Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2018, 10:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

DON'T use UPS!!

Or at least use 'signature required'.

Ordered an Apple watch for son..delivered onto porch last night(no problem with porch pirates), I'm not home, no 'Sig Required'..this AM, noticed Apple watch specific, external box, securing tape had been cut(?)...that's right, nothing inside, internal, Apple watch box EMPTY...UPS seemed not hugely concerned..we'll see where this goes. to UPS
Old 01-12-2018, 10:16 AM
but not really

Did the box clearly denote it was from Apple? I always think the branded shipping boxes are a bad idea. I'd rather the delivery person, or person walking past the house (crime of opportunity) not be able to so easily identify the source of the package.

Separately, can Apple tell you the serial number of the watch and use any fancy apps to locate it or determine if it has been activated? Police might be able to help if you have this type of info.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Or at least use 'signature required'.

Ordered an Apple watch for son..delivered onto porch last night(no problem with porch pirates), I'm not home, no 'Sig Required'..this AM, noticed Apple watch specific, external box, securing tape had been cut(?)...that's right, nothing inside, internal, Apple watch box EMPTY...UPS seemed not hugely concerned..we'll see where this goes. to UPS
I doubt that is standard practice or condoned within the company, so maligning UPS wholesale might be a bit harsh. I imagine they'll do the right thing through customer service eventually. This is just the world we live in...too many people, making too many problems, and there's not much love to go around... Besides, it's not like there are foolproof alternatives to UPS (FedEx has the same gene-pool), other than not shopping online, or if you do, only using "ship to store". I do wish you luck getting it all sorted and hopefully with less than 4-hrs on hold.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:25 AM

direct apple shipments don't usually say "Apple" on them. someone must have known what it was. obviously an inside job, as no porch thief would go through all the trouble to open the box, remove wrapper on watch box, then seal everything back up; they'd just take the box! the person inside UPS that did it clearly wanted it to get delivered still, so that it didn't disappear while it was in their hands.

maybe contact Apple, as I believe the shipper has to be the one to initiate a claim. and maybe it's happened before so they know how best to deal with it? wouldn't be surprised.

really sucks. I hope you get it cleared up.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:29 AM

Family member works there on the belt......someone went unconscious on the belt and another worker shut the belt down. Supervisor yelled and screamed that the line should not have been shut down. Boxes were like a sea and it took minutes to reach the poor fellow, who was just exhausted from mandatory 16 hour shifts without any rest breaks. No rests.

Oh, the bastards ruined a classic firearm of mine and refused to pay claiming I boxed it poorly....double boxed inside a gun case.....it almost stood up to what would appear to have been a forklift running over it.

Not a fan of UPS
Old 01-12-2018, 10:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
Did the box clearly denote it was from Apple? I always think the branded shipping boxes are a bad idea. I'd rather the delivery person, or person walking past the house (crime of opportunity) not be able to so easily identify the source of the package.

Separately, can Apple tell you the serial number of the watch and use any fancy apps to locate it or determine if it has been activated? Police might be able to help if you have this type of info.
Return address said AI, but very unique, long, slender box. See one once and pretty obvious what it is. Gonna let UPS do their thing, then see if it’s ‘registered’. Claim initiated by me.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-12-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:32 AM
aka RAEKWON

lets be honest though, I have heard bad things about FedEx, USPS, DHL, ect, ect, ect.... They are all bad....

Or maybe some of their employees are bad, just like, hummmm, a huge corporation
Old 01-12-2018, 10:34 AM
Administrator

incidentally - i think they all suck right now.

i think with the boom of amazon, etc - they shipping companies are simply overwhelmed and have not come up with an efficient way to manage the new normal volume.

shipments i've been waiting for lately have been a mess, through all three major carriers, all around.

hope you get sorted out Peter, brand new apple products have got to be a hot target for theft.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
incidentally - i think they all suck right now.

i think with the boom of amazon, etc - they shipping companies are simply overwhelmed and have not come up with an efficient way to manage the new normal volume.

shipments i've been waiting for lately have been a mess, through all three major carriers, all around.

hope you get sorted out Peter, brand new apple products have got to be a hot target for theft.
This is unfortunately the reality.

P.O. boxes or ship where someone will be home is the new normal
Old 01-12-2018, 10:40 AM

Seems to fit in with the general crapification of services. Take a flight lately?

Last month I bought some components from CA that were shipped to the east coast via FedEx/Bikeflights. Took about 5 days to get from the west coast to the local depot but a week to make it the last 20 miles! Each day it said it was out for delivery but at the end of the day the tracking would say 'delayed delivery requested' (but I wasn't the one doing the requesting).
Old 01-12-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
This is unfortunately the reality.

P.O. boxes or ship where someone will be home is the new normal
Or just redirect to a UPS or FedEx "store" - which is what I do with all my boxes for bikes/wheels, etc. I have them shipped to my office address to avoid the residential delivery fee, then redirect them to the store. Easy peasy.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:07 AM

That's a bummer, good luck with it.

I did a short stint working for UPS many years ago so I know never to use UPS LOL. I would not doubt if the USPS or FedEX employees also ram, throw, and shove everything into shipment containers either but darn if it was a site to see working for UPS.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:27 AM

Maybe look into what "ring" has to offer at ring.com
I have a couple of their products and have been pleased.
For frames, I do the same as Clean39T. Good advice

Last edited by EliteVelo; 01-12-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:01 PM

FWIW - anything that I have ordered from Apple has always required a signature even to the point that I have had to drive to the delivery office to get it. Did you order this through Apple?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:18 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
Seems to fit in with the general crapification of services. Take a flight lately?
Service at volume seems ripe for a significant leap forward, but a more balanced relationship between "do more with less" and "do better" will be hard to justify in the age of shareholder value.