Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2015, 06:54 PM

Favorite vertical storage solution for apartment?

I'm looking for the simplest, least obtrusive and least harmful (to the bike and wall) way of vertically storing my bike in this corner of my apartment (pic below).

Any tips, tricks, pointers?

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2015, 06:57 PM

I have my three bikes mounted with clug fasteners. They're fabulous.

[QUOTE=toosahn;1800269]I'm looking for the simplest, least obtrusive and least harmful (to the bike and wall) way of vertically storing my bike in this corner of my apartment (pic below).

Any tips, tricks, pointers?

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpk501 View Post
I have my three bikes mounted with clug fasteners. They're fabulous.

Edit: Nvm, found 'em!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:05 PM

Easiest and cheapest way is to find a stud and screw a hook into the wall. You're going to have to patch/paint the hole anyways. So who cares about the tire scuffs; a poster can save a little elbow grease, I guess.

If you want to avoid wall changes you're building something free standing or maybe considering the ceiling which is harder to patch/paint, but not by much.
There are lots of freestanding racks out there, but I don't know of one that holds the bike up by the front tire.

You could take a 2x6 that is the height of your vertical bike and build some kind of weighted triangular base. Sorta like a driveway basketball hoop...

Have fun!
Old 08-04-2015, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
If you want to avoid wall changes you're building something free standing or maybe considering the ceiling which is harder to patch/paint, but not by much.
There are lots of freestanding racks out there, but I don't know of one that holds the bike up by the front tire.

You could take a 2x6 that is the height of your vertical bike and build some kind of weighted triangular base. Sorta like a driveway basketball hoop...

Have fun!
Something like this?

http://t.harborfreight.com/mobile-bi...age-61231.html

I use that for the kids' bikes and it's worked well (and lasted longer than the usual "use once" for Harbor Freight tools )
Old 08-04-2015, 08:03 AM

http://www.getclug.com/

Old 08-04-2015, 08:38 AM

1x4 into studs, basic hook from a hardware store into the 1x4! most hardware stores sell some huge hooks for bikes, but smaller ones work just as well (or better).

if you want it to look good, you can cut some bevels into the 1x4, and stain it... and then put another one on the wall where your rear wheel touches the wall. that will protect the paint.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:46 AM

I use one of the freestanding racks from Performance. Got it years ago, still keeps trucking along. Can fit four bikes on both sides.

Great way to hang tires and all the rest.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:56 AM
Bike Guy

I built this but scaled up to fit 6 bikes, for about $60 in wood (new). almost 3 years old not and the only issue is mixing road bike handlebars with MTB and commuter bike handlebars in a tight space. Some forethought could have prevented that but still a decent solution for storage in my 850 sq ft house.

DIY Vertical Rack
Old 08-04-2015, 09:19 AM

Want to add a +1 for the Clug, in addition to a tray for the rear tire. My friend even 3D printed one, it's such a simple design.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:38 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I use one of the freestanding racks from Performance. Got it years ago, still keeps trucking along. Can fit four bikes on both sides. Great way to hang tires and all the rest.
I have one in my garage and works great I slip a piece of old inner tube between the cable and top tube to keep the paint from being scraped

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaco View Post
Want to add a +1 for the Clug, in addition to a tray for the rear tire. My friend even 3D printed one, it's such a simple design.
I like the idea of these a lot but not so keen that they rely on tire pressure to hold the bike. One bike daily rider would be fine since easier to stay on top of keeping tire pumped up. A few bikes? Nope
Old 08-04-2015, 09:43 AM

i use two of these in my place, but did not attach the extra rod and hooks (wanted to keep the look simple). i have had people comment it looked nice.

http://www.topeak.com/products/stora...neupbikeholder
Old 08-04-2015, 09:53 AM

TwoUp Tune Up Stand

If you can't mount anything in the apartment, I suggest: http://www.topeak.com/products/stora...uneupbikestand

Stable and strong for the past 3 years
Old 08-04-2015, 10:06 AM
Mr.Chicken Legs

This is what we have in our living room. The mount should fit for the standard height ceiling. We really like ours. There is ZERO screwing In the walls, it uses the weight of the bikes to stay on the wall.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsocks View Post
This is what we have in our living room. The mount should fit for the standard height ceiling. We really like ours. There is ZERO screwing In the walls, it uses the weight of the bikes to stay on the wall.

...I am really impressed that you managed to get the handlebars/front wheel perfectly straight. Mine always swing towards the wall when I mount it on the same rack.

Tags
bike storage