Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2024, 09:14 PM

SCHMOLKE Rims...anyone ride them?

I am fascinated by the whole carbon braiding and knowing that this has been used for wheels making them stronger and more durable wondering if anyone has rode them and can provide some insight.
I am getting ready to build up a TIME ADHX and think it would be fitting to go with braided wheels possibly. It is a pure vanity build, but ride quality will matter some.

Last edited by mike s; 04-29-2024 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:26 AM

Sorry can't offer any usage reports but I would buy them in a heart beat if I had the budget. I have bought items from them in the past and they are very professional.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:41 AM

I’ve heard anecdotal evidence that they can crack easily at the spoke nipple hole. The rim was warrantied and is currently running strong. Whether that’s one case or a systemic quality control issue, I can’t say. But it does indicate a smooth warranty process (shipping back and forth being a pain of course)

My main concern was the warranty being only 2 years and if that happened to me at 30 months… yikes. At that price point I would want my carbon rims to have more than a couple years warranty.

Last edited by Shane4XC; 04-29-2024 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:06 AM

Im really impressed by this brand but alas unwilling to spend he money on such a marginal gain. However I did buy a pair of Schmolke bidons colour-coded to my bike. I can confirm the bottles work well.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:02 AM

My buddy is currently riding the TLO version which claims to be The Light One, hence TLO.

It’s paired with Carbon-Ti hubs and it’s working very well and the rim brake surfaces brakes very well.

I would say buy them if you want to be in that exclusive club where you don’t see many people sporting this brand.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:03 AM

I have four Schmolke-rimmed wheelsets:

1 x rim-brake shallow tubular (road)
1 x rim-brake 45mm clincher (road)
2 x disc-brake 45mm clincher (road and CX)

They're daily wheels and have held true throughout.
I've traditionally ridden tubulars on the road, CX and track, and the clincher 45mm Schmolkes with Veloflex and Ultradynamico tires feel just as good as the tubulars.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3N0EpYuKVB/
Old 04-29-2024, 09:17 AM

Definitely glad to hear my friends wheels are the exception, not the norm. I was close to buying these rims, maybe the next go around