Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
it's rather amusing that people with no knowledge of this program decide to chime in with factually incorrect takes, even after the OP points out this is administered by the Department of Education (read, not a scam)

Now, there are organizations such as "Who's who in America", which charge a $100 (or more) to have one's name listed in a book, but this program is far from that.

maybe perceptions of the program (of its actual merits) have changed since the years I attended high school (early 2000s), but being selected as a Prez Scholar was viewed as a tremendous achievement, especially if one qualified via the academics route, as only two finalists per state (one of each gender) were selected, regardless of size of the state.

A good friend from high school was selected, and I've also come to know a few others well (and a few more in passing). Most of them were brilliant. While I had what many may consider as superior high school achievement (1570 on the SAT and score of 5 on six AP tests), my friend was at another level, having finished Calc BC by sophomore year (two years ahead of most), while also excelling in band and other activities. The Prez Scholars from other populous states had similar levels of achievement. Iirc, while they didn't meet Pres. Bush, the First Lady hosted an event in their honor.

Purely in terms of dollars and cents, one could make an argument for the worth of this accolade, as another poster has rightly pointed out that it occurs after the application process but may be of little value after matriculation, as its relevance and importance are overshadowed by one's achievements in college. But who knows, it may make a difference for that summer internship.
When I was recruiting engineers at OSU a few years ago, the fact that one candidate was a Presidential Scholar was the tiebreaker. Interviews often come down to how the person makes decisions and cultural fit, being chosen for a program such as that is a good resume bullet.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:38 PM

My daughter received the presidential scholar application last year. After going through all the instructions and fine print we decided to pass. She had already been accepted to her first choice school so being a scholar wouldn’t help with her application process. We felt like the time spent on her AP classes, one more shot at the ACT, and her job (which she loved) would be more beneficial in the long run. She had worked her tail off for 3 1/2 years. She held up her end of the bargain. She didn’t need the added time commitment and stress.
That being said it could be great for the right person. Future attorney, business executives, federal/state workers,etc. My daughter is into art history, architecture, music and media. Going to DC didn’t excite her since she’d been there before.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:05 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

It's too bad that so many of the "takes" here are "how's this going to help my kid get into a better college?" (and of course college itself becomes "how this school going to help my kid get a better job?") instead of considering it a potentially valuable learning experience.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
It's too bad that so many of the "takes" here are "how's this going to help my kid get into a better college?" (and of course college itself becomes "how this school going to help my kid get a better job?") instead of considering it a potentially valuable learning experience.
I hear what you’re saying.
But a 16 hour application process? Seems excessive. Especially after what many of the kids and parents have been through for college applications.
I bet they could whittle that down to a 2-3 hour application and get even more talented kids to apply, and end up with a great group.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
I hear what you’re saying.
But a 16 hour application process? Seems excessive. Especially after what many of the kids and parents have been through for college applications.
I bet they could whittle that down to a 2-3 hour application and get even more talented kids to apply, and end up with a great group.
What are you talking about? This has nothing to do with what they said.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Louis, your point is well-taken, but I looked over all the information in the letter and on the site and there just is not a lot of detail about what they're going to be doing. I'm sure it would be a learning experience, but the materials read like this: Presidential scholars will come to DC and do stuff.

There's a political dimension to this too, of course, which I've been staying away from... but I wonder if the lack of details is significant.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:10 AM
ferro verum est

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
When I was recruiting engineers at OSU a few years ago, the fact that one candidate was a Presidential Scholar was the tiebreaker. Interviews often come down to how the person makes decisions and cultural fit, being chosen for a program such as that is a good resume bullet.
I'm surprised someone applying for employment after college (I'm assuming not an internship) listed an achievement they won in high school. Could the competing candidate have won national science fairs/leadership awards/math competitions/or been a Presidential Scholar herself and merely chose not to mention it?

I'm sure you had great reasons for your decision, just putting out more to consider.

Quote:
Department of Education (read, not a scam)
Old 01-27-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicCows View Post
Quote:
it's rather amusing that people with no knowledge of this program decide to chime in with factually incorrect takes, even after the OP points out this is administered by the Department of Education (read, not a scam)

regardless of the esteem with which you hold the current Secretary of Education, the Department of Education does not engage in activity that scam people.

some people (see the posts to which I originally responded) believed this program to be an actual scam