Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2018, 08:03 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
You have to run a longer bottom bracket (Italian thread) for the inner chaining to clear with the square taper cranks, I haven't tried a hollowtech but I think it's possible a compact would work. I am going to try at some point although I like the 7410 cranks.
The 'Carbonframes' branded ones and earlier Calfees did indeed have Italian threading but a 'normal' BB spec saw the small ring hitting the RH chainstay..For the 102mm Campag cranks, we often had to use an ISO 111mm BB...Kinda goofy chainline on some..

Craig eventually went to English threaded BB but offset the shell to the right to allow for small ring clearance.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:47 AM

I'm not a fan of how their lugs look, but was also pretty blown away by this bike at NAHBS (sorry if pic has already been posted)...

February 17, 2018 NAHBS by SlowPoke Pete, on Flickr

SPP
Old 04-14-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
I'm not a fan of how their lugs look, but was also pretty blown away by this bike at NAHBS (sorry if pic has already been posted)...

SPP
I agree! This one had me really interested. I'd love to own this or the Appleman that was there as well. Both look like killer bikes!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2018, 10:13 AM

This thread makes me want to buy a Calfee! That off-road one is fairly cool, but the aesthetics are gorgeous.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:43 AM

Calfee

Maybe they have changed- But I put a few together 15 or so years ago.
Too many wonky things and/or details that were off.
Barely enough clearance (or not any clearance), clearance on left side but not right, chainrings that barely clear the stays, head and seat angles not the same as spec'd- that sort of thing.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
This thread makes me want to buy a Calfee! That off-road one is fairly cool, but the aesthetics are gorgeous.
Sorry, every time I see a Calfe all I can think about is the creature from the black lagoon. sure they ride well enough, but to me, their aesthetics are dreadfully ugly. Thankfully, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laupsi View Post
Sorry, every time I see a Calfe all I can think about is the creature from the black lagoon. sure they ride well enough, but to me, their aesthetics are dreadfully ugly. Thankfully, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
...and I saw post 38 after sending!
Old 04-14-2018, 02:49 PM

I have always wanted one of the smaller diameter tubeset Calfee race bikes, and Greg Lemond's opinion (led by fandom, I know) was one of the first reason's I ever considered buying a carbon fiber frameset. My fear of breaking one however kept me happily on alloy, however, and still does, truthfully.

But like another post above, I waited and waited and waited until certain things converged for me before giving in to the carbon fiber frameset curiosity. By then, the Supersix EVO himod satisfied me more on aesthetics of the tube diameters (setting aside all sensible reasons). But I still don't ride it very much, because it's hard for an old dog to set aside the fear of having sone shtty driver break it.

I think I asked DK whether his client was going for the Calfee look, assuming that frame gets paint, when he posted it; they both look great to me.

Hopefully, I'll get one in the future!
(If you kids are searching Daddy's old posts - this means you; please also get me an old Nobilette and a B.R.E.W.)
Old 04-14-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post

SPP
I'll take one please!

Not a fan of black bikes but when I saw a very similar one -as mentioned earlier- on The Radavist, I made an exception.

Appleman pretty sweet also.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:36 PM
needs adult supervision

Is the original premise of this thread even true? Couldn’t you say, equally, why no love for DeRosa? Why no love for Bianchi? Why no love for Pinarello?

There are countless brands we rarely mention. Calfee isn’t unique. Just one name in a long list of brands that, for whatever reason, simply aren’t talked about much.

Calfee isn’t special in that it isn’t special here. Lots of frames snooze here.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobswire View Post
That one above in mat black would be cool but I'm a steel junkie. If I was ever to get a CF frame Calfee would be high on the list if for no other reason they must be doing something right, much like Moots and other Tai builders whose frames pretty much remain the same. I have no desire for one of the major CF manufacturers for obvious reasons, they are selling a bunch of hooey.
This. Lots of guys here are steel riders...I have 2 steel bikes myself...but I do love carbon too...for that matter, I love just about any material made into a bike as long as its a quality build and it rides well. Today, with so many options and choices in material, builders, etc., to choose from, it's tough to compete with so many great bikes out there.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:21 AM

Hey Pete,

Completely agree. The "lugs" on the NAHBS bike look like the bamboo wrap approach, without the mold flash appearance.

The taper / shaping on the chain stays and seat stays is noteworthy.

I was expecting to see a lot more commentary on this bike after Hartford.

*like*

Old 04-15-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
This. Lots of guys here are steel riders...I have 2 steel bikes myself...but I do love carbon too...for that matter, I love just about any material made into a bike as long as its a quality build and it rides well. Today, with so many options and choices in material, builders, etc., to choose from, it's tough to compete with so many great bikes out there.
This, there are so many really good bikes from big manufacturers today. I too own a couple of steel bikes but really like my Bianchi Infinito that doesn't get much love here.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Is the original premise of this thread even true? Couldn’t you say, equally, why no love for DeRosa? Why no love for Bianchi? Why no love for Pinarello?

There are countless brands we rarely mention. Calfee isn’t unique. Just one name in a long list of brands that, for whatever reason, simply aren’t talked about much.

Calfee isn’t special in that it isn’t special here. Lots of frames snooze here.
+1 I was think no love for Parlee the whole time I was reading this thread.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=208544
Old 04-15-2018, 09:31 PM
ZhugeLiang

I bought this Merlin after it sat here for almost a month not getting any love.

And you know what....it's one of the best purchases I have ever made.

Ever wonder why I exercise so much independent thinking (I like clamping my top tube on the bike stand) ?

Because if I don't, I will get sucked into the herd mentality and life experience has taught me that's not always a good thing (neither is the majority view always right).

Last edited by weisan; 04-15-2018 at 09:36 PM.