Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 08:22 PM

Guidance on a bike for my nephew

He lives in SF, has been riding road with friends, has a 60cm Trek Emonda ALR (don't know the model number). He's coming east for a month or two and planning to ship that bike here (MA) where both my sisters have houses on Cape Cod. He's WFH until at least the end of 2020. He's been training for a triathlon (I hear 2nd hand from my sister).

He's thinking about leaving the Emonda at the Cape, and picking up another road bike. He is looking for disc brakes. Doesn't want electronic. Guessing those Treks come with Shimano 2x11. I haven't gotten input from him about max tire width he'd like to run - the Emonda spec says 26mm is max. He's not a bike afficianado, just a big strong 26 year old who has gotten into biking with great enthusiasm.

If I were to help him find a bike, new or used (would start here), what would I be looking for? He said carbon or aluminum, but I wouldn't let that limit me. The 60cm Emonda has a 58.6cm TT.

Thoughts?
Old 06-02-2020, 08:44 PM

A Madone would be a great partner for an Emonda.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:01 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I would say that it might be a good time to think about expanding his horizons beyond Trek.

Does it have to be disc? How about a cool (used) steel or Ti frame?

Basically something different and new to him.

Just a thought.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:44 PM

He wants disc brakes, and doesn't carry a preference for Trek. Used is fine.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:25 AM

Any more input?
Maybe I should post this on a car forum, since we have so many opinions on a bike forum about what kind of car someone should buy
Old 06-03-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Any more input?
Maybe I should post this on a car forum, since we have so many opinions on a bike forum about what kind of car someone should buy

If he's going to end up doing many triathlons, think about a tri bike.
I did my first tri on a road bike, and trying to stay aero for the whole bike section, on drop bars, was no fun. I got a tri bike after that, and wouldn't go back.

It comes down to what he wants to do with the new bike. Pure road, a used Serotta could work quite well

Chris
Old 06-03-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp43 View Post
If he's going to end up doing many triathlons, think about a tri bike.
I did my first tri on a road bike, and trying to stay aero for the whole bike section, on drop bars, was no fun. I got a tri bike after that, and wouldn't go back.

It comes down to what he wants to do with the new bike. Pure road, a used Serotta could work quite well

Chris
Ding ding ding

Get a him a TT bike

Used or whatever.

Edit: I din't read the OP very well, so never has done a Triathlon I read "doing triathlons" I'd stick to a road bike so he can still ride with it as he has been in SF. Why not take him to a bike shop and let him ride some bikes and see what he likes? Maybe not much choice on the Cape but the coast ain't far!

If he's simply leaving it up to you then I'd find him a slightly used carbon Emonda, Supersix or TCR maybe a Madone. He can decide later if he want's to buy and talk about bikes more than ride them as gets older. Haha. You did not however mention budget?

Loads of bikes for sale used but fewer in disc at this point.

Last edited by charliedid; 06-03-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:54 AM

Yes, don't know anything about him becoming a serious triathlete, he's not ever done one. At this point, I'd be looking for a road bike with similar fit to his Emonda but with disc brakes and in my mind the potential for fitting larger than a 26mm tire. I'd think that a frame with discs will likely take at least 28mm tires.

And I'm pretty sure I'm looking for a whole bike or close, if it's used.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Yes, don't know anything about him becoming a serious triathlete, he's not ever done one. At this point, I'd be looking for a road bike with similar fit to his Emonda but with disc brakes and in my mind the potential for fitting larger than a 26mm tire. I'd think that a frame with discs will likely take at least 28mm tires.

And I'm pretty sure I'm looking for a whole bike or close, if it's used.

Thanks!
FWIW I run 28's on my Emonda SL6 Pro with Bontrager direct mount bakes. Not sure why Trek is always so conservative in this regard and yes disc will take much bigger. If he really wants to go plush a Domane and Madone will run 32's but I think the Emonda does not.

If you are looking used and have a Facebook account you will find a deal IMO more than bike forums.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:47 AM

Thanks for both of those pointers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
FWIW I run 28's on my Emonda SL6 Pro with Bontrager direct mount bakes. Not sure why Trek is always so conservative in this regard and yes disc will take much bigger. If he really wants to go plush a Domane and Madone will run 32's but I think the Emonda does not.

If you are looking used and have a Facebook account you will find a deal IMO more than bike forums.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:40 PM

I would get something he can run 32's on. Maybe even wider. Then he can get into the Marin gravel scene as well. It's a lot of fun.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:13 PM

I was thinking along the same lines - doesn't seem as though this would compromise frame design for a fast pure road bike. Not even so much for gravel as for poor road surfaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwin View Post
I would get something he can run 32's on. Maybe even wider. Then he can get into the Marin gravel scene as well. It's a lot of fun.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I was thinking along the same lines - doesn't seem as though this would compromise frame design for a fast pure road bike. Not even so much for gravel as for poor road surfaces.

Absolutely. #supplelife lol.

I’m a big believer that 32-35mm is really an optimal width for most recreational(+) road riding unless you’re trying to set KOMs. Supremely comfortable with very little loss in performance. Plus setup some 35mm file treads tubeless and you have a great road/gravel setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2020, 02:23 PM

I don't think he's thinking about unpaved stuff at all yet, but would be great to have the flexibility to go there without needing a new/another bike. Of course in the olden days almost any good bike would take 32s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwin View Post
Absolutely. #supplelife lol.

I’m a big believer that 32-35mm is really an optimal width for most recreational(+) road riding unless you’re trying to set KOMs. Supremely comfortable with very little loss in performance. Plus setup some 35mm file treads tubeless and you have a great road/gravel setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2020, 03:13 PM

As someone who also has had 2 Emonda ALR's now, if it fits him well, who not get an Emonda SLR disc. In our group they're everyone's favorite production bike, are light and ride great while clearing a decent tire. Another option to check on would be a Parlee Altum, which is quite similar and also have a great ride, but a little more limited tire clearance on the disc version.

Personally though, when I was in his spot, I went with a No22. A ti bike would be perfect out in San Francisco with some of the damp foggy mornings, and the ride is sublime.

Also, for the tire clearance comments on the Emonda ALR:
- first gen (standard mount rim brakes) would easily clear a "big" 28mm tire in the rear and JUST clear it at the front brake bridge (SRAM Force brakes).
- second gen (direct mount rim brakes) I've fit an actual measured 31mm tire in there no real issue on either end and ridden them a decent bit. It was a little tighter than I'd prefer under the lowest point of the rear brake, and occasionally a small rock would stick. I've since gone to 28s that measure around 29.5mm and it works wonderfully.