Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2020, 10:35 AM

OT Please explain Craigslist scams

Occasionally I’ll sell stuff on Craigslist and when I do I always get email’s that say

“Interested in the item you have listed for sale. Are you the original owner and is that your lowest price. Please send email to............ I do not check Craigslist email”

I’ve received maybe half a dozen like this. They never name the item for sale and they always want a direct email response, not through Craigslist. I always respond back only through Craigslist and I will explain due to scammers that yes the item is still for sale and would they please let me know the item they’re interested in. I never hear back. They seem intent on getting a direct email.

My question is what can they achieve by getting my direct email? Or is that the first step in trying to start a scam and where would it go from there?

I’ve learned to respond in that manner plus it’s getting easier to tease out legitimate buyers from scammers in their email exchanges. I always communicate only through Craigslist and meet in public parking lot/places with security cameras. But to be fair, once I see the buyers legit, I end up meeting with good honest people just looking for a decent deal.

Can a scammer access a computer if they only have someone’s email address?
Old 06-04-2020, 10:38 AM
I need you cool.

your email address (or variation of it) is typically your login for your bank, Fidelity accts, insurance company, Paceline, etc, etc....

sending it to them engages you in an exchange...social engineering to get your PW is next...

This is my uninformed $0.02
Old 06-04-2020, 10:44 AM

For my craigslist buy/sell, I have a separate account (outlook/yahoo/google) to deal with.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Occasionally I’ll sell stuff on Craigslist and when I do I always get email’s that say

“Interested in the item you have listed for sale. Are you the original owner and is that your lowest price. Please send email to............ I do not check Craigslist email”

I’ve received maybe half a dozen like this. They never name the item for sale and they always want a direct email response, not through Craigslist. I always respond back only through Craigslist and I will explain due to scammers that yes the item is still for sale and would they please let me know the item they’re interested in. I never hear back. They seem intent on getting a direct email.
I just sold 2 boats at different times on Craigslist and as usual received the same email as you. I posted in both adds I was the original owner. It was made perfectly clear. So I figure if your so stupid you don't understand that then there is not much point in continuing. I also sold a car and was offered $200 more than my asking price. Problem was I didn't want $200 more and a cashiers check All I wanted was cash and what ever I could settle on with the buyer. Craigslist is a haven for scammers. Be careful.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
For my craigslist buy/sell, I have a separate account (outlook/yahoo/google) to deal with.
I also have a separate bank account that my PayPal account is tied to and only leave a little money in there. That way if this is somehow compromised, there's not much money to be had.

Last edited by Keith A; 06-04-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:12 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
I also have a separate bank account that my PayPal account is tied to and only leave a little money in there. That way if this is somehow how compromised, there's not much money to be had.
Ditto here. Wells Fargo would not let me have a second checking account with a small balance without a fee. So I left and went to Chase.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:43 PM
Serotta Red

Location: Leawood, KS- It is in Kansas City, July west tisbury October tucson
Rule 1

1. Cash only Local pick up At a McDonald’s or public space
Rule 2 see rule 1

I have gotten the cashier email
And the rest of them
These folks have way too much time on their hands
“Delete”

I must admit during these “trying times”
I have racked up $3500+ shooting for 5 large
The people that watch my on the office parking lot are going to call the irs
SN# HC-54-265

Last edited by godfrey1112000; 06-04-2020 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:50 PM

CL is being a PITA lately even for posting stuff, they started asking for phone number verification that is understandable but for me is a bummer. Pretty much if you dont give them everything like facebook style they wont post the listing at all.

I stopped using CL due to that problem (for me).
Old 06-04-2020, 06:28 PM
I need you cool.

Speaking of scams....has anyone else received the "Support Info" email from "Dell" for an "Annual Subscription for USD 299.99" posing as a renewal notice for some sort of maintenance plan?

Got that today.....email address was "wrong" (care@dell-support1.co) and there was a typo in one of the phone numbers.

My guess is that they want you to call the number provided and to get a "refund" they confirm your credit card info....