Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2019, 01:52 PM

Mountain bike help - suggestions

I started looking online at MTB's and am frankly overwhelmed. So much out there, and I have zero knowledge of mtb tech! Things like why single chainring cranks, enduro vs. cross country, full suspension vs. front shock, carbon vs. aluminum, gruppo types, frame size (I ride a road 54/55), 650B vs. 29'er, best type of rims for my use, and on and on. Not least of which, what kind of clothing does one wear riding offroad, for practicality as well as not looking like a total dork?

For reference, I'm not a complete mtb rookie--a seeming lifetime ago I had good amount of experience on hardtails and then had an mtb (Stumpjumper) with front suspension. I just have not kept up with anything mtb since the mid 90's, and literally haven't been on a mtb ride since around then as well.

Here's what my interests are: basic trail riding, mix of up and down, locale is Orange County, CA (coastal areas as well as venturing inland/Silverado/etc.). Not interested in bombing downhills but something that soaks up some bumps. Would like reasonable weight, not a heifer but not ultra light either (assuming light stuff on an mtb = $$$). Budget in the $3k +/- range (used). I hopped on local craigslist and frankly have no idea why one bike costs $3k and another one is $6k.

Am going to hit up a few local LBS's as well to see what they have, but in there I'm a baby seal going into a killer whale-populated waters. Won't have any idea what the salesman is saying, either bs'ing me or being honest.

Would appreciate any recommendations, including a good mtb forum (or if you're local to OC, a reputable shop with someone you know there who won't screw me on bike recommendation).

Last edited by 54ny77; 05-18-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:04 PM

My vote is for a hardtail.

I really don't think (unless you're doing really hardcore dh stuff) that a full suss is necessary. Just me 2cents.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:04 PM

It's a minefield. Your best bet is probably to go and take a few on a test ride to get a feel for 650B vs 29er, hardtail vs full suspension etc.

Look for bikes with 100mm to 120mm of travel (front, or front and back). I'm not familiar with the trails you ride, so can't say wherther a hardtail or full sus would be most appropriate.

Another thing to look for is a dropper post. And tubeless tyres. And a short stem; alot of MTBs now use a long TT combined with a short stem to improve handling.

MTBs seem to be going 1x with a big cassette; you're less likely to drop a chain and there's less noise.

Used MTBs should be dirt cheap, dont forget to factor in suspension servicing costs though.

If you're handy with a wrench, build your own from used parts!

A 29er with some fairly wide tyres might negate the need for rear suspension if you don't ride really rocky trails

Last edited by macaroon; 05-18-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:06 PM

3-1/2 years ago I purchased a hardly used Pivot 429C with XX1 components, dropper post, and light alloy Stans wheels on Pinkbike for $3K. Still love this bike. Weighs about 25 lbs, 29ers roll over a lot more than my old 26er. 4" rear travel is plenty for where I ride, but takes the curse off of rough sections for my aging back. It's an XC type bike.
Perhaps Of Counsel will jump in - his advice was rally helpful to me and I think he's in your area. I had narrowed my search at the time to Ibis Ripley, Pivot 429, and a similar model by Intense.
One caveat - sizing is inconsistent. A Small in the Pivot 429 had the same geometry as a Medium in the Ibis Ripley.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:14 PM

It might be wise to buy a used 26" bike to ride for a while and get a feel for what kind of riding you want to do. I'll bet you can get something pretty good for $300-500 and resell it for little loss when you decided what you really want.

If you want to come down I-5 you can try my Large-size Marin Rift Zone FS bike from 2001. It's a far cry from the latest designs but it can be a good introduction to the sport and very durable. I live a mile from UCSD where there are a variety of good trails to dip your toe.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:26 PM

I would be looking for a bike similar to this, full suspension 29er
https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/.../sCategory/511

With your budget I wouldn't waste my time with a hardtail, full suspension is so much better in so many ways. FS bikes have a clear advantage when things get bumpy, technical. Better traction in all conditions, lots more comfortable and confident inspiring.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:24 PM
Literally Stiff

I can relate, mountain biker ages ago, roadie for a long while... a few years ago, I rented a Santa Cruz Hightower from The Path bike shop in Tustin, loved it...planning to get myself a FS 29er when life allows...
Anyway, I like that shop and they have a nice rental fleet with rental fees applicable to future purchases, which you may already know, but they are a great resource here in OC, IMO.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:37 PM

Simply enough, I would go for a light travel full sus 29er.

There is so much out there, so much that one might end up riding a ton of stuff and overwhelming the pool before actually deciding on one.

Nimble enough, all day comfort and the positive attributes a 29er sized wheel brings seems like a pretty good path to follow when looking for mtb imho

Ive ridden em all; 26er hardtail (rigid and 80/100mm forks), 29er hardtail ( SS, rigid SS, and 100mm fork), 130 front and rear full sus 29er. and a 140/130 front/rear full sus 27.5.

I still go back to my full sus 29er for most rides. I did recently pick up a 27.5 here and am really loving it but can tell the difference in momentum VS a 29er.

And +1 for a dropper, tubeless and 1x shimano
Old 05-18-2019, 04:41 PM

Rent a few if you can, you'll feel like Rip van Winkle. The geo, drooper post, brakes and drivetrain work in a way that's going to boggle your mind

Specialized, Scott and rocky mountain have a few trail bikes in FS in you price range with good parts on an aluminum frame with a pretty sorted suspension design. Sounds like a 29er with 120 to 150mm of travel. Avoid a 650b at all costs unless it's of the plus variety. Many of those are disappearing, thankfully

Have and count your teeth
Old 05-18-2019, 04:43 PM

Echoing a lot of sentiments here.
To me it sounds like youre looking for a Hardtail.

Features wise id look for:
Boost spacing (seems to be easiest to find wheels)
Tubeless
1x (for all the reasons stated above)
Dropper post
+ sizing ie 27.5+/29+--Makes it so you can switch wheelsize and still fit a decent size tire.

I think wheel size and frame size is very subjective-I prefer a 27.5 but I'm also 5'7" I ride about the same size road frame as you but my mtb is a 20''.

I think you should think about what features you want and then go and demo frames with your build spec. I think you'll find that you will be happy on many different bikes.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:21 PM

Thanks a bunch, folks.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:26 PM

I was in pretty much the same boat > lots of mtb in the ‘90s, and then nothing until last year. I got a 29er hardtail that was amazing. Did some rides, did some races. I just sold the HT and got a xc-oriented trail bike (or trailish xc race bike) with 120mm travel front and rear. I made the switch because I like xc marathon and the FS makes a difference.

There is some good advice in the thread: rent or borrow to try before buying. Unless you’re vertically challenged, get 29 wheels. $3k will get you plenty of bike.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:43 PM

Rent to find out what will work for your area and the riding you intend to do. One man's basic trail riding is another's double black. There is a huge difference between types of mountain biking and styles of riding. The size of MTB people prefer is all over the place as well. The only way to really know is to try a bunch out and see what you like.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:44 PM

I was in a similar situation to you and settled on a YT Jeffsy 29. It is a great bike but took some getting used to as the geometry is SO different than my hardtail 26 that I was used to riding. Now about 10 rides in my old bike feels twitchy and nervous on any real descents. If I had to do it again I would demo a whole bunch more bikes before choosing. I think that given the amount of climbing I end up doing a bike with a bit less travel might have served me better but the Jeffsy is super fun once you point it downhill. I think that based on your criteria some bikes that come to mind include:

Ibis Ripley (prob at the top of the list but expensive)
Intense Sniper Trail
Santa Cruz Tallboy or 5010
Norco Revolver
Giant Trance
Whyte S-120

I think I would stay away from XC race bikes if you're not racing. No reason to not give yourself a fun time on the descents particularly as shorter travel trail bikes climb so well.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:31 PM

Lots of good advice here. My 2 cents, add the Specialized Epic to your list.of bikes to check out..