Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2018, 12:21 PM
commuter racer

I've been shipping valuable things every day with UPS for 18 years and rarely have a problem. This is an abnormal incident and you just need to file a claim with apple, and they will file one with UPS. Keep the box.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:29 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
FWIW - anything that I have ordered from Apple has always required a signature even to the point that I have had to drive to the delivery office to get it. Did you order this through Apple?
Yes, from Apple.com, but according to UPS, not designated 'Sig Required'...

Should have just picked it up at Apple store..
Old 01-12-2018, 12:31 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
I've been shipping valuable things every day with UPS for 18 years and rarely have a problem. This is an abnormal incident and you just need to file a claim with apple, and they will file one with UPS. Keep the box.
No sir, I file a claim with UPS, as per conversation with Apple. No doubt abnormal and don't want to point fingers yet, but it sure looks like 'somebody' at UPS has some sticky fingers.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:45 PM

I've had an item disappear from UPS shipping once and the company I bought it from replaced it. As far as a signature requirement, it isn't based on a dollar amount it's based on the seller's requirement, so to save shipping cost for the seller a lot of products are sent without signature requirements, and in todays competitive online sales anything that will reduce the shipping cost will be done. You can require a seller to ship anything to you with a signature but you'll have to pay for that service.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:48 PM
commuter racer

That can happen anywhere though. It you really really need to send something of high value ( diamonds etc., gold, human embryos etc.. ) use USPS Registered mail. It is locked up the entire way.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:50 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yes, from Apple.com, but according to UPS, not designated 'Sig Required'...

Should have just picked it up at Apple store..
That seems odd. Apple, as far as I know, always requires a sig for this very reason.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:51 PM

I've had 2 deliveries with which I've had problems recently; one as sender and the other as recipient. I sent a card and check through USPS to an artist for some work that were never received. I bought a frame from a forum member in Sweden there and there are issues now with delivery.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:58 PM
Not a robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
That seems odd. Apple, as far as I know, always requires a sig for this very reason.
I thought I recalled that too, but both of our new iPhones arrived without it - were just left on the front step.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:03 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolly View Post
I thought I recalled that too, but both of our new iPhones arrived without it - were just left on the front step.
It adds to the cost of shipping. They probably figure it's cheaper overall to not require it, if they are sending out thousands of telephones.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:03 PM
Proud Grandpa

Update...yes, claim in with UPS..but for grins, started a chat session with Apple..

Full refund a result...I could have just gotten a replacement 'sent', but, no thanks.."fool me once", etc....

So...as we talk about customer service and places like..well, 'Apple'...just for info.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:19 PM

When I mailed you the hubs earlier, I did it through a "mailbox" store and they asked if I wanted UPS. Having read this earlier, I did it right. What's sad is that this store is necessary. If everyone is gone for the summer and I'm getting something delivered, I get it delivered to the mailbox place just because we have porch pirates.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:46 PM

Apple requires signatures (for me) for everything, even the $19 charger I bought a few months ago.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:56 PM

What can Brown do for you.

Last edited by beeatnik; 01-13-2018 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Logistics
Old 01-12-2018, 04:02 PM

I bought pedals on eBay that were shipped Jan 3rd. Unfortunately signature required so tried to figure out when they would come. 3 days in a row got messages saying shipment delayed due to severe weather (really, three days?) when I checked the tracking number. It was out for delivery on the 10th, we kept the yard lights on until 7:30 or so, finally turned them off. Heard foot steps on the deck, a thump, and he's gone. There's the package, and I'm sure he's ticked off that he got the signature...

BTW, I tried for an hour to get on the UPS site and sign for the package ahead of time, but couldn't make that work (even though UPS sent me emails soliciting this)
Old 01-12-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Update...yes, claim in with UPS..but for grins, started a chat session with Apple..

Full refund a result...I could have just gotten a replacement 'sent', but, no thanks.."fool me once", etc....

So...as we talk about customer service and places like..well, 'Apple'...just for info.
Yes! Now you can go buy it physically in the flesh. Oh, wait, that may not be fun either.