Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2024, 02:40 PM

Yeah, I don’t get any free Supercharging and I haven’t tried to break down the math as to how many KWh per unit of distance but it wouldn’t be hard. The odometer just rolled over 21,000 miles. Divide that by KWh and run the proportions. I just drive it and rarely run these kinds of calculations mostly because they won’t change how I drive the car…..
Old 01-17-2024, 02:48 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Wife's Bolt for 1000 mile a month use @ $0.145/kWh home [including transmission percent of kWh charged] costs us low $30s non winter, and $53ish, avg 3 cold months. Icey periods pops it +4-5 bucks/mo. If frigid spells last more than 4-5 charging sessions, which they tend not to, more. Again home costs via Juicebox 32 on 40a/220v delivering 7.5 kWh each hour.

Saab2k, miles?

Juicebox report shows mid 340ish kWh per month 10,11,12/2023. 1/24 12 sessions so far eaten 219kWh so far.

This is why I question the Claims of Tesla 3 being most efficient EV googling.

Last edited by robt57; 01-17-2024 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 02:52 PM
Administrator

This is a pretty interesting video. Interesting to me in that this is the first time I've seen these specialty fire blankets deployed for an EV fire. Certainly more environmentally friendly than needing to drown the car with thousands of gallons of water.

These people sure are lucky they got this out of the garage before a freeburn situation and lost the whole house. Bet they have some smoke damage though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itGeAq9rBeY
Old 01-17-2024, 02:59 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Yeah, I don’t get any free Supercharging
But didn't the buyers that did get free Supercharging pay the most premium prices for those sleds??

Side note: My 2013-4 Tesla S friend got excited seeing the Hertz sell off wanting a newer 2 motor 3. He is even happier with the cold 'press' hoping for it helping that cost even more now.

Last edited by robt57; 01-17-2024 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
This is a pretty interesting video. Interesting to me in that this is the first time I've seen these specialty fire blankets deployed for an EV fire. Certainly more environmentally friendly than needing to drown the car with thousands of gallons of water.

These people sure are lucky they got this out of the garage before a freeburn situation and lost the whole house. Bet they have some smoke damage though.

This rapidly makes me think *** is this not built into the battery pack to begin with?

It's not even rocket science, I have owned a bag for battery storage for a few years now for this purpose for drone batteries.

There's all kinds of stuff going on with car & aircraft fuel cells I am really curious what kinds of fire protection requirements there are on these giant battery packs.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:04 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

There are a trillion ICE car fire VID out there as well. Including explosions. I struggle to see fear factor personally. Ratio wise I guess I mean...

But I guess you don't mean to post for fear factor, something I do see quite often in EV threads.

I don't use our garage for any ICE or EV Vehicle. I would if it was detached. That's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

Last edited by robt57; 01-17-2024 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
But didn't the buyers that did get free Supercharging pay the most premium prices for those sleds??

Side note: My 2013-4 Tesla S friend got excited seeing the Hertz sell off wanting a newer 2 motor 3. He is even happier with the cold 'press' hoping for it helping that cost even more now.
I think some very early adopters of the Model S (I’m talking a decade ago or so) got as much as lifetime Supercharging for free. This was a massive enticement to get adopters and I think it was successful.

I ordered mine at “Peak Tesla Pricing” in early 2022 and took delivery on December 8, 2022. They massively dropped prices about a month after I took delivery I wish they would have offered those who were now underwater some level of level of free Supercharging for a while to kind of acknowledge that their huge price drop was a bit of a raw deal. But whatever. I can’t change that so I accept it. Because that’s what we should do in life.

My car has logged 21, 029 miles.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:13 PM

Those stats are interesting and they show something that never gets discussed and it's why I'm driving the same car after 11 years and it's so hard for me to justify replacing it.

I'm paying like 1/2 what Saab2000 does in a month to drive my gasoline car.. just cause I apparently drive about 1/3 as much.

It's not really an accident, everyone has their own circumstances. But we bought our house in the town we live in with this in mind, and then both my wife and I searched for jobs nearby. We both have < 10 mile round trip commutes.

And it's a good thing cause driving the car here will make you lose your mind.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:19 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
They massively dropped prices about a month after I took delivery
Yeah, my S friend sent me a link for a VID where a S Plaid guy's $139k car within a year could be bought new for just under 100k.

Will anyone even writ Gap for that??

Early adopting costs run amuck.

I don't play there personally, but wow!

Said this in threads here before. I sold my 2020 PHEV Pacifica to Carmax with 14k on it month 28 of ownership. Got a 2018 Sedona 20MPG, but only drive 2-300 miles/mo. So PHEV was depreciating way faster than any amount I was saving on propulsion costs. Even @ 45 cold, and 55 warm MPG notable over double MPG VS ICE KIA. But gas was +1.00 more/gal then also.

Last edited by robt57; 01-17-2024 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Yeah, my S friend sent me a link for a VID where a S Plaid guy's $139k car within a year could be bought new for just under 100k.

Will anyone even writ Gap for that??

Early adopting costs run amuck.

I don't play there personally, but wow!
They likely had their legal department research whether or not this could be a problem. Likely wasn't for them. Today they are priced appropriately for what they deliver in terms of quality, etc. People will argue about quality and I respect those points. Mine has thankfully not had any of those issues. But 18-24 months ago they were priced like MBs or Audi or BMW, all of which are much more premium vehicles.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:25 PM
Back At It!

so this post has nothing to do with any particular person on this thread..

As I was sitting at lunch thinking about this thread it dawned on me that the whole garage discussion is one of a very privileged position.. and not that owing an EV isn't BTW..

Again, not a dig at anyone who has a EV or a garage to put it in, but having to have a garage to adequately (whatever you want that to mean) charge your EV is a pretty big ask of many (maybe most?) folks in the world.. how many people living in Chicago actually have a garage, regardless if they park their car in it our not?

I say all this since EVs are supposed to be one of the ways forward to help combat climate change..

Last edited by fourflys; 01-17-2024 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I ordered mine at “Peak Tesla Pricing” in early 2022 and took delivery on December 8, 2022. They massively dropped prices about a month after I took delivery I wish they would have offered those who were now underwater some level of level of free Supercharging for a while to kind of acknowledge that their huge price drop was a bit of a raw deal. But whatever. I can’t change that so I accept it. Because that’s what we should do in life.
?

My neighbor (also a cyclist) took delivery of a Y about 2 weeks after you. When Tesla announced the price drop in January '23 they said they got some US$,$$$ back.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:30 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Our Bolt will fit in the garage. Charger on wall outside. It has new battery now, but don't think I did not have thoughts of yanking it away from the house with a chain with my trailer hitch on my van.

Before new battery I mean.

Quote:
"If the vehicle you've purchased is defective, you have 30 days from the point of purchase to claim a full refund

Defective prices don't count apparently.

Last edited by robt57; 01-17-2024 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
so this post has nothing to do with any particular person on this thread..

As I was sitting at lunch thinking about this thread it dawned on me that the whole garage discussion is one of a very privileged position.. and not that owing an EV isn't BTW..

Again, not a dig at anyone who has a EV or a garage to put it in, but having to have a garage to adequately (whatever you want that to mean) charge your EV is a pretty big ask of many (maybe most?) folks in the world.. how many people living in Chicago actually have a garage, regardless if they park their car in it our not?

I say all this since EVs are supposed to be one of the ways forward to help combat climate change..
The real privilege is actually owning your car.

You gotta realize as you drive/cycle/walk around 80% of the sparkly new cars you see are financed. Most of the people need 5+ years to pay them off, a lot of people never really ever get loan free cause they replace the cars before they manage to pay them off and they have revolving loans forever. US consumers have $1.6T of auto debt and the average person is borrowing $40k these days when they buy a new car. Apparently almost 1/3 of buyers trade in a car that they are underwater on the loan on and roll that into the new car.

If you read forums, reddit, etc.. EV fans are definitely part of this insanity, you'll regularly see posts from people who financed a Tesla last year and then changed their mind 12 months later and now they have a Hyundai EV they financed. Then you get people worrying about resale and such as if that matters at all versus just holding onto a car till the loans are a distant memory.

That whole strategy where the car sales guy says not to focus on the cost but to focus on the monthly payment? It seems to work exceptionally well on the average buyer.

Last edited by benb; 01-17-2024 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:52 PM

Quote:
There are a trillion ICE car fire VID out there as well. Including explosions.
Diesel doesn't burn/explode like gas. There's a reason many people prefer diesel inboards over gas. Less risk on the water of fire or bilge vapor explosions.

But...that having been said...VW screwed the pooch with regard to diesel.

It would take me a long time to financially justify replacing my Q7 TDI with 175K, running like top, getting 30mpg, with an EV.

I do what I can with regard to climate change...have panels on the roof, etc., but paying $20K or $50K to avoid paying $150/month for diesel fill up...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy