Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2018, 02:06 PM

I bought a Tetra Pro years ago, primarily based on recommendations from this very forum.
My options/question was, "Calfee Tetra Pro or Look 585?".
The substantial consensus was, "Tetra Pro".

I was very happy with that frameset, and as a nice cherry Calfee CS re: inquiries, etc. was always excellent ime. No complaints at all.

The quality, track record, customer service are all excellent, and I like the distinctive aesthetics. One could do much, much worse than a Calfee when looking for a carbon frame. Plus, Craig even named a model after his dog.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Not that there is no love for Calfee, they definitely were talked up a lot in previous years. I think its just that a lot more builders have swelled the ranks of well built rides since then. Imo of course.

William
Old 04-13-2018, 02:17 PM

Never had one but love the look of them. Would love to give one a try some day.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshell View Post
Yeah, I don't doubt Mr. Kirk's fab abilities in the slightest but that brazing web is worse than the carbon web, form and function-wise.

Met Craig a couple of times and he was always cool, fwiw.
That's not Kirk's normal brazing - it's a special "gothic" design piece.

Dave's fillets are second to none.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:23 PM

Don't have room for this in the garage, but is this a good example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CALFEE-TETR...M/152981417296

It seems not all Calfee frames came with Calfee forks? I see a lot of them with Ouzo Pros..

Did Calfee use different tubes based on customer requests (like a MeiVici)? Or was it more model-specific?
Old 04-13-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Don't have room for this in the garage, but is this a good example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CALFEE-TETR...M/152981417296

It seems not all Calfee frames came with Calfee forks? I see a lot of them with Ouzo Pros..

Did Calfee use different tubes based on customer requests (like a MeiVici)? Or was it more model-specific?
I don't think they've made their own fork for a long time. I've seen Enve, Reynolds, Wound-Up and others on Calfees.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
It seems not all Calfee frames came with Calfee forks? I see a lot of them with Ouzo Pros.
There were/aren't "Calfee" forks per se afaik. The most common forks spec'd with Calfee frames were re-painted (if supplied with the original frame) Reynolds Ouzo Pro and Alpha-Q/True Temper, some Wound Up. Now W-U, Enve, Seven, Whisky, others....

Quote:
Yes to both. Anywhere from 33, 42, and 55 MSI tubes, including combinations.

The "Technical Papers" (under the "Inside Calfee" tab on the website) are always interesting.

Last edited by cadence90; 04-13-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Every Calfee I've seen in the flesh has been gorgeous. Every picture of a Calfee I've seen on the internet has made me want to throw up in my mouth a little. Not sure why the disconnect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I don't like their current aesthetics.

But I would totally be down to rock an older one, especially with the blue/purple tint over the carbon. But then it would have to have polished silver components, like 7700. If I ever see one that's selling used inexpensively, fits my geometry, and fits 28's, I'd be seriously tempted.
It's not easy to take a flattering picture of them, it's usually too dark to see the weave or if it's bright enough to see the weave then there are harsh shadows. Combine that with many people having "endurance" fits when racing fits are more aesthetically pleasing. I never thought much of them until I looked at the one I bought on craigslist. It was advertised as a 53 so I wanted to buy it for my girlfriend, but it was a 56 -my size, and in person it looks ****ing amazing so I had to have it, mostly just because the frame looks and feels like a piece of jewelry.

I would highly recommend an old tetra pro if you can get a good deal on one. I bought mine off of craigslist for $500 with an 8 speed record group that I sold on ebay for more than that. Rebuilt it with 10 speed shimano. At this point I've ridden it for a few years and thousands of miles.

You have to run a longer bottom bracket (Italian thread) for the inner chaining to clear with the square taper cranks, I haven't tried a hollowtech but I think it's possible a compact would work. I am going to try at some point although I like the 7410 cranks.

It's not the stiffest bike ever but it climbs efficiently and the ride quality is incredibly good. It feels better than any of the best steel bikes I've ever ridden as far as climbing and ride quality. The handling is on the conservative side but I've had mine up to 59MPH and it was fine.

I've managed to fit full fenders (with 23c) on mine with custom brackets I made for the front dropout. I end up riding the bike a lot because of the fenders.

The frame is pretty much the old broken in pair of running shoes - of bikes. It doesn't have the edge of a newer and stiffer high end racing frame but even though it's old I'd contend it's better than any aluminum frame, any steel frame, and most other carbon frames. Just in my opinion. I honestly didn't expect to like the bike as much as I do.

Sorry to write a novel and guess what it's time for pics!

Old 04-13-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
It's not easy to take a flattering picture of them, it's usually too dark to see the weave or if it's bright enough to see the weave then there are harsh shadows.

[SNIP]

Sorry to write a novel and guess what it's time for pics!
Excellent post, and nice bicycle! All very true ime as well.

Some other photos:

Last edited by cadence90; 07-28-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
How does your Calfee ride compared to the Madone?

Texbike
The Calfee ride is solid. I still like it. But like another person said, it is hard to compare a 20 year old frame to something much newer. In contrast, the Madone is really light. The tubing is really hollow sounding and since it is di2 compatible, I'm using etap, there are holes where you can see how thin the tubing is, which is kind of trick.

Btw, I bought my Trek Madone used. The frame looked brand new as the previous owner said he didn't ride it much because he couldn't get his power meter to work with it....seems like a weird excuse, but I got it cheap ($1k for frameset/hs/brakes), so I'm not complaining!

It is a 2013 and has the u-brake that mounts under the chainstays. Kind of a PIA to work on, but it works. My Madone is a 7 Series and says it is Made in the USA in Wisconsin. So while not quite California, it is still made here in the US. Of course, some people don't consider California part of the US, so there's that....

Good Luck!
Old 04-13-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Is it even meaningful to compare complete bikes with 20+ years difference?
That SHOULD equate to several pounds!

How much more does Craig's current lightest frame weigh than the new Trek that you have?
Which one is mass-produced in China and which one is hand-made in California, USA?
Last weekend I was working on a Madone with pressfit bearings that were loose-fitting even with the OS bearings that Enduro supplied. I was less than thrilled to have to install the bearings with adhesive and heat-cure the assembly before the cranks could even be installed. The Trek also showed extensive paint separation at many of it's hidden joints, which was downright frightening in appearance.
I'm not anti-Trek at all, but it is a different world from a Calfee frame imo.
In response to your questions:

1. yes, my calfee with Campy 9 weighs in around 18lb, the Trek Madone with etap is about 16lbs with fairly heavy wheels.

2. I don't know what Calfee's current lightweight frame (Dragonfly?) weighs but I'm pretty sure it is heavier than the Trek's Emonda frame is like 650g. Bianchi has a frame that is like 680g and I'm sure Giant has one around that weight. I suspect Calfee's lightest is more like 800+g, which isn't really heavy.

3. My Trek Madone 700 says it is made in Wisconsin. Not quite California, but closer than say the Giant factory in Taiwan....

4. Yes, my Trek has the pressed in oversized bb bearing. It works. In contrast, my old Calfee has the wide Italian threaded bb. I try putting on a Chorus carbon crank with the outboard bearings a few years ago and couldn't get it to work. My Calfee has a Phil Wood "carbon" ti bb with TA Zephyr square tapered crankset. Definitely isn't as light as the Chorus, but the bb is smooth.

Btw, I really like the trek with etap! Good Luck!

Last edited by bfd; 04-13-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:22 PM

true
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTupolev View Post
The problem with Calfee bikes is the lug aesthetics. They look unfinished, like a near-net-shape forged part where someone forgot to machine away the forging artifacts.
false
Quote:
...these were the first winning carbon frames in the TDF...

Last edited by wallymann; 04-13-2018 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:41 AM

Carbon, or metal-carbon?

The earlier bikes basically just had their bonded-aluminum tubes substituted for carbon tubes.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Maybe I haven’t been paying attention, but Calfees don’t seem to get many props up in here...and I’m just curious what might be the driver there? Is it a lack of Instagram game on their part? People don’t like the lugs? What gives?

They really aren’t that expensive compared to a lot of other custom options...
The price? Someone purchased a Calfee in my club. She drove up to the shop. I really don't think that anyone else can afford one. There are some great ideas and he repairs carbon. However, you can be priced out of the market.

bill
Old 04-14-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Carbon, or metal-carbon?

The earlier bikes basically just had their bonded-aluminum tubes substituted for carbon tubes.
society generally considers the first TdF winning "carbon" bikes as the LOOKs from '86, but point taken.

where do you draw the arbitrary "carbon bike" line -- tubes? lugs? bosses/inserts? dropouts? it's a different point in time for each.