/74 angles. It was all acceleration. I'd have another in a minute.

The bike that started it all for me. At least, the one that got me into serious road riding, building and collecting. Still ride my SR and ST quite a bit.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
You would lose that bet my friend! If my numbers come up I'll fly us both over the pond and we'll get this straight.

Just like here, Euro results would be the same, ask customers who Sagan is, ask them what bike he's riding, as what's the name of the race he is in, ask who came in second and what bike he was one. Most won't get past the first question.
Seems we go around with this every few weeks..All I know(and I know anecdotally) is from the gent that owns Curve, spends about 3-4 months per year in Europe..in Italy, Hungry, Belgium and he says he sees Giant/Trek/Spec-ed/Cannondale 'race bikes' everywhere..plus a BUNCH of people who ride current team kit..VERY common..You see this at almost every televised bike race in Europe..a bunch of guys on the side of the road in Bora team kit, as an example. Just like the people in the US wear 'team' jerseys when they go to that 'ball sport' stadium..
There's nearly nuthin comparable with cycling in the US and Europe(or Japan, for that matter)..Cycling is YUGE in Europe..where in the US, it's a fringe sport..
Old 01-15-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:

Had a violet one. A bone crusher.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:14 AM

Yes....I had a CAAD 2 and a 3. Beat you to death. Had a CAAD 5 that rode great. Currently ride a CAAD 10, that depending on which wheel set I use (Zonda's or some 32 hole hand builts)....can't tell the ride difference between it and a steel frame (Enve fork) I also ride. Aluminum frames have come a long way. I like the geo of CAADS. Ride a 54. I have a 68 MM threaded sleeve glued in so can use a threaded BB. No creaking. Works great.

Last edited by Ralph; 01-15-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Tube shape has a ton to do with it as well, and hydroformed alu wasn't a technology available to manufacturers back then. I had a Pinarello Surprise of that era and it was almost unusable on anything but the freshest blacktop. How they rode 22mm tires pumped up to 125psi at all is beyond me.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:59 AM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleklobbs View Post
Tube shape has a ton to do with it as well, and hydroformed alu wasn't a technology available to manufacturers back then. I had a Pinarello Surprise of that era and it was almost unusable on anything but the freshest blacktop. How they rode 22mm tires pumped up to 125psi at all is beyond me.

Reminds me of my Fuji Team SL from back in my crit days. Got it down to below 14lbs with no expensive parts, but could only ride in on decent surfaces. On rough surfaces, it would jitter like a gangsta car with hydraulics. Great for hill climbs, no so good for descents.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:48 PM

I've got a '87 C-Dale R500 hanging in the garage. Stiff? Very (vertically...stand to sprint and it feels limp compared to my '11 Madone). Quick geometry? Yep. Beat you to death on rough road? OMG yes.

I really wish it wasn't a solid 2cm larger than what my ideal size is, or I'd probably take it out a bit more than I do.