Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2019, 01:53 PM

Just a little heads-up, it sold last week with a steelman fork for the $999.99 + shipping asking price with a single bid:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Anod...-/401939540832
(just in case someone comes back in the future and wonders how this turned out--wasn't me who bought it!)

Last edited by mokofoko; 11-20-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
my guess is they will wear in the rub spots where you take a bottle in and out, and yes, they will likely fade in the sun.

The original question was, how do we expect anodized ti cages to hold up in daily use?

Silca has now got on the anodized titanium bandwagon. They're offering a pair of bourbon anodized (probably more like gold anodized) ti cages and straws. Their care instructions for the straws say:

Quote:
Dishwasher Safe
Avoid using abrasive cleaning pads
That does lead me to think that the ti oxide layer (which gives titanium its color - long story, involves physics, something about differential refraction) will wear off under abrasives. I might pass on these for a gravel bike.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Hmm, the highlight colors on my 'ethnic' Duende are purple, gold, and blue. I guess I could buy all 3 then put them in rotation
...or have a third water bottle mount installed on the underside of the downtube...
Old 01-26-2020, 04:23 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
Agave is now selling anodized King ti cages. Any thoughts on how the ano finish would hold up to use?

They also have a few other colors.
We ti anodize tons of stuff- head badges, seat collars, frames, cages. It will rub of with a rag if you press too hard or use a harsher cleaner. I use Windex on ti ano frames cause it's pretty gentle and I use a soft t-shirt to clean things. A red shop rag, or Terry cloth towel, those will rub it off. A plastic water bottle can as well. Especially if it's a tight fitting cage/bottle.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
The original question was, how do we expect anodized ti cages to hold up in daily use?

Silca has now got on the anodized titanium bandwagon. They're offering a pair of bourbon anodized (probably more like gold anodized) ti cages and straws. Their care instructions for the straws say:

That does lead me to think that the ti oxide layer (which gives titanium its color - long story, involves physics, something about differential refraction) will wear off under abrasives. I might pass on these for a gravel bike.
See my post #27 above. That was from either Kevin or Tyler at Firefly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
So, I have it from a pretty reliable source that a water bottle by itself would not cause the anodization to wear off. However, when grit from the road wedges itself between the bottle and the cage, the anodization will wear off where the grit rubs.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...7&postcount=27
Old 01-26-2020, 04:34 PM

Dark Matter

I had a Legend bead blasted and logos anodized by Ollie at Dark Matter. His work is unbeatable and his prices are affordable. Check him out
Old 03-24-2020, 09:02 AM

Thanks all for the discussion, I've enjoyed following this thread. I did want to weigh in on the durability of the titanium ano on the cages that I do, since there are questions. I can only speak in relation to my own ti ano process, but this is the best way that I can characterize its durability:

Compared to aluminum ano, which uses dyes to saturate the porous structure of the metal, titanium anodizing relies on an oxide layer which coats the surface of the metal and create color through refraction of light. Strictly speaking, it is not going to be as durable as your average aluminum anodized surface since it is a surface coating.

Practically speaking, though, titanium anodization is plenty durable for use under normal riding conditions. It will scratch where it is abused, dragged on something that is harder than it, or scuffed with an abrasive material. It will certainly show scuffing where a gritty bottle is repeatedly installed and removed, but you should expect that from your average aluminum cage as well. The cages on my road bike don't show any of this scuffing, but it is generally kept very clean. You should definitely not expect to be able to rub the ano off with a rag, unless that rag is dirty enough to be abrasive.

That's all to say, ti ano will hold up fine to regular use, given that you treat it with the same care that you likely treat your bike. If you have an anodized frame, it is advisable to use a clear vinyl frame protector where you plan to use a top tube tank bag, etc. If you're removing frame protector, soften the adhesive with a heat gun and remove slowly to avoid higher voltage colors chipping off with strongly bonded adhesive.

I've had an anodized frame in regular use for two years now - it gets muddy, I clean it (carefully) with Dawn dish soap and a soft bristled brush, I haven't seen any durability issues. I've also had an anodized Manything Cage mounted beneath the down tube of the same frame for about a year, it is still bright and vibrant. Cages clean up best with a clean/soft rag or blue paper shop towel and either Windex or rubbing alcohol - this will best bring back their full color.

I hope that information helps to clear up some of the uncertainty. Anybody should definitely feel welcome to DM me. Thanks, and have fun out there!