Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2020, 12:19 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

This is the very first time I have heard of this technique. Interesting post!
Old 06-04-2020, 12:42 AM
You still here?

Virtually every major, and many minor supermarket chains tenderize their beef this way. Not rare or unusual at all.

If you’re concerned about it, talk to the meat department manager about it.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:24 AM

Eat Venison. Problem solved. Tastes great, saves cars and protects the over population of the species.

On a serious note, Venison is great, but you can also find local farmers who really care for their animals, and make sure they are humanely killed before butcher. I don't mind paying more for a local farmer to raise beef, pork, whatever - as long as I know they were treated well and loved before they were humanely killed. It does make a difference; go to some local farms then try to see a massive operation. While recognizing we are omnivores bothers some, I personally am aware that is what we are - but I want to know that what I eat did not suffer, be it wild, raised, or I don't know what... Having said that, Costco has some great deals on meat - but check out the sources before your dig in... and I love Costco.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:32 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

I never even knew that meat was tenderized at the butcher prior to reaching the end consumer.
That was a task that had I assumed people typically do with a textured tenderizer mallet at home.
Then again, I eat meat perhaps 10-12 times per year, so that is why this is a new topic.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:50 AM

my father was connected to the wholesale beef business his whole career

when i was a younger man i worked for him for one year. his line of biz was largely selling "portion controlled" precut steaks to some family-type steak chain restaurants such as Sizzler. they did not use top grade beef but something known as "cow." in larger cuts prior to being portioned into steaks, the beef was put in vats filled with a tenderizing solution and left to soak for a while. and then those big cuts were put through the needling machine. so they were made really tender before being sold to restaurants. of course the restaurant owner knew as this was perfectly legit according to the regs, but i bet the customers did not. so i know of this process, but did not ever think Costco choice or prime-graded beef was processed this way. still no biggy, but a surprise to me.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:38 PM

USDA beef grades are kind of a joke - they have been manipulated to meet consumer demand - kind of like sizing in women's clothing. They have created "select" between choice and standard. Expanded choice substantially because - you know USDA says choice so it must be good right?

The problem is that pretty much a fixed percentage of cows are truly prime or choice - by expanding what is acceptable in prime and choice beef, voila! There is more prime and choice meat available.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:57 PM

I could never understand why COSCO Blade Tenderizes it’s Prime steaks.
I always get the Cryovac Prime, but my last visit they only had pre-cut Prime NY Strips, no cryo, with the current meat shortage, I don’t expect cryos anytime soon.

And speaking of the meat shortage, how is there not a surplus of Prime beef with all the steakhouses closed?
Old 06-04-2020, 01:14 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
And speaking of the meat shortage, how is there not a surplus of Prime beef with all the steakhouses closed?
A bunch of the restaurants around here are still buying from their suppliers, but then turning around and selling "groceries", along with take-out food.

I went in with a friend on some seafood last week and got about 8 lbs of frozen prawns, along with scallops and halibut that she and SO ordered.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:32 PM

Regarding any shortages, it is of labor (ability to process) and not livestock. So, I would expect to see the supply of further processed items (cut steaks) before or moreso than less processed items (cryovac subprimals). I realize that is the opposite of a particular Costco experience above, but that is what I have read and am hearing from friends in the industry.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
A bunch of the restaurants around here are still buying from their suppliers, but then turning around and selling "groceries", along with take-out food.

I went in with a friend on some seafood last week and got about 8 lbs of frozen prawns, along with scallops and halibut that she and SO ordered.
We have a local seafood supply business that mostly deals with restaurants (and the sort interested in high-quality seafood) -- they've taken to neighborhood retail drop-offs around town, where you order in advance, then meet their truck in a prescribed window of time for low-contact pickup. I'm sure it's been tough for them, and for the restaurants, but it's been great for us.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
We have a local seafood supply business that mostly deals with restaurants (and the sort interested in high-quality seafood) -- they've taken to neighborhood retail drop-offs around town, where you order in advance, then meet their truck in a prescribed window of time for low-contact pickup. I'm sure it's been tough for them, and for the restaurants, but it's been great for us.
We've got that here on Cape Cod. A couple of local fisherman have put up FB pages announcing when/where they'd be docking... My taste in fish runs mostly to wild salmon and red snapper, so we haven't tried much of the local fare (scallops, cod, striper, blue fish, oysters, etc.).

We tried a restaurant supply wholesaler for some produce, but gave up after they delivered the world's largest carrots. Three of us spent a week peeling one, and then another two weeks chewing away at one end of it.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 06-04-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:13 PM

Blade tenderized and cryovac are both new to me.

I googled cryovac and found a Sams Club ribeye offering that included this description:

"Cows are grain-fed so that you get a vibrant and natural flavor throughout the meat."

Isn't "grain-fed" (i.e. corn and soy) pretty much the minimum dietary requirement for barely keeping the animal alive? A diet that requires antibiotics and hormone supplements to help the animal get to slaughter weight?

Sounds like Sams is riffing off "grass-fed" but expects people not to know the difference...

And at $14.98 a pound for 13-20 lb quantities. No bargain there.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 06-04-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Isn't "grain-fed" (i.e. corn and soy) pretty much the minimum dietary requirement for barely keeping the animal alive? A diet that requires antibiotics and hormone supplements to help the animal get to slaughter weight?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Sounds like Sams is riffing off "grass-fed" but expects people not to know the difference...
One can assume that the beef is grain-fed if the package does not tout grass-fed. I'm really not a fan of the flavor of grass-fed* beef so the distinction is most certainly not a selling point to every consumer.

*at least not exclusively grass-fed. Some small farmers raise cattle on mostly pasture grass and hay but introduce a predominately grain diet for some weeks prior to slaughter. This serves to add weight and "flush out" the distinct taste of a most/all grass diet.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 06-04-2020 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
No.

One can assume that the beef is grain-fed if the package does not tout grass-fed. I'm really not a fan of the flavor of grass-fed* beef so the distinction is most certainly not a selling point to every consumer.

*at least not exclusively grass-fed. Some small farmers raise cattle on mostly pasture grass and hay but introduce a predominately grain diet for some weeks prior to slaughter. This serves to add weight and "flush out" the distinct taste of a most/all grass diet.
Same here. Not a fan of grass fed, flavor wise. Also, there is Grass Fed, and Grass Finished

https://www.crowdcow.com/blog/grass-...grain-finished