Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2019, 11:26 AM

that's a great lookin' frame. 1300 bucks out the door for a new rig? sweet.

what does a new caad12 frame retail for?

i just checked the website and it's not on there. they do describe their caad frame as follows, "tarmac" pun likely intended!

"At under 1100 grams (for both rim brake and disc versions) CAAD12 wipes the tarmac with a lot of premium carbon frames."
Old 01-13-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
well gaulzetti does not build his own bikes, I am sure they are good though.
He does put a lot of design work into them and they're exceptional bikes.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:01 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonov View Post
He does put a lot of design work into them and they're exceptional bikes.
I bet they are but they are not actually welded by him. Spooky was never welded by its owners either and they were great and probably still great.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:23 PM

He can ride a bike of 2k and win.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:25 PM
Randomhead

I didn't realize spooky was still around, but I just saw something about a new one on FB.

I'm afraid that what the racers use still has an effect on people. Well, at least the fact that they are all racing on discs made me realize the industry really, really wants to force us to use discs and I should figure them out.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:36 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Frame, fork, headset, carbon post and bottom bracket for that price. Even if the frame is just average, it's a pretty solid package for the money. While I've never ridden that bike specifically, I have had a handful of aluminum bikes over recent years and they've been some of my favorites. It's a great material when done right.
I had a Caad4 with a record group back in 2003 and I freakin loved it. This price ($1750.) is super-inflated , I'm sorry. It's an asian made stock frame. It might be a great bike , but Specialized, like many companies, is just artificially inflating prices because they can.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:09 PM

are they supposed to be free? sold to the public at the same as bill of lading as they leave the manufacturer's loading dock? artificially inflated means what, exactly?

never quite understand that kind of statement about price. the big s has operating expenses. some of which even goes to pay sagan. the goal is to make a profit, stay in business, employ people. as does any business.

is an aluminum gualzetti artifically inflated because it's about 3 grand?

the 7005 tubes and other do-dad's for a frame are a couple hundred bucks, give or take. see for yourself and price out what's needed:

https://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle...UBES-ALUMINUM/

somehow brains & brawn come together to make a frame, whomever is doing it. that process isn't free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
I had a Caad4 with a record group back in 2003 and I freakin loved it. This price ($1750.) is super-inflated , I'm sorry. It's an asian made stock frame. It might be a great bike , but Specialized, like many companies, is just artificially inflating prices because they can.

Last edited by 54ny77; 01-13-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
Yeah. I think the real story here is that Specialized, like a few other companies, has been steadily making relatively cheap alu bikes (the non Sprint version retailed for like $800 - I raced that bike for years) that are designed to have good ride qualities instead or just being a cheap option for people who don't want to spring for a carbon frame. Cannondale was doing it forever and now Trek is doing it too; I wonder if Spec lost the plot a little bit with the price of the Sprint, but still.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
^^^^^^This^^^^^

I've been riding and racing Cannondales for years. Firstly (and most importantly) because their geometry works for me. But also because they are great riding frames that don't break the bank. I'd love to try a "grail" bike, but I want to retire debt-free in a few short years AND get my daughter through college debt-free. Every penny counts and my Cannondales allow me to have some fun without spending too much. They certainly aren't slowing me down!

Greg
And most certain this.

Long live ALU

Last edited by azrider; 01-13-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I bet they are but they are not actually welded by him. Spooky was never welded by its owners either and they were great and probably still great.
Meh. Makes no difference. I have a couple and I'd put them against anything I've ever owned from any company, from the big brands to single builder shops.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:43 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Meh. Makes no difference. I have a couple and I'd put them against anything I've ever owned from any company, from the big brands to single builder shops.
nobody is saying they aren't. you dont have to defend the brand because you have a couple of them, I believe you that they are amazing bikes.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:43 PM

If you're gonna race on your own dime, then an aluminum frame from the big names is the way to go.

If you're gonna flinch when that crash renders your frame unrideable, then it's too expensive. I'd be pretty safe in saying that includes the boutique and custom brands.

I don't understand how some people can say some of these aluminum frames ride harsh because they're built in a typical double diamond configuration, which is inherently structurally rigid in a vertical plane. Any bump absorption would come from vertical flex.

The exception would be junkfood's Specialized, with its large diameter, ovalized seatpost, but it sounds like he's not complaining. Cannondale learned at one time, if I'm not mistaken, that they could impart some vertical compliance into the frame by using a smaller than 27.2mm diameter carbon seatpost.

The new Specialized aluminum frame is eminently raceable with unknown comfort possibly built into the seatpost. The price is very reasonable considering custom alternatives.

I wouldn't be surprised if Peter Sagan has performance incentives built in to the use of the bike: X dollars for any wins on the bike.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:27 PM
50 bpm

Another great aluminum bike, with a 1090g frame, full carbon fork and Ultegra for around a grand on sale. With the savings you can buy nice wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuji-roubaix-1.1-311734-1.jpg (57.0 KB, 220 views)
Old 01-13-2019, 04:40 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
No surprise there; he rides what his sponsors ask him to ride.
Sagan rode the Tarmac when Specialized really wanted him to be winning on the Venge. This is not an "A" race for him so yes, there's marketing involved to a point. If Sagan thought the bike sucked, I'm sure he would have passed on racing it. It's a killer bike and worthy alternative to the 5 figure carbon aero bikes that have flooded the market.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:42 PM
ergottWheels

Seeing how the fit between the Allez Sprint and CAAD frames is pretty close, I'd be hard pressed to choose the Cannondale over the Specialized for a race bike. You get all that the Cannondale is with better aero. No downside that I see.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:44 PM

Thanks! Now if there was a steel bike like that then I would be in heaven.

Quote:
the king of alum crit bike is cannondale. They have had the CAAD for a long time and have always stoop by it. So I recommend you look into a CAAD 9, 10, 12.

Then if you want something custom you have rock lobster and spooky. I would probably try to find a used lobster or spooky, they are great.

I miss my alum spooky. that thing was balls to the wall fast (at least it felt fast), so stiff, agressive geo (too much for me actually but I did not care, was awesome). But I do have to say, it would beat me up after a few hours of ridding (probably because of the 155mm headtube, I prefer something more like 180 nowadays).