Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2019, 09:19 AM

The new Ultegra and Dura Ace also have buttons on top of the hoods which can be programmed to shift. Now that I run synchro the hood buttons and right shifter are set up for shifting duties, the left shifter to control my Garmin.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:38 AM

I like it when I'm accelerating. Going from the 34x14 to the 50x18 automatically is pretty slick. Downshifting from the big ring isn't as smooth.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:19 PM

Bumping this old thread. I had Ultegra DI2 installed on one of my bikes a few months ago. I didn't want to deal with figuring out wiring lengths and let the bike shop do the swap out. I merely asked just have everything the Shimano defaults and make sure any firmware is fully updated.

I finally got fed up with how the buttons were set and installed the etube software to make some changes. I have no problem switching from Shimano to Sram to Campagnolo as I have bikes with each one. Trying to remember which button to press on DI2 though felt like picturing a compass in my brain per the top sticky note. I changed it to behave like Etap. Right side lever, buttons make the chain go to the right and harder gears. Left side lever, chain goes left to easier gears.

I also really like the semi-synchro shifting of auto-moving 2 cogs over when shifting from 50 to 34 and back. You get spoiled fast with electronic shifting. Especially when you are at the limit up a long steep climb in the sun. A button press versus the throw of a lever, it's nice.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:56 PM

as the OP

and over the last year, I have tried both kinds of sync shifting. no criticism, but in the end every data point on a cycling route where i live involves different variables and just because sync shifts 2 cogs every time does not mean that is what "I" really need. electronic shifting is so immediate my preference is to be in the moment and do as many clicks as I needed to match all the variables. sync always does the same thing every time. our roads and undulations and my biodynamics don't.